Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,109 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My wife and I are looking at moving to Denver from Toronto with my mid 80's parents (only child) from Southern Illinois. Do you think it is possible to find a home with full in law suite (private entrance) for less than +/-$500k that has 5+ acres. Open to other options such as two small houses, duplex, etc. but am afraid of taxes. Am handy but the closer to $500k, the less money for major renovation materials, and again, unsure of tax bite as I want to retire myself within 5 years. Would really like the Evergreen area so as to have mountain views and southern exposure. Would need to be within an hour (ish) of the airport as I expect to travel bi-weekly. Looking at Nov 2014 to Q1 2015 move. Any advice on how/where best to look or get started would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 06:01 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,165,311 times
This one only has two acres. But it is a lot cheaper than $500k.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:54 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,698,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wldn06 View Post
Hi,
My wife and I are looking at moving to Denver from Toronto with my mid 80's parents (only child) from Southern Illinois. Do you think it is possible to find a home with full in law suite (private entrance) for less than +/-$500k that has 5+ acres. Open to other options such as two small houses, duplex, etc. but am afraid of taxes. Am handy but the closer to $500k, the less money for major renovation materials, and again, unsure of tax bite as I want to retire myself within 5 years. Would really like the Evergreen area so as to have mountain views and southern exposure. Would need to be within an hour (ish) of the airport as I expect to travel bi-weekly. Looking at Nov 2014 to Q1 2015 move. Any advice on how/where best to look or get started would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!

Both Golden and Arvada allow ADUs (Accessory Dwelling Units) in many (not all) Single family neighborhoods. This zoning allows the construction of a In Law Apartment either in the original house or as a free standing unit in the back yard.

Not sure of the legality of ADUs in Evergreen and unincorporated Jeffco.
The legal issue is typically the 2nd kitchen, not the private entrance.
If they would be sharing some meals with you and could make due with a minimal kitchen
it can be done by calling it a "wet bar with microwave".

Evergreen is one hour plus from airport only in good weather and low traffic.
Golden and Arvada will both have train service to airport in 2016, but it will be one hour plus.

Mountain views and southern exposure are both possible in Arvada & Golden.
Just saw the "5+ acres", so you are talking mountains or unincorporated areas.
Ironically finding a legal law suite on 5 acres will be tougher than a typical small lot.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:12 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,677,310 times
5 acres within an hour of DIA and in the mountains for under $500,000? Maybe the Realtors can chime in with something I don't know, but this seems like a pipe dream, especially when you add the in-law suite. If you were willing to go down on lot size I think you will have a lot more options.

I searched 3-5 acres in Evergreen and only had one hit under $500K.

3 acres and its right on Highway 73 so there will be some traffic: 7925 Gray Fox Drive, Evergreen, CO 80439 | Listing Information

Here's one in Morrison: 6162 S Valley Drive, Morrison, CO 80465 | Listing Information

One in Conifer: 6162 S Valley Drive, Morrison, CO 80465 | Listing Information

This one give you a lot of budger room for improvements: 31577 Conifer Mountain Drive, Conifer, CO 80433 | Listing Information

I did not include the in law suite on any of these searches because I think that is something that you will likely need to add yourself. Look at the floor plans and see if it is something doable.

Also the mountain locations I posted will be > hour to DIA.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:13 PM

403 posts, read 765,409 times
South Evergreen or the Clear Creek County parts of Evergreen would be two parts where you might be able to get what you are looking for, but my recommendation would be to focus your search to the mountain Morrison and Conifer areas. You'll get more house and land for your money. Hwy. 285 is just as easy (if not easier) than I-70 for commuting to DIA.

Many homes will have walk out lower levels with wet bars and bathrooms. You'll probably have to add a proper entry door (not the sliding door that many have) along with a full size fridge and a stove/oven.
Jefferson County won't allow the stove but if you don't care about getting the proper permits and inspections then you can certainly find a contractor to add the duct work, gas and/or electric that you'll need.

I'm happy to help you further since I live and work in the foothills. Just send me a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver