Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,993 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm sure you have seen many of these threads, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations based on my criteria for homes in Colorado. A little bit about us. We're a family of 3 (myself and my daughter and son who are both in their early 20's). My kids have lived in the Los Angeles region of California for their entire lives, and I have also lived here for the bulk of my life. I lived in Colorado in the past for about 4 years before I moved to California in the late 80's/early 90's. Due to certain circumstances, I am considering moving back to Colorado where most of my family lives hopefully within the next few years. I do visit Colorado every few years, but I typically stay within the Aurora/Denver region, so I am not too familiar with other areas (I'm sure many things have changed since I have lived there). Now some of the factors that are important to me:

(1) Safety / low crime areas: I would like to settle in Colorado permanently if I do make a move to that region since my mother, brother, family, etc. all live there. Hence, I am looking for a place that is very safe. This is especially important since I will potentially be living by myself once my kids are done with school and live on their own. This is very high on priority list.

(2) Location: I am hoping to be within 30 min~1 hr drive to Denver and Aurora in a suburban area. I have family that lives in both areas so I would like to see them at least 2~3 times a month if possible. I would also like there to be a community college around (within 20~30 min distance) since my son is currently attending a community college, and a reputable nursing school for my daughter (within 1 hr drive) since my daughter is planning to get her second Bachelor's in nursing (it would be a plus if there were large hospitals nearby so my daughter could find a workplace upon graduating). Additionally, it would be nice if the area was relatively quiet. We currently live in a residential neighborhood that is quiet for the most part, and we really enjoy that privacy. However, we would like our neighbors to be friendly (I enjoy conversing with my neighbors) from time to time. There's a good balance between respecting our privacy and striking a conversation.

(3) Sidewalks: My kids jog/ride their bikes for their daily exercise, and I enjoy walking outdoors. It would be great if there are well-maintained, safe sidewalks or walking trails for us to be able to exercise during the early morning or late evening.

(4) Proximity to grocery stores / restaurants: I currently do most of my grocery shopping at Trader Joe's, Costco, and Asian markets. It would be great if all three were within 30 min distances. If not, at least Costco or Sam's Club and Asian markets. As for restaurants, we mostly cook at home though we do enjoy going out to eat (mainly Korean, Japanese, and Vietnamese food) once in a while. So it'd be great if there were decent restaurants around within a 20 min drive. We also enjoy going to the farmer's market from time to time, so it'd be a plus if there is a farmer's market around (though this is not too important).

(5) Budget / home: Our budget would be around 300K. Anywhere between 250K to 350K is good for us. We would like at least a 3 bedroom home (4 bedroom being even better since my mother may want to spend the night at our home). As for the size, it would be great if the home was at least 2000 sq. feet~2500 sq. feet (but we're not too picky), but we prefer a small backyard/front yard or anything low maintenance. Additionally, we prefer if the neighbor's home were at least 5~10 ft separated from our house (no NY or SF homes please!). We would also like a newer home (at least 2008~beyond). We currently live in a older home, and while it's been good for us, we would like to deal with maintenance as little as possible which is more possible in a newer home. Low HOA fees would be a plus!

(6) As for jobs, I've worked as a part-time cashier for 10+ years and I'm getting into insurance so I can pretty much work anywhere; my son works as a waiter/assistant sushi chef so anywhere not too far from a Japanese restaurant will be great; my daughter is planning on working at a hospital so these are some things to take into consideration. Hopefully these will be within 20~30 minutes drive from our home.

(7) Traffic / weather: We're not too irritated by traffic (we frequent the 405 freeway in LA after all which is commonly known as the parking lot), but we would prefer our residential area to have less traffic. It'd be great if there was also less people walking around (more drivers than walkers). Since we live in the suburbs of Los Angeles county, we're used to little to no people walking around (most people drive and typically, people just walk in residential neighborhoods). As for weather, we're very excited. LA has been very dry and particularly humid recently so I'm really looking forward to some snow and rain (though obviously, we prefer relatively less snow in terms of the entire Colorado region). We would like to be in a less windy region preferably also, but it's not too big of a deal since I currently live in a region slightly south of a very windy place.

This was quite a long post. Thank you in advance for reading, and I hope to read your replies.

Edit:
I forgot to mention two things. This is towards the bottom of my priority list, but it would be a plus if I lived in an area where there are good school districts in terms of elementary~high school. In the future, I may merge households with my mother so it'd be great if I can sell a home more easily.

Another thing is marijuana. I know that Colorado has legalized marijuana, and I'm a firm believer that people who smoke marijuana will smoke it regardless of whether it is legal or illegal (though obviously, it'll be accessible if it is legal). I'm not a smoker, and I would prefer being in an area where there are less smokers. I like keeping my windows open at night, and I wouldn't want the smell wafting into the house.

Last edited by hk_lee; 07-28-2014 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 12:13 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
I'm going to overlook your >2008 requirement for the most part, because that doesn't put you anywhere close to anything you desire, in general.

In this order:

Check 80018 if you REALLY don't mind being in the boonies.

All in Aurora.

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,993 times
Hello,

Thank you for your response. I was hoping to edit the post to state after 2004 but it didn't allow me to edit after a while. I'll look into those areas! Thank you again for your response.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 AM

322 posts, read 525,087 times
David Aguilar is on the money. SE Aurora is your best bet. You could also look in Thornton or Parker (which a ways out). Highlands Ranch might have a few options closer to $350K. You might even be able to snag a house in Stapleton, which is in the city, but your sq footage will be 1700 max for a SFD home. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2014, 04:42 PM

26 posts, read 198,735 times
I agree with David Aguilar as well! I am from Orange County California and also worked in LA. I live in the 80018 area code, near Fair grounds, however I agree, Southeast Aurora area is the best. It meets more than 90% of your criteria. Centennial near Aurora is also a serious consideration! Good luck!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver