Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 PM

522 posts, read 1,855,370 times

Advertisements

My job may possibly relocate me to Warren Michigan which I hear is a little north of Detroit.

I hear all the bad stuff about detroit but I hear some good things about the suburbans, mainly north and east of Detroit.

I was just curious about the suburbs in general and if the school systems are any good, I have a 2yr old at home and I'd like to position myself into a better school for her. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 02:51 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,819 times
Sorry nobody from the area has responded yet, but I'm sure they will. I grew up in the Detroit area and used to work in Warren. I have been away for almost 15 years and things do change. But, from what I remember there are lots of very nice, safe suburbs of Detroit. Warren was a nice blue collar community and I think the schools were pretty good although I know there are better schools in other suburbs like Birmingham or Bloomfield Hills but housing is also alot more expensive there. Try doing a search on GreatSchools.net site. Good Luck!

Old 05-15-2009, 02:56 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,537 times
Warren borders Detroit. There are good areas and bad areas of Warren. It's basically what we call a bedroom community. Born basically in the 60's from the auto boom, as GM has there tech center in Warren along with their powertrain plant, and Chrysler has a big plant in Warren. I lived at 12 mile and Van Dyke and it was a typical middle class neighborhood. Center Line schools are pretty good which covers parts of Warren. Warren Woods and Warren Consolidated are good as well. If looking in Warren, try staying north of 11 mile. The areas over by 13 mile and Hoover on down to Schoenherr are real nice. Other cities to consider around Warren that would be great for families are Sterling Heights, St Clair Shores, or Fraser. Most of the crime in Warren is in the southern part of the city along the Detroit border. The cities I listed above are low crime and have great schools and are typical middle class family cities. Warren also fits that bill, just depends on where you go. There is also a small section of Center Line that is nice. Center Line is right in the middle of Warren. They have great schools. There you want to look between 10 and 11 mile, between Van Dyke and Lorraine.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:02 PM

902 posts, read 1,925,769 times
I'm at 10 mile Rd. and Van Dyke in Center Line , it's basically a city in the middle of a city (Warren ) It's a nice quiet town , schools are pretty good like scolls said . And I agree with everything scolls said

Old 05-15-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Sorry nobody from the area has responded yet, but I'm sure they will. I grew up in the Detroit area and used to work in Warren. I have been away for almost 15 years and things do change. But, from what I remember there are lots of very nice, safe suburbs of Detroit. Warren was a nice blue collar community and I think the schools were pretty good although I know there are better schools in other suburbs like Birmingham or Bloomfield Hills but housing is also alot more expensive there. Try doing a search on GreatSchools.net site. Good Luck!

Birmingham and Bloomfield are at least 5 times more expensive areas than Warren. Center Line, Warren Consolidated (Which covers Sterling Heights as well) and Warren Woods are perfectly fine districts. Van Dyke schools and Fitzgerald not so much.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:26 PM

866 posts, read 4,256,761 times
Honestly, if you are not looking into the far northern reaches of Warren I would look into Sterling Heights or Shelby Twp to the north of Warren. These cities are easy to commute too from Warren.

Sadly, many parts of Warren have gotten hit very hardly by the foreclosure crisis and there are thousands of empty homes in Warren right now, many which don't even mow their lawns, it just takes down the entire neighborhood and you don't want to be in that situation.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:31 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
Honestly, if you are not looking into the far northern reaches of Warren I would look into Sterling Heights or Shelby Twp to the north of Warren. These cities are easy to commute too from Warren.

Sadly, many parts of Warren have gotten hit very hardly by the foreclosure crisis and there are thousands of empty homes in Warren right now, many which don't even mow their lawns, it just takes down the entire neighborhood and you don't want to be in that situation.
Ahhhh. Sorry to hear that. Use to be quite nice. What a shame...

Old 05-15-2009, 05:39 PM

866 posts, read 4,256,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Ahhhh. Sorry to hear that. Use to be quite nice. What a shame...
I know, it's very sad, I have and had family history in Warren, my aunt lived their for at least 30+ years until she moved out in 2005/2006. She happend to move to a condo in Shelby Twp.

It's sad to see once once lively city decline, Warren is and was very largely automotive based.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:54 PM

62 posts, read 133,220 times
I live in Shelby Township and our city has forclosures. Its happening everywhere. My family lives
at 14 Mile and Hayes, on the border of Fraser. Very nice area and the schools are good. I graduated from Fitzgerald High School at 9 Mile and Ryan and I would not recommend sending your
children to that High School. My girlfriends sister teaches there and I work with someone whose
nieces attend Fitzgerald and its not good. I would recommend the norther part of Warren, Sterling Heights, Clawson, Royal Oak, and Fraser. These areas are affordable. Royal Oak is nice, but it still may be a little pricey. Hope this helps? You can send me a message if you have any other questions.

Best of Luck.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:22 PM

Warren is not as bad as Dexterguy has said. Their are foreclosures everywhere in the Detroit area. My uncle lives in Sterling Heights at 15 and Mound and the houses on all sides of him foreclosed. The bad areas of Warren are between 8 and 9 Mile. I personally wouldn't be afraid to live in any area of Warren but with kids you may want to stick to 11 mile. If you search the sex offender list for zip code 48091, you'll get about 100 names. That zip code is in the 9 mile and Ryan, 9 Mile and Dequindre area. My old zip code of 48093 turns up only about 20 names and that is the 11 mile corridor between Van Dyke and Hoover. The area between 11 Mile and 14 Mile hasn't been hit as hard as the area between 8 and 10 mile.

A lot of people on here will feel you have to be as far away from Detroit as possible. If Warren doesn't do it for you, I highly recommend St Clair Shores. Very low crime anywhere in the city, good schools, good middle class nieghborhood, and close to Warren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit