Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:23 AM

130 posts, read 902,581 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My dog has a bad case of diarrhea.
If it doesn't get better i'll take her to the vet but i want to make her some rice.
I used to do this for a dog i had years ago and i always used white rice and i'd prefer that now as i think it's easier to digest but all i have in the kitchen is brown rice.
Is there any reason not to give her brown rice?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
White rice is binding; brown rice is not.

Go with white rice. I don't think the brown rice will help at all.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
White rice is binding; brown rice is not.

Go with white rice. I don't think the brown rice will help at all.
That's what i was wondering about .... whether or not brown rice is binding. If it's not, i see no reason to give it to her.
Thank you.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:39 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
While you're out, get some plain canned pumpkin to go with the white rice. The kind with nothing but pumpkin in it. Nanners is very susceptible to diarrhea and I deal with it a lot.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
While you're out, get some plain canned pumpkin to go with the white rice. The kind with nothing but pumpkin in it. Nanners is very susceptible to diarrhea and I deal with it a lot.
That pumpkin stuff never worked for Artie. He's so difficult about EVERYTHING! Pumpkin goes in orange and mushy ... and comes out the same way. For Artie. Always for Artie.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:52 AM

He's a handful that Artie. Send him to Jack's boot camp.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 AM

I'm concerned about the diarrhea but i'm almost more concerned that she's not drinking any water!
She had her first little bout with the diarrhea two days ago and then all day yesterday.
I took her out early this morning and she still had diarrhea but with just a hint of firming happening.
(sorry to be so graphic but we're all used to looking at our dogs poop i imagine).
I don't know what she ate.
There's lots of snow on the ground so there's not much that she can get into but we were up by a creek the other day (we're in the rockies) and it was unusually warm and we were hanging out by the water and she pulled a stick out of the water to chew and i did notice that there was a lot of algae (seemed like more than normal) on all the rocks in the water and it was on the stick she was chewing on too.
Then i just remembered yesterday that algae (not sure which kind ... blue green?) can be dangerous for dogs.
So that's a concern and that she's not drinking water is troubling.
Perhaps a vet visit is in order today?
She looks and seems fine .... bright eyes and lots of energy ... no signs of pain or discomfort.
She's a 5 year old Border Collie btw.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:58 AM

Until you establish what's normal for your dog, I'd see a vet. I discovered through trial and error how long Nanners can go before I start thinking vet. YMMV though.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
He's a handful that Artie. Send him to Jack's boot camp.
Be on the lookout for a barking box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireeskye View Post
I'm concerned about the diarrhea but i'm almost more concerned that she's not drinking any water!
She had her first little bout with the diarrhea two days ago and then all day yesterday.
I took her out early this morning and she still had diarrhea but with just a hint of firming happening.
(sorry to be so graphic but we're all used to looking at our dogs poop i imagine).
I don't know what she ate.
There's lots of snow on the ground so there's not much that she can get into but we were up by a creek the other day (we're in the rockies) and it was unusually warm and we were hanging out by the water and she pulled a stick out of the water to chew and i did notice that there was a lot of algae (seemed like more than normal) on all the rocks in the water and it was on the stick she was chewing on too.
Then i just remembered yesterday that algae (not sure which kind ... blue green?) can be dangerous for dogs.
So that's a concern and that she's not drinking water is troubling.
Perhaps a vet visit is in order today?
She looks and seems fine .... bright eyes and lots of energy ... no signs of pain or discomfort.
She's a 5 year old Border Collie btw.
I'm a bit of an alarmist but if it were me, seeing as she's not drinking, I think I'd take her to the vet.

That said, Artie threw up twice this morning, didn't drink, had soft poop, and I let it go. He just ate his breakfast -- it's 1.56pm -- so I think he just needed to work it out of his system.

Diarrhea AND not drinking, though? I'm more concerned. Typically, when you have diarrhea, you NEED to drink to rehydrate.

Yeah, best to be safe and take her to the vet. At the very least, call your vet and tell them what's going on and maybe they can give you some tips over the phone.

PS. Too graphic about poop? It's never TOO graphic!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:01 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,283 times
Make the rice really mushy, at least that way she will get some water in her if she's not drinking. I would still take her to the vet. Having diarrhea and not drinking is a concern with her getting dehydrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs