Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:58 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times

Advertisements

Or are Baltimore cops a special kind of stupid?

Baltimore Police Dog Training Video - Video - EvilChili - Funny Clips, Articles and More - Updated Daily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 10:15 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times
My vote is for special kind of stupid.

That is not how K9s are trained. The handler should not be working with dogs.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:10 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
I couldn't even watch the whole thing...that was awful. Poor dog.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:40 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
I would like to know the whole story - it looks like he was discipling the dog for slight handler agression and the dogs do need to know who is boss as a lot of bite dogs have a chip on their shoulder but.........I am not sure I get the approach.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:36 AM

1,369 posts, read 714,758 times
He's not hurting the dog... maybe this is how attack dogs are trained? I don't know about the alpha rolls etc... we are told they are bad, but I am not a dog expert. Obviously, he is under the training of a dog expert (you can hear directions in the background).
The dog is stressed... but not being hurt. Save your outrage for the cases where there is actual abuse, and not just training methods you disapprove of.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:22 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
I agree, stupid yes, abusive no. Alpha roll used to be a pretty accepted method of training and it may work with some few dogs, but this dog obviously wasn't learning a damn thing from it.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:07 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Yep gotta agree a special kind of stupid and wonder if he treats his kids this way if they dont get something right ? he is abusive and should not even be a cop . I think this guy needs a pshyc eval and pronto !!! If he treats animals this way how does he treat other things or people in his life ? I would like to take him off his feet and treat him this way . He thinks because he carries a gun and a badge he has special rights and can abuse an animal and not face any consequences ? Boy I sure hope his captain sees this and fires him he is a disgrace to the uniform and proffesion ...!!!!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:28 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,181 times
Well, it is a Belgian Malinois and they are high energy dogs. It looks like he is trying to show dominance over the dog and make him lay down everytime he says that phrase. I saw the dog jumping and pulling several times while the handler was just standing there. This isn't Lassie or your stay at home dog... this dog has to do what the handler says 100% of the time and will be subjected to loud noises (gun shots, yelling, etc) and large crowds where he will have to pay attention to the handler.
Also, take a look at the dog's tail throughout the video. He is wagging it while standing up and not tucking it between his legs. The dog isn't miserable. I know my German Shepherd loves when I wrestle him and sit on top of him.

My suggestion to the OP is to let the police and military train their dogs however they need to, and worry about your own dog. I get tired of PETA people and the like posting small clips of animals doing anything other than frolicking in a field full of flowers and claiming they are abused. If you care so much, you should be volunteering at your local shelter to find homes for all the dogs that are euthanized.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Well, it is a Belgian Malinois and they are high energy dogs. It looks like he is trying to show dominance over the dog and make him lay down everytime he says that phrase. I saw the dog jumping and pulling several times while the handler was just standing there. This isn't Lassie or your stay at home dog... this dog has to do what the handler says 100% of the time and will be subjected to loud noises (gun shots, yelling, etc) and large crowds where he will have to pay attention to the handler.
Also, take a look at the dog's tail throughout the video. He is wagging it while standing up and not tucking it between his legs. The dog isn't miserable. I know my German Shepherd loves when I wrestle him and sit on top of him.

My suggestion to the OP is to let the police and military train their dogs however they need to, and worry about your own dog. I get tired of PETA people and the like posting small clips of animals doing anything other than frolicking in a field full of flowers and claiming they are abused. If you care so much, you should be volunteering at your local shelter to find homes for all the dogs that are euthanized.
Well said.

Our hunting dog is being trained completely different from our house dogs.

I was very upset when the first trainer let him kill things but, I do understand the idea that he has to end the chase in victory.

He can never eat anything but his dog food from HIS bowl.

That is so he does not stop and eat bear bait in the woods.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
I don't think this is worth making a big stink over either. I do think with this dog they need to go to Plan B though. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs