Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:26 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,344,308 times

Advertisements

Photos taken this evening in the same exact spot as the first picture in this tour. No photo-touching whatsoever was done. Normal camera setting. Arizona roll over!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 PM

754 posts, read 1,742,118 times
Phenomenal I cannot wait to visit CO this year (God willing)

Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,488,939 times
Quote:
both from reading the posts here and talking to my neighbors, is that people don't live here for the "city life." We've moved here because we wanted a great school district for our kids (Cherry Creek SD), a safe place to shop and eat out, a reasonable drive to the city (I've found that North on the 470 to the 70 and head West does the trick in 35 minutes right to downtown), and a fairly new house at a reasonable price.
You and your neighbors moved there because of price. You convinced yourself you moved there for other reasons. Proximity to the city will never be among those things no matter how much delusion is involved.

Good schools are everywhere. Eating at strip malls can be done anywhere. Sustainable housing is anywhere but there.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:34 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,508,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
You and your neighbors moved there because of price. You convinced yourself you moved there for other reasons. Proximity to the city will never be among those things no matter how much delusion is involved.

Good schools are everywhere. Eating at strip malls can be done anywhere. Sustainable housing is anywhere but there.
Why can't you accept that 35 minutes to downtown Denver is close enough to the city for many people?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Why can't you accept that 35 minutes to downtown Denver is close enough to the city for many people?
From someone with a name that indicates they are a part of the problem. I work now and then in Orange County CA with idiots who commute 2 hours each way every single day. 35 minutes (which by the way it only is at 3AM with zero accidents) is not Denver. It might as well be Kansas.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,508,188 times
Quote:
From someone with a name that indicates they are a part of the problem. I work now and then in Orange County CA with idiots who commute 2 hours each way every single day. 35 minutes (which by the way it only is at 3AM with zero accidents) is not Denver. It might as well be Kansas.
I'm confident the couple of million or so people who live in Denver metro but not Denver proper would beg to differ with you. The metro does not end at the Denver city and county limits.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:27 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,344,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'm confident the couple of million or so people who live in Denver metro but not Denver proper would beg to differ with you. The metro does not end at the Denver city and county limits.
It's kind of hard to argue against someone's religion. Unfortunately even though this troll you responded to above, who never has contributed a single sentence worth of value to this forum, is on my ignore list, his vile mindless spew still shows up on my screen when others quote him. Take my advice and just ignore him.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
No doubt, there is a lot to be said for many of the suburbs. Great areas for some people for a number of reasons.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,976,777 times
Denver has some of the best suburbs in America beacause 1)Denver has built so many town centers/power centers in the suburbs, 2)Suburban lot space per house is smaller than other cities' suburbs, which is a tool against sprawl run amok. Smaller lots creates a more efficient density and promotes more efficient water usage. (each family uses less sprinkler water if they have less lot space). 3)Most of Denver's suburbs have neighborhood parks or if not, then parks within a mile or two of most every house. 4)Denver's suburbs have a grid street pattern just like the city core does, which distributes traffic more efficiently by creating alternate routes, a tool much favored by new urbanist planners. 5)All the trails and sidewalks, an amenity much favored by new urbanist planners.

You'll not find too many other cities that has all 5 of those items in abundance in the suburbs like Denver does. And Aurora with its Southlands power center is one of the best. I have to thank vegaspilgrim for posting the pics of Southlands. They are the only pics I've seen thus far besides a little from google maps street view, but google maps doesn't go all the way into the interior.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:09 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,160,450 times
Quote:

Wow. And here I thought you were actually someone who wanted to CONTRIBUTE to a posting. You have no idea what "me and my neighbors" were thinking when we moved out here. My neighbor works at Centennial Airport. The other neighbor works at Cherry Creek Water & Sanitation District (down the street). My husband works at DIA...on the far east end of the city. Where would you like us to move? Somewhere "sustainable"? And where would that be? The fact that he only has to drive 20 minutes to work (that's from our driveway to the parking lot of his office) means that he spends less time in traffic, uses less gas and doesn't waste family time. I wanted my kids to have sidewalks and cul de sacs to ride their bikes, a yard to play in and be able to walk to school. Forgive me (and the rest of us) if that doesn't fit in with whatever plan you think we should live by.

As for the statement about "good schools are everywhere." Really? The facts would prove otherwise.

Also, those of you who think that strip malls and food chains are only for the "ignorant masses" are a joke. When I need clothes or shoes for my kids, the very last thing on my mind is "where can I find a locally owned place to shop?" I need something at an affordable price (since my kids will likely outgrow them in a few months). A $5 t-shirt from Target will get the same use as a $40 t-shirt from a locally owned store. And I am not going to find a babysitter (or worse, take my kids) to a fancy downtown (non-chain) restaurant. We don't have $100 to spend on eating out (or hiring a babysitter). I'm sure the food is great but our strip mall has great places to eat too. Perhaps our palattes are not as "sophisticated" at yours. Finally, if you don't like eating at chain restaurants, then Colorado is not the place for you. There are slim pickings here in our state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver