Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 07:01 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,873,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire S. View Post
Unfortunately, that house is already under contract.
What is with Reunion and its taxes?
$3100 on a $240K house !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 07:55 AM

25 posts, read 41,672 times
There are 3 homes in The Traditions neighborhood that are listed between 240k and 245k. There is the Vista Peak k-12 school next door that is around 3 years old. I have no idea of the quality of the school, but the campus is impressive. D.R. Horton has spec homes that start around 275k ready to go that include front and back landscaping, irrigation system, and fence, which saves you thousands of dollars. Every home they sell in this community includes these options. I will probably spend around 1000-1500k in window treatments and maybe $500 in ceiling fans. Some of their pricier options like flooring and counter tops I did not include, because I know I could add them later for less money. I spent money on items that are incredibly expensive to add later ie; full basement, 3 car garage, nice appliances, and upgraded master bath. On their website they do have models as cheap as 200k, but I doubt they would work for a growing family. Here is the link to D.R. Hortons website. A commute from there is likely to be around 15-20 minutes. Good luck in your home search

Traditions | New Homes in Aurora, CO

These are the existing homes under 250k
25013 E 5th Ave, Aurora, CO 80018 - Zillow
25621 E 5th Pl, Aurora, CO 80018 was Recently Sold - Zillow
460 N Langdale Way, Aurora, CO 80018 - Zillow

Old 09-15-2013, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,405 times
Thank you all for weighing in - I sincerely appreciate the feedback. Everyone raised a lot of good points that we hadn't previously considered.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:25 PM

434 posts, read 1,119,257 times
Please, please exercise caution when using greatschools.org - their "ratings" numbers are based ONLY on standardized test scores. It's a good place to easily find data on a school but it should not be the only method you use to evaluate a school.

Greatschools is a FOR PROFIT website - look at all their ads - that takes publicly available information and puts it in an easy to read format.

If you want to live in Reunion but are worried about the schools, you need to drill down in to the data. If there is even 30% of ESL students, that will cause a drop in test scores. Or if there is a large percentage of students previously homeschooled, or a large percentage of students who don't test well, all of those factors will show up as a drop in test scores. Even at the most "best" school in the entire country, this would be true.

You want to look at how YOUR student will perform relative to the other schools in Colorado - so if your student is NOT an ESL student, then compare the test scores of non-ESL students at Reunion Elementary to the test scores of other non-ESL students at other schools.

If you like Reunion and it's a good fit for your family on all other factors, don't let the test scores deter you. I know it's tough to do, but hang around at pick-up as mic111 suggested and talk to the other parents. Meet with the principal - in my opinion, a good principal makes a WORLD of difference in teacher happiness and satisfaction, which makes a difference every day in the classroom.

greatschools.com greatschools.net

Old 09-23-2013, 02:24 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,726,826 times
Very informative. I have to ask, how is the commute downtown so easy? What path should I take? I'd be driving during rush hour, a little before. Need to be downtown at 7:30, leave downtown at 4:30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monalua View Post
I think we have one of the quickest/easiest drives downtown of all the Denver 'burbs.
Quote:
Property taxes are astronomical in Reunion, but HOA dues are cheap.
How expensive? -- never mind, I saw an earlier post on this.

We rode our bikes all over the Reunion neighborhood last weekend and really liked what we saw. Love the parks, trails, rec center, pool. Verrrry quiet. Love it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Also, the most direct way to the hospital involves a tollroad (adds up).
This is a concern. We are looking at Reunion too. I found the nearest hospital to be on 128th and Holly - and doesn't require E-470 (the "toll road").

There is an urgent care right next to Reunion though.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-23-2013 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 09-23-2013, 07:23 PM

56 posts, read 84,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
Very informative. I have to ask, how is the commute downtown so easy? What path should I take? I'd be driving during rush hour, a little before. Need to be downtown at 7:30, leave downtown at 4:30.

I live in Reunion, and it's about 18 miles to downtown from here. Takes around 30 minutes. Could be a bit more during rush. You only have to be on I-25 for approx. 3 miles which is the main reason I think the commute is so good. I take 104th to Hwy 85 to I-76, to I-25 south. From there it's only about 3 miles to the first exit to downtown. There is also some sort of an RTD express bus that goes from a stop on 104th straight to downtown. I've never ridden it but you could look for it on their website.

When we were house hunting we were driving from downtown to other suburbs after work for showings and I found most of the commutes to be much more unpleasant - Highlands Ranch, SE Aurora, Centennial, Parker, Westminster, Broomfield, etc. Some downright horrible. Although there is lightrail to Littleton, etc. Arvada was the best but way too far from hubby's work in Aurora.

How expensive? -- never mind, I saw an earlier post on this.

Taxes are like 1.5%. High for Denver. Not an expert but I believe it's because this whole area was new with NO infrastructure in place whatsoever and the taxes are paying for it now.

We rode our bikes all over the Reunion neighborhood last weekend and really liked what we saw. Love the parks, trails, rec center, pool. Verrrry quiet. Love it!!

So right on all this! I have always gotten such a "good feeling" out here, there is just something about it!

This is a concern. We are looking at Reunion too. I found the nearest hospital to be on 128th and Holly - and doesn't require E-470 (the "toll road").

There is an urgent care right next to Reunion though.
The closest local hospital is Platte Valley Medical Center in Brighton, about 8 miles away (quiet roads). University Hospital campus is much bigger and well-known, you can take the toll road to get to it, but you don't have to. I delivered my son there. Most of my appointments were around 10 AM or so and it never took me more than 25 minutes to get there - not driving on the toll roads - just I-70 to 225.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 PM

Hi Monalua,

I currently live in Thornton and take the express bus you mention. It's at 84th and I-25. Goes straight to civic center - in the morning it takes about 15-20 min and at night it's about 30 min. Traffic on I-25 is HORRIBLE.

So I have driven the route you describe many times, and the timing is MUCH different during rush hour. I-76 is sooo backed up from 96th where I enter, that I don't even take that highway any longer. I now just take I-25 to the HOV (toll). So many people have moved to my area that I-76 is one giant parking lot in the morning. This is around 6:45-7:00 AM.

From the exit onto I-25 from I-76, one must go to at least 38th to get downtown. I cannot believe this is only 3 miles. I mean, I believe you, but omg the traffic is so bad it feels like you are sitting on there for 10 miles. Bumper to bumper, rolling at 25 MPH. Trust me, rush hour changes everything. If it's normally a 20 min drive, double that, and you'll get a more realistic drive time during rush hour. Plus, those of us who work downtown have to navigate those streets before we even get to work.

Seriously, no way would I consider my commute in that route. I was thinking either Tower or E-470 to I-70 to get downtown.

I really do not know, so the only way for me to see is to actually drive it in the morning during my usual time. I'm going to try it this week. I really want to live in Reunion!

Thanks for all of your info, so helpful. And thanks for the hospital info, I'll check on that. Although mapquest says it's more like 14 miles away from Reunion. Can you help me correct that?

Old 09-24-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
Hi Monalua,

I currently live in Thornton and take the express bus you mention. It's at 84th and I-25. Goes straight to civic center - in the morning it takes about 15-20 min and at night it's about 30 min. Traffic on I-25 is HORRIBLE.

So I have driven the route you describe many times, and the timing is MUCH different during rush hour. I-76 is sooo backed up from 96th where I enter, that I don't even take that highway any longer. I now just take I-25 to the HOV (toll). So many people have moved to my area that I-76 is one giant parking lot in the morning. This is around 6:45-7:00 AM.

From the exit onto I-25 from I-76, one must go to at least 38th to get downtown. I cannot believe this is only 3 miles. I mean, I believe you, but omg the traffic is so bad it feels like you are sitting on there for 10 miles. Bumper to bumper, rolling at 25 MPH. Trust me, rush hour changes everything. If it's normally a 20 min drive, double that, and you'll get a more realistic drive time during rush hour. Plus, those of us who work downtown have to navigate those streets before we even get to work.

Seriously, no way would I consider my commute in that route. I was thinking either Tower or E-470 to I-70 to get downtown.

I really do not know, so the only way for me to see is to actually drive it in the morning during my usual time. I'm going to try it this week. I really want to live in Reunion!

Thanks for all of your info, so helpful. And thanks for the hospital info, I'll check on that. Although mapquest says it's more like 14 miles away from Reunion. Can you help me correct that?
Hi DenverLaw! So you live in Thornton but get on I-76 at 96th? It sounds like you have much more expertise in the commute downtown than I do (I'm a SAHM in Reunion so only make the commute during rush for occasional appointments, etc.). My husband goes downtown for work meetings once a month or so, and I have neighbors that have worked for Century Link, Davita, etc. so I'm just going by what they have told me, that it's not a "big deal" as far as commutes go...I guess compared to...?

Why does traffic suck sooooooo much in this town? Really isn't ANY commute downtown from any suburb during rush a pain in the you-know-what? I guess everyone is just used to 40 minutes? It is not fun. I hate I-25 so I really feel the less you can be on it the better, thus why I think the commute from up here is better...I don't know. You should definitely do test runs from Reunion to downtown and back during rush before you make any decisions like you said!

Have you looked at any neighborhoods in Littleton where you could take the lightrail? I always thought we might look there if we worked downtown...not brand new but newer - like 80s homes? Southpark subdivision was one I think?

From reading your other post, I definitely think you would like Reunion though!! So much home for your money, the Shea homes are gorgeous and have been here for almost 10 years with no issues (who can afford a custom golf course home anyway?!). So quiet with a great sense of community and friendly people. Our rec center is no Lifetime Fitness lol but it's new, clean, well-run, there are fun classes (bootcamp, bar, boxing, yoga, zumba, etc.) and lots of trails for running and biking! Oh and you can take E-470 to Lifetime in Westminster in 20-25 minutes.

Here is a link to the directions from Reunion to Platte Valley Medical Center - this is where you'd go for an emergency.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=r...=t&mra=ls&z=13

Good luck! Feel free to PM me with any questions! We've lived in Reunion for 6 years and Commerce City for 9 (both before kids and after), we have been very very happy here!

Old 09-24-2013, 06:43 AM

Also depending on where you work, you might look at the commute down Highway 2? Easy to get to from here and I know some people that take it to get downtown that work on the east side of downtown? Straight shot, lots of stoplights though. Just another idea to explore...

Old 09-24-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Hi DenverLaw! So you live in Thornton but get on I-76 at 96th? ...I guess compared to...?
Yep! Thornton is quite big. We leave just near the entrance to I-76. Yeah, define "big deal". I'm just trying to get an idea of the commute. But the only real way for me to find out is to do it myself. Our lives are like night and day. I commute downtown every day during rush hour. If I could drive whenever I wanted, off rush hour, I too would think the commute is wonderful. I do think that it won't be much worse than what I have now, and I have a pretty good commute, about 30 min.

Quote:
Why does traffic suck sooooooo much in this town?
There have been hords of people moving here prior to and after the economy crash, and that huge influx of people is helping our traffic. That and I feel that the people who designed our freeways really had no business doing it, it's like they didn't know what they were doing. They built the freeways for a much smaller town, not the size it is now.

Quote:
Have you looked at any neighborhoods in Littleton...
We looked a little in Littleon, but really, we don't want an 80s home, we are ready for much newer. Never heard of Southpark, I'll check around.

Quote:
Our rec center is no Lifetime Fitness...
I would want to continue going to Lifetime, but I saw your rec center/pool and it looks pretty cool, I think I could adapt.

Quote:
Here is a link to the directions from Reunion to Platte Valley Medical Center - this is where you'd go for an emergency.
Thanks so much for the info!! And I feel a lot better after looking at your map to the hospital, that's not bad at all. We are still a ways off, won't buy until next spring, but that'll be here before you know it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver