Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times

Advertisements

Sunflower oil is so healthy even for humans. You should try to find some, Sam.

Since my dogs depend on me so greatly, I don't want to let them down. I'm going to need to ease into this to make sure I've got what it takes to do it right. I've decided that I'm going to start with Nature's Recipe (Royal Canin doesn't have venison). After slowly weening them off the lamb and rice, I'll slowly start adding fresh foods to the Nature's Recipe. Once I get a feel for it, I'll decide whether I can commit completely to a raw/fresh only diet. Otherwise, I'll continue to suppliment their meals with quality human foods.

Thank you everone for your tips! I'm looking so forward to incorporating many of your ideas into my goal plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 07:38 PM

181 posts, read 1,077,072 times
Hope this helps:
BARF for Beginners - Most Frequently Asked Questions

Old 11-07-2007, 06:01 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,553,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ91 View Post
Great Info. Thank You so much.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:36 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,405,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markablue View Post
Something my dogs (and the cat, too) adore is white rice or barley cooked in regular broth on fat pork and lots of vegetables. I don't think it's very original but when I saw my cat along with the dogs virtually gobbling down the carrots, I was in shock!

As to the portions, I guess it depends on the dog. I didn't have this problem, because I just gave them the whole pot and they only ate as much as they could so next time I knew. Some dogs aren't like that, though. They would eat until they drop so it may be dangerous.

Besides, you will never be sure to provide them with all the necessary nutrients and vitamins on homemade food. My vet told me I'd need to have them monitored carefully and enrich their diet with vitamin supplements. This is the reason I decided to stick to dry food, eventually. I use Pro-Formance. I'm not sure if it's available where you live but a good equivalent would be Royal Canin. I don't think it will be recalled?

Anyway, whatever you decide, I think the most important thing would be to consult a good vet, first. They could provide you with some recipes, advise on the portions and vitamins. Especially if you suspect your dog may be allergic.

Good luck
Marka,

I don't recommend grains or veggies for cats. You can read more on cat nutrition here: Basics of Cat Nutrition.

greenie

Old 11-09-2007, 07:41 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,405,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
What size dog do you have, Hopes? I've fed an exclusively raw diet for about 10 years, long before raw was in vogue! I have Rottweilers, but I do have some great combos and I can tell you how much you can feed and maybe you can tweak that accordingly?

Why do you think your pet has allergies, and what are you feeding right now? Look on the bag or can - if there is any wheat gluten, corn, or preservatives in there, bang - you've probably hit it, and it most likely is corn. There was a recent thread on Homemade Pet Foods - if you do a search you may come up with some info, but I'll be glad to help you any way I can. My "glop" as it is fondly known around here came from a champion breeder of titled show Rottweilers who has been feeding raw for about 20 years.
Way back when, Jack Lalanne fed his dogs raw meat! Watch his dog diet video here:
YouTube - Jack Lalanne - The Dog Diet

Old 12-03-2007, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,271 times
Smile homemade dog food

Hi, I want to find some receipes for making dog food, but have been online and no luck finding any. Have you found any? If so please send them to me.
Thankyou, Blossomangel

Old 12-03-2007, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,271 times
Default kind of dogs

I have 2 black labs. They are 4 and 5 yrs. old and females. Both have been fixed, and I need homemade reicpes for them.
Thanks, Blossomanel

Last edited by blossomangel; 12-03-2007 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: need to retype my name it is blossomangel

Old 12-03-2007, 10:04 PM

181 posts, read 1,077,072 times
The big mistake people make when making homemade diets for their pets is they don't know if it is Balanced or not. Unless you have a degree in animal nutrition, how would you? I highly recommend you spending a couple of hours on this site.

http://www.petdiets.com/default.asp?...Name=/main.asp

A lot of unbiased useful information by board certified veterinarian nutritionist.
They don't sell any products, just consultation on how to make you pets homemade diet balanced. You still can get a ton of useful information for free on the site. Check it out before you start your pets homemade diet.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:43 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,560,349 times
Sam, you got a lot of work involved in those mixes but bless your heart, that's awesome. Trully, it's not that complex, but it sounds time consuming. However, deals like that is worth it and I will keep that in mind. Fish, head in all in the bowL? I bet taht's quite a treat for them! If I was a dog, I'd be all over taht!

I hear a few of you have meat grinders. Aren't those expenisve to purchase? They might be the investment to boot for a pet owner since a lot of meat stores don't grind certain meats anymore. I know my family has a hard time finding anyone to grind lamb let alone some other meats.

I hope the main poster has gotten the key point in this recipe is NO COOKED MEAT OR BONE. Everyone will agree it's much much better for dogs ,and cats alike, to not have cooked meat since their digestive systems are built to break down raw, unlike humans.

My own suggestion that I am currently researching is called Oma's Pride. Both my boyfriend's grandma and mother use them for their raw mixes. They don't have to do the work, just order what they want and they will mix it for them. It looks reasonably priced too though I'm no bargain shopper like you Sam I Am.

So, I suggest to check out Oma's Pride Home and let me know what you all think about it...

Old 04-05-2008, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,060 times
Can anyone suggest any websites with dog food recipes. Im switching to cooking for my dogs but Im really having a hard time with portion size. My dogs are large breed, 80lbs and 100lbs. Im just not sure how much to feed them now??
help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs