Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 11,770 times

Advertisements

Hi there-

I am moving back from FL to Des Moines after being away for 15 years. I am looking at a house in the Cottage Grove area.

Can anyone tell me how safe this area is now? I know it used to not be very safe, but it seems to be an up and coming area.

Feel free to email me at jkkelly230@hotmail.com

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 06:22 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times
Cottage Grove is definately improving. The further west you go, the better it gets. There have been a ton of beautiful rehabs in that area, some catching $300,000 and up. The area overall is not too bad. If you stay south of University you should be ok.

If you can post some cross streets, we can pinpoint the safety of the area.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:24 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,103 times
I live on Cottage Grove and it's a beautiful street. Largely intact hisorically too. Plenty of renovation has gone here, but I would still recommend living west of 31st Street if you want to get out of the crunchy parts of the Drake Neighborhood. There's been some beautiful renovations of historic homes east of 31st Street, but there's several apartment buildings that aren't well cared for and attract a lower income crowd. I wouldn't really call Cottage Grove dangerous, but I suppose you would still find some property crime in the area. There are a decent amount of places that lure Drake University students, but it's not really the party atmosphere you find near a larger university campus. As long as you're not purchasing one of the $300,000-$400,000 homes, my bet is that you'll make plenty of money on your investment. I moved into a starter home 3 years ago and had the assessed value shoot through the roof since I've been here, mostly due to the amount of renovations and desireability of the area being close to downtown and several smaller pockets of intown semi-trendy commercial districts.

Let me know if you have questions about the area, I feel I know it well.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:14 PM

39 posts, read 220,026 times
Cottage Grove has improved a lot in the past few years. I've walked around that area late at night without any problems. I haven't heard of any violent crime in the area. It is a much better area than, say, MLK and University or MLK and Forest. You are within walking distance of Drake University. There are coffee shops and a few stores in the area around 25th Street and University. Don't miss out on the barbecue joint just east of 25th and Cottage Grove!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:42 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times
You also may check out the area around Ingersoll. I love that area.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 11,770 times
Default Address

Sorry for the delay-the address of the house on Cottage Grove is 2715. It sounds as though that is a safe area.

Wish me luck-topical storm Fay is going to hit us tomorrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines