Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 11:07 AM

8 posts, read 19,114 times

Advertisements

First, thank you to all of the users that have written on this forum. I have found your posts informative and useful.

I will be transferring to work in Denver (downtown) within 6 months. I would sincerely appreciate any advice from residents with knowledge of the housing market in the Denver Metro area. Below are some details on my situation:
  • Seeking single-family home in or around Denver Metro area
  • Prefer to limit commute to 30-45 mintues each way
  • Looking for 3+ BR, 2+ Bath, 1,600 sq. ft. home
  • $200,000 to $250,000 price range
  • Prefer purchasing newer construction or building new, but definitely not required
  • Mid-twenties, no children, but do have two collies and we love outdoor activities!
  • Based on info from other posts, I have ruled out Aurora, but other than that, I am open to any suggestions.
  • Any advice on where to live, where not to live, good builders, bad builders, crime, demographics of certain areas, etc. is greatly appreciated.
  • Also, if I am off base on what I can get in my price range, please let me know.

If there is anything else I could tell you that would better enable you to help me, please let me know.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can offer advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 05:38 PM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
How long do you plan on living in this property? Overall, there is not much in your price range. How do you feel about either attached housing or a 45-60 minute commute?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:26 PM

I imagine we would be in the property 3-5 years. I am not completely oppposed to attached housing and would be willing to drive a little further if it was for a great community. Of the two, I would prefer to live closer and maybe snag a place for a year or two until I could afford a nicer place.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:35 PM

I would suggest something in the immediate suburban ring or even Denver - sorry it's older...maybe SE Denver/CCSD for resale value.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:01 AM

Thanks 2bindenver. Some of your posts have been the most informative on this board.
I will concentrate a little more on the SE Denver area. Pardon my ignorance, what is CCSD?

If anyone else has any recommendations (i.e. specific communities), it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:27 AM

Thank you.

CCSD=Cherry Creek School District. The best school district that serves Denver (and Centennial & southern "Aurora")

Another thought is to find a place near a light rail station and take that to work - no driving involved

Old 02-02-2007, 09:28 AM

14 posts, read 175,949 times
You can probably find something around $250,000 in Lakewood with your criteria (west suburb) and that's part of the Jeffco school district - which is a pretty decent school district. That's about a 20 minute commute to downtown -- depending on where in Lakewood. Lakewood is a large suburb, so some areas are pricier than the older neighborhoods. You might look at the area around 6th ave and Union. That does have a higher concentration of townhomes, but you can find some 60's style brick homes around there as well.

If you are willing to go condo or townhome -- some areas in Denver are do-able. As 2binDenver said, SE Denver is a good bet - since many of it falls within the Cherry Creek School district (non-Denver proper areas). Not all of it does though, so make sure to ask.

You can also find something in Aurora (east suburb) in that price range. I would stay south of Iliff Ave. though. Aurora is a huge suburb (300,000 people), and it has its good areas and bad areas. If you stay south of Iliff - you should be okay. This area of Aurora falls within the Cherry Creek School district and there are a lot of single family homes. This area was mostly built in the 70's and early 80's. The commute would be about 25-30 minutes -- depending on traffic.

In my opinion -- to get a good newer house in a good neighborhood that is closer to downtown, you would be looking at around at least $300,000. The new urban-style neighborhood of Stapleton has some new urban townhomes (think Cosby Show) for around $300,000. You won't find much choice around $250,000 in Stapleton though (maybe a condo?), but it is a great neighborhood with walkable distance to shops and parks - with great city schools. The average single family home in Stapleton is close to $500,000 now. It is about 10-15 minutes to get to downtown from Stapleton.

The best school districts in the metro area are Douglas County, Boulder Valley, and Cherry Creek. Jeffco is a huge school district that has great performing schools, and not-so-great ones -- so it's hard to average it. The Cherry Creek school district and parts of Jeffco would be the closest to downtown. There are also some great/good performing schools within Denver public schools (i.e. East High School, cherry creek neighborhood schools, Stapleton neighborhood schools).

Last edited by Mile High Denver; 02-02-2007 at 09:39 AM..

Old 02-02-2007, 02:58 PM

2bindenver and Mile High Denver, thanks a lot, you have been great.

This has been a great process for me to go through. I supposed my wants and needs are allowed to evolve during the process. Through your great posts and my hours of research, I believe my preference at this point would be the newer townhomes. I know my choices will be limited based on my budget of $250,000, but you have given me great areas to pursue.

Does anyone have any insight to the new construction in Westminster?

Outside of that, based on your recommendations, I will concentrate my search to SE Denver/CCSD and perhaps Westminster or Lakewood.

Again, thanks for everything.

Last edited by cavemanosu; 02-02-2007 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-02-2007, 03:05 PM

If the money is the same, but you are choosing between an older sfr and a new townhome...and you will only be there for 5 years...I would say take the older home.

Usually single family residence appreciate at a higher rate than attached housing.

Northern Denver has no light rail & parking is a pain in the downtown area...

Old 02-02-2007, 03:22 PM

Very good point. I don't know the townhome market in Denver, but that makes perfect sense that they wouldn't appreciate as quickly. I have been weary of townhomes/condos in my area but that was mainly because of where they were built and the urban sprawl in the area. If you were to sell in 3-5 years, you would be competing with the guy down the street building a brand new one!

This is going to take some serious MLS searching!

Ideally, I would like to narrow it down to 2 or 3 areas before heading out there to start my hunt.

I like what you and others have said about SE Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver