Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 03:59 PM

85 posts, read 474,841 times

Advertisements

I'm a Stay-at-Home mom here in Southern California. The weather here you can't beat as it's 60 out today and beautiful. However for the long term gain we're considering a relocation to Beautiful Colorado (Parker/Elizabeth area) sometime this year. On days like this, we spend time outside. What do you do when your weather keeps you inside? We don't have basements here, is it normal to keep small climbing type toys downstairs for exerting energy or do you do things outdoors? If outdoors, what do you do?

I'd really like to know as the weather change will be different for me and my little guy (20 mos).

Thank you kindly for all the responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 04:38 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,991 times
We've have a game room in our finished basement with foosball, air hockey, dart board, our boys collection of legos, and video games. We do also have a game closet and videos. Our kids are a bit older (10, 12, & 16) but basements are handy for kids of most ages to play in.

It is not all that often that we actually get housebound by the weather. When we do, it usually isn't for long. With these last 3 storms, there was only 1 day that we didn't go out of the house.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Thank you

I guess I should title this tread "Calling All Parents" as dad's can probably contribute too.

Ok, so outdoors, with other kids seems like fun but with little ones what would you suggest?

Old 01-06-2007, 04:51 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
With little toddlers, esp babies, sometimes the winter gets a bit long. I would bundle them up and go for a walk to the park, or if it is really cold, just around the block. (This is assuming people have shoveled their sidewalk! )Some people go to the mall, because some of the malls, such as the Cherry Creek Mall, have play areas for children. But I like the fresh air--and I don't care to get in a car just to take my kids out.
The amount of snow that Colorado has recently received is unusual. It can get really cold, and snow is possible from September to May, but this winter's snowfall is not typical, and usually you can go outside for a walk.
I used the stroller a lot, just so *I* could get out for exercise and change of scene--and meet other moms. There are lots of public parks in Denver.
As pgraceman says, you just make sure there is some room where they can play.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:17 PM

16 posts, read 136,475 times
Like others have said, most people (I've met at least) have playrooms in their basements if they have them. It is not unusual to put play equiptment indoors. My 18 month old daughter has a Little Tikes slide in her bedroom. We haven't been stranded inside very much, but with all of the snow it does make it a little bit difficult to go out, so I figure I might as well bring the outdoors in. I also try to have crafts on hand. The last storm we finger painted for the first time.

On another note, we moved here in October from California and we love it. We definately miss the beach, but not once have I regretted our decision. It is tons more affordable than California, tons of nightlife and music, great sports teams, and a lot of family friendly outdoor activities. We are really happy here and we can afford it. Yippee!!

Old 01-06-2007, 05:21 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMom View Post
I guess I should title this tread "Calling All Parents" as dad's can probably contribute too.
Duely noted Most of the time I ignore the thread topic and just read the posts.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Thank you fellow moms...anymore out there

Hi ladies,

Your replies are exactly what I was looking for. So nice to hear the different comments.

thank you.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:49 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
We totally understand what you guys are telling this lady about "getting outside" during the winters here, BUT, what if this lady, and her family, aren't use to cold weather or snow. All of you that make replies to this Thread are 100% use to the weather here in Colorado. What about people who have never lived in snow/cold weather before, and they are moving here mainly because the cost-of-living is cheaper, less crime, etc.. They love the weather where they are living, but can not afford to stay living there. Colorado IS a beautiful State, but there is "more" to this State than beauty. There is weather that happens here that can be hard for some people to get use to. Apparently where this lady lives in So Calif, she gets no snow and the winter weather is basically warm.
The above paragraph is the reason why some retired people have a house in two different States. We knew a couple in So. Calif (Costa Mesa) that lived there in the winter months and then moved back to Denver during the summer months. I have a 1/2 brother that does the same thing: him and his wife have a mobile home in Florida for during the winter and go back to PA to there house during the summer.
Basically, we are "summer people", so we do very little during the winter here. During the summer weekends, the place you find us the most is on a lake in our boat.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:00 PM

4 posts, read 6,106 times
Smile Buffalo n.y. mom would love info!

Hi! My husband and myself are in the beginning stages of planning a move to the denver area. I was hoping someone could give me some general ideas about the area. Currently we live in buffalo (a bigger city than you probobly think!) in a trendy area (but very family friendly). We will be looking for a house in the 170,000-200,000 range. I would love to be in the city itself(denver)-do families live in the city? how are the schools? Are there alot of things to do with your kids? My daughter is 5 and we are very active, always at the park or walking or something. How close are the ski resorts? we love to snowboard! Believe it or not buffalo is having the mildest winter ever and all the ski resorts are closed!!! thanx sooooo much to anyone who can give me a little advice!

Old 01-06-2007, 07:09 PM

16 posts, read 136,475 times
Default In response to LoveBoating

In response to LoveBoating... I understand your point of view, that Colorado has some harsh weather that is easier to explain then to live in.(3 storms..people told me the snow never stuck when I was getting ready to move here). My response was based off of my experiences in Colorado since Oct 2006. Prior to moving here, I had NEVER lived anywhere that it snowed. I did live in Southern California for a while, so I understand what type of weather CaMom is used. The weather is intense but even in the short time I have been here, the pros definately out way the cons.

Just wanted to weigh in....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: