Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 55,800 times

Advertisements

We are a lesbian couple moving to Denver or Aurora. Is Aurora a gay friendly community? I think we are shooting for Aurora modtly..any advice would be helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:59 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Generally speaking, I'd say yes. I believe there is another poster here who lives in Aurora and is gay. Aurora is big and has neighborhoods that range from older with mostly Hispanic immigrants to new suburban neighborhoods. Some areas are nice, some a big rough.

Denver is very gay friendly and has a higher than average percentage of gay residents.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:42 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emol2127 View Post
We are a lesbian couple moving to Denver or Aurora. Is Aurora a gay friendly community? I think we are shooting for Aurora modtly..any advice would be helpful. Thanks
Any person can live in Aurora somewhere and get along just fine.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:24 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,030 times
If you are strictly wanting an opinion on where to live if you are gay, I would stick with Denver. Capitol Hill, Cheesman Park, Baker, Congress and the Highlands all have strong gay communities within them, oh and add Stapleton. There are less opposing views in these neighborhoods and no mega churches that practice the "hate the sin but love the sinner" phobia.

Aurora is a large place and has much to offer, especially with housing and proximity to suburban lifestyles. One of our offices is there and I have noticed changes as most folks are realizing that gay is not a choice, however, with several co-workers who live in Aurora, it is the same old phobic view - just more hushed.

Check out Out Front Colorado, the local paper for gay issues and check out where the businesses are located and what is happening where.

Out Front Colorado - Colorado's Largest GLBT Publication

Old 05-24-2009, 05:18 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,127 times
straight black family here. we just moved into the farm at arapahoe county a year ago and spent the past year working for the obama campaign going door to door chatting with folks in the neighborhood of sw aurora area about everything, including gay rights. as witnessed by the last election, arapahoe county is changing from conservative to more progressive and liberal. many of the folks I spoke to were people from out of state or from denver with a more progressive view. there were also folks who'd lived here for a few years and were dying for more progressives to move in. I'd think it would be fine to move here. Yes, you'd probably encounter more out lesbians in denver, but it depends on what other things you'd like for your family.

we had to make that choice too, denver or aurora, and chose aurora, mostly because of the diversity and the suburban nature of it. it's not as progressive, but it's getting there, and it's diverse (well, as diverse as you can get here in colorado) and the schools are good where we are, plus the lot sizes are much larger. we just couldn't face being on a teeny lot in the city. anyway, we'd love to have you as neighbors . aurora is turning funky, slowly but surely. we just need some more funky folks to move in

btw, we don't go to a mega church, lol. we're episcopalians, so we're going into denver to church because we wanted a glbt friendly/ethnically-racially diverse/progressive church. had to go into the city to find it. living here and driving occasionally out of the area was worth it to us. depends on what you want .

Old 05-26-2009, 12:00 AM

10 posts, read 25,120 times
WOW i'm very glad someone started this, i'm a 21 year old gay male, originally from eastern europe [bosnia] and i'm interested in moving to the north aurora area within the next few weeks, i'm very interested in making sure it's safe for me as a gay-non american! I've lived in Jacksonville, Florida as well as Chicago, Portland and Las Vegas! I know there is a mini bosnian population in Denver/Aurora area, PLEASE tell us more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver