Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2006, 02:11 PM

7 posts, read 59,803 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me a bit about these areas? How are they compared to the southern suberbs (i.e. Englewood, Littleton, etc.)? My fiance and I will be moving mid-January and are coming up this weekend to start our home search. We both will be working downtown and when I did a search on apts. w/in a 10 mile radius, I came accross some that looked nice in the subject areas. We are both in our late 20's, no kids, but have a 80# black lab that we adore. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 03:32 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
Default Depends

Overall, the northern and northeastern suburbs are considered less desirable (and much less expensive) than the southern and southwestern suburbs -- this, however, doesn't count areas near Boulder (which are more desirable for their proximity)

Of the three, Arvada probably has the best reputation as far as desirability goes but you will pay more for it. Westminster comes in next as it is partially in Jefferson County and closer to Boulder. Thornton is a pretty nice area (in my opinion) but the conventional wisdom is it is less desirable, and conventional wisdom does matter come resale-time.

One thing you should probably know is that we have a major problem right now with neighborhoods rapidly deteriorating due to foreclosures. Adams county is probably the worst place in the state for this trend. Things will get worse before they get better, and I expect Adams County real estate values to fall and once good neighborhoods will deteriorate. Beware!

I might suggest that, if you are planning on working downtown, that you consider one of Denver's historic neighborhoods like Highlands, Berkeley, Sloan's Lake (on the west/northwest), or Wash Park, Baker, etc on south, or Stapleton/Lowry if you like newer homes. I'm sure you know if this would be your cup of tea or not. You definitely will pay more for your housing in Denver than in the suburbs though, but many would say it's worth it. You're not likely to suffer from the above foreclosure spiral there, either, due to the fact that there is a high demand for buyers who want to live in Denver.

If you're more looking at the 'burbs -- I would caution you to consider your property value against this problem of falling prices and foreclosures. Although there are some nice homes up north and northeast, you might look west instead -- Jefferson County doesn't seem to have fallen in the foreclosures trap as much , except possibly for the northeast corner of it near Adams county.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:36 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
you probably need to rent a yard with a house attached for your dog.

You may be able to find a house for sale and close within two weeks, if you have good credit and a good sense of what you both like, and can make a decision, if need be. Or lease it for 6 months, if it is vacant.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:25 PM

7 posts, read 59,803 times
Thank you both for your quick replies. I had heard from others here (that have lived in CO) that the Southern areas are more desirable as well. We don't plan on purchasing a house any time soon. Especially with us moving to an area we know nothing about. But we like the idea of renting a house to have a yard for the pooch.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:10 AM

53 posts, read 491,963 times
If you are looking at renting.. try craigslist (www. .org) they have a good supply of listings everyday. We will be looking there if we decide not to buy right off the bat.... But I think we are leaning towards getting a furnished apt for month-to-month while we house hunt, and just focusing on minimizing commute. We have an 80# chocolate lab ourselves...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver