Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:56 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times

Advertisements

Okay, so my new foster dog had intestinal worms, so I dewormed her with Panacur earlier in the week doing the three day treatment. Her stools have been solid, but not "firm" even still. I don't see any more worms, so I don't think that is the problem. Anyways, I decided to give her 1-2 Tbspns of canned pumpkin puree (not the pumpkin pie spice) mixed in with her regular food yesterday evening, and this morning she had a very loose stool. In fact, she lost control of her bowels before we even made it out the door for our morning walk. She's never done that before.

I've never heard of pumpkin causing diarrhea... quite the opposite. Has anyone else had this happen? I haven't given her any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 08:06 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
pumpkin is used to firm stools in a dog with diahhrea in SMALL amounts (teaspoons not tablespoons unless you have a giant breed) in dogs with normal stools however pumpkin can cause diahrrea.
its high in fiber and moisture...in loose stool the fiber binds helping firm up while the moisture aids in reliving dehydration.

in normal stools however the fiber (just like in people) can help you go...the added moisture snt needed so isnt readily used by the body. add to that "new" foods esepcially if given a little too much frequently causes runny poop.

i use pumpkin if we have an upset tummy, loose we give em to firm up, constipated we give them a little extra to help em go.

deworming often also causes diahrrea

also the dewormer could have upset her gut flora and fauna in a big way (just like antibiotics do) which combines with a new food could have made her tummy quite upset. id try adding some good quality yogurt (live, unsweetend) or get some pro-biotics for her to help get her system back into shape.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:13 AM

Great suggestions, thank you! I will try the yogurt and I have some probiotics on hand. Will let you know how it goes (no pun intended ).

Old 10-09-2011, 08:40 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
I was going to suggest the dewormer also as a probable source of the problem. It is also possible that your new pup is allergic to or intolerant of pumpkin. We feed our dogs a bit of pumpkin daily though with good results. Try the probiotics. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 AM

I'm not sure if it's the dewormer since we started her on it 8 days ago and finished the treatment 5 days ago. The loose stool happened today. It could just be that her intestinal flora is still messed up from that though, in addition to new food and stress. Oh, I just remembered that I used Revolution on her 2 days ago and I think I read that it can cause loose stools in rare cases. Maybe that's it too?

Old 10-09-2011, 10:20 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Artie used to have notoriously soft stools (although NOT diarrhea) -- they were the bane of my existence -- and the few times that I tried giving him pumpkin to firm it up, his poop came out the same as the pumpkin -- soft and orange.

After much trial and error, and after many talks with the vet, she suggested that I give him a teaspoon of Metamucil with each meal. Just sprinkle it on his kibble, shake up the bowl so that it gets distributed, and that's it.

Unlike how Metamucil works for humans (making it easier for us to poop by softening it up), for whatever reason, it actually firms up dogs' stools.

I really didn't believe my vet that it would work, but figured that I'd give it a try. AND IT WORKED!!! He's still getting it with his meals, twice per day. It's been about a year and a half. It's magical.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:42 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Nanners' chronic diarrhea hasn't happened since March 3, the longest period of firm logs she's had since joining this household back in 07. I instituted 3 changes and don't know which one or combination thereof resulted in this wonderful result, so I'm sticking with all 3. They are:

• A strict diet and increased exercise with resulting weight loss of 40 pounds
• Daily Pet Tabs Plus multivitamin
• One heaping tablespoon of canned pumpkin twice a day

Old 10-10-2011, 07:25 AM

Firm, solid stools today! Mixed a little plain Greek yogurt in with her regular food and some acidophilus sprinkled on top for her evening meal last night, and it appears to have done the trick.

Thank you all for all the suggestions. I'm going to keep them in mind should the loose poops return.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Firm, solid stools today! Mixed a little plain Greek yogurt in with her regular food and some acidophilus sprinkled on top for her evening meal last night, and it appears to have done the trick.

Thank you all for all the suggestions. I'm going to keep them in mind should the loose poops return.
Fabulous news!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
with resulting weight loss of 40 pounds
Holy moly! Good for you guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs