Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 04:43 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times

Advertisements

Cycling is a pretty big deal in Denver. That said, where do you get your bike worked on and which shop offers the best quality service in your opinion?

Here are mine:

The Mindful Bike (12th and Madison in Congress Park) 4.5/5

These guys are great. It's a small, quiet shop and the technicians there are very knowledgeable. I was having some issues with my bike's chain skipping and they worked with me for a few weeks on the problem until it was resolved. They even loaned me a brand new rear derailleur as part of the deduction process. The prices aren't too bad either. This is the best shop I've been to so far.

Edgeworks/The Bicycle Doctor (11th and Bannock) 3/5

These guys tend to be pricey and a little condescending. I went in for the issue described in the blurb above and the first thing they wanted to do was throw on an $85 front derailleur without even analyzing the problem. They are fairly knowledgeable, but I feel like their prices are pretty steep.

Bicycle Village (Aurora) 3.5/5

I bought my first mountain bike there about four years ago. The technicians at the shop are pretty knowledgeable and helpful. There is one guy there with longer blonde hair that is a pretty good tech, I wish I could remember his name. If you buy a bike from them, they will provide free tune-ups and adjustments for life. Their prices aren't very bad either. Overall, a decent shop.

Performance Bike (Greenwood Village & Colorado Boulevard locations) 2/5

Understaffed. Poor technicians. The Greenwood Village shop screwed up my derailleur. The Colorado Boulevard shop took out too many chain links in my chain. I wouldn't go to this place for anything other than a simple lube job or maybe tire inflation.

REI (Downtown Denver) .5/5

Perhaps the absolute worst of the shops I've been to. Again, this is a shop that suffers from poor diagnostic skills. They just want to throw (my) money at the problem. I bought a bike from REI last summer and took it in for the 3 month complimentary tune up and they didn't even touch it. I spent over a week without a bike and they told me to pick it up and it was still shifting poorly. I had some work done on my bike a couple weeks ago. They called and told me it was ready, but when I picked it up, the front derailleur was way out of alignment, so much so that the chain was grinding against it. That wasn't even an issue when I took it in, I was bringing it in for a bottom bracket replacement. Even though it was a fairly simple fix, they continued to argue that it was not their doing. Finally, when I convinced them that it was their fault, they tried telling me that it was going to be another hour to fix it. I had just picked the bike up ten minutes before, and they were going to make me wait another hour? No way. I immediately went to the store manager and explained the issue. They had my bike fixed in 15 minutes flat. This shop is perhaps one of the worst in the entire city. I would never recommend anyone take their bike there for anything other than a lube job or tire inflation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 04:50 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,176 times
Salvagetti's just opened a small store around the corner from me at broadway and ellsworth. They are great for fixing flats and other small jobs, but when I need more work or parts I usually go to Turin.

Also check out the Denver Bicycle Cafe. I haven't had any work done there but they serve great beer

Old 08-14-2012, 05:29 PM

352 posts, read 713,452 times
Salvagetti also has just moved their main store to 38th and Irving. Check 'em out.
Attached Thumbnails
Denver Bike Shops-10-dsc_4224_dxo.jpg   Denver Bike Shops-1-dsc_4183.jpg   Denver Bike Shops-09-dsc_4209_dxo.jpg  

Old 08-14-2012, 06:27 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
When I was a biker--yes I was, unbelievable as it may seem, I always enjoyed going to the largest and best equipped bike store in the West, Wheat Ridge Cyclery Wheat Ridge Cyclery It has been around since 1973 http://ridewrc.com/articles/wrc-history-pg875.htm It is on the old Main Street of Wheat Ridge, east of Wadsworth on West 38th. Most people do not know Wheat Ridge has an old commercial area.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-14-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
When I was a biker--yes I was, unbelievable as it may seem, I always enjoyed going to the largest and best equipped bike store in the West, Wheat Ridge Cyclery Wheat Ridge Cyclery It has been around since 1973 WRC History - Colorado's Largest Single Bike Shop Since 1973! It is on the old Main Street of Wheat Ridge, east of Wadsworth on West 38th. Most people do not know Wheat Ridge has an old commercial area.

Livecontent
Hah, I just went there tonight. They have a nice selection. Sadly though, not a single person asked me if I needed assistance. Maybe it was because it was an hour till closing time.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:14 PM

26 posts, read 66,589 times
We've made the move, about six months ago, and are trying to fit into the Denver life style. We're looking into bikes this week and wonder if anyone's opinion has changed about local bike shops? Looked at Treads and Bicycle Village (Aurora) today because they're closest to home and would be easier for servicing. The technicians seemed knowledgeable at both but BV's selection seemed larger although many of the same models. Planning on making the trip to Colorado Springs for BV's sale at the store there (missed the one in Aurora). Any suggestions on these two retailers or others in the area? Thanks.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:01 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
I'm not a bike geek so I hate most bike shops. I find most of the employees to be incredibly arrogant unless you have a $2000 bike or are a fixty riding hipster.

I have found the guys at this shop to be very helpful to a guy with a cruiser bike who just likes to ride around the neighborhood. I'm a big fan.

Velosoul Cyclery | Better mechanics, better prices, better attitude!

Old 03-20-2014, 01:52 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
My wife and I bought our bikes from Elevation Cycles in Highlands Ranch and they were outstanding to work with. Our bikes were 500 each and we were treated like we were buying the most expensive bike in the joint.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:47 PM

356 posts, read 624,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
My wife and I bought our bikes from Elevation Cycles in Highlands Ranch and they were outstanding to work with. Our bikes were 500 each and we were treated like we were buying the most expensive bike in the joint.
I agree I like Elevation Cycles, got a flat along the C-470 trail riding from work without a spare tube and happened to be right by them, walked the bike in and within 20mins it was good to go. Went back and purchased a bike for my son after the service I received from them.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:53 PM

557 posts, read 811,021 times
This might be a stupid question, but do these shops ever sell used bikes that they have somehow obtained and repaired? We'd like to get a couple of hybrids somewhat on the cheap, but not a fan of going the craigslist route. Wandering if any of these guys offer such a product?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver