Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:32 AM

9 posts, read 17,205 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! Nashvillian flirting with the idea of moving to Denver here, and I'm looking for some pretty specific information I haven't been able to find in searches of this forum. My husband and I have been thinking about moving to Denver for awhile, so I'm doing some research. He would be working in LoDo, and I work in health care and enjoy pediatrics so that would probably put me in Aurora.

We both prefer historic houses with charm (if anyone is familiar with Nashville, we love historic houses in Downtown Franklin, Hillsboro Village and 12South), and in my searches for Colorado real estate on REcolorado.com, I haven't been able to find many charming historic homes. A lot of what I've seen has actually been pretty unattractive, honestly. There seem to be a lot of homes from the 60s-80s, and a lot of cookie-cutter homes. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? So far, Washington Park and Platt Park have been the only neighborhoods where I've seen anything historic and charming.

To summarize, we are looking for a historic, charming home for $400K or less. We would like it to be convenient to both LoDo and to the Children's Hospital in Aurora, preferably not more than a 20-minute commute to either place although I'm not sure that's possible...I've looked at maps, but I have no idea what the traffic situation is like in Denver. A walkable neighborhood would be a big plus. (Also wanted to edit to clarify...when I say "historic", I mean a historic-looking house. It could be an actual 1920's house, or new construction that has that historic look...not sure if that's prevalent in Denver but it's all over the place in Nashville, so just wanted to clarify on that!)

Do you guys have any recommendations as to which areas I should search in?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by AGL19; 07-27-2011 at 02:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 05:41 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGL19 View Post
Hey everyone! Nashvillian flirting with the idea of moving to Denver here, and I'm looking for some pretty specific information I haven't been able to find in searches of this forum. My husband and I have been thinking about moving to Denver for awhile, so I'm doing some research. He would be working in LoDo, and I work in health care and enjoy pediatrics so that would probably put me in Aurora.

We both prefer historic houses with charm (if anyone is familiar with Nashville, we love historic houses in Downtown Franklin, Hillsboro Village and 12South), and in my searches for Colorado real estate on REcolorado.com, I haven't been able to find many charming historic homes. A lot of what I've seen has actually been pretty unattractive, honestly. There seem to be a lot of homes from the 60s-80s, and a lot of cookie-cutter homes. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? So far, Washington Park and Platt Park have been the only neighborhoods where I've seen anything historic and charming.

To summarize, we are looking for a historic, charming home for $400K or less. We would like it to be convenient to both LoDo and to the Children's Hospital in Aurora, preferably not more than a 20-minute commute to either place although I'm not sure that's possible...I've looked at maps, but I have no idea what the traffic situation is like in Denver. A walkable neighborhood would be a big plus. (Also wanted to edit to clarify...when I say "historic", I mean a historic-looking house. It could be an actual 1920's house, or new construction that has that historic look...not sure if that's prevalent in Denver but it's all over the place in Nashville, so just wanted to clarify on that!)

Do you guys have any recommendations as to which areas I should search in?

Thanks for reading!
Denver has a ton of houses like that. Most of the houses in the City and County of Denver were built before the 1960s. Anything between Sheridan Blvd. on the West and Quebec St on the East, and 52nd Ave. on the North and Yale Ave. on the South (except for the Southeast and Southwest corners) will date to the 1920s, with infill between 1930s - 1950s. The oldest houses will be located with in a couple of miles of Downtown. To be close to Childrens Hospital you might want to take a close look at Park Hill and other East Denver neighborhoods. Don't even waste your time looking at Stapleton, Lawry, Montbello or Aurora. You wont find what you are looking for there.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:15 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
City Park West. Park Hill, Congress Park....

Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
The Cole neighborhood.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:59 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I'd be amazed if there were any historic and charming homes near LODO for $400k, but it could be....when I think 'historic and charming' in a close in setting, my thoughts wonder into million dollar territory....wish I were wrong...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^If you're talking about "historic" in the sense of being historical landmarks, or having some sense of history about them, you're right, but if you're just talking "old" or "from some period in history", I think you could probably find something in Denver.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:11 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,436,540 times
There are many historic districts in Denver.

historic districts of denver - Google Search

Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 PM

531 posts, read 1,146,332 times
Cheesman Park, South Park Hill, City Park West, Congress Park. All those neighborhoods come to mind.

For a map of Denver 'hoods: http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf

Old 07-27-2011, 03:20 PM

9 posts, read 17,205 times
Thank you so much for the help guys! I plugged Congress Park into REcolorado.com (so glad you guys have a similar website to what I use for Nashville real estate, realtracs.com) and found a lot of good options. Of course the ones I like the most are over $400K, but isn't that always the case no matter what your budget is? You always like the over-budget ones! Anyway I feel like I've got a really good start now and can narrow down my searches! Thanks again!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:11 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Because your search is so specific - it would be my suggestion to get your local Realtor to set up a prospect search for you.

I found 14 with "historic" in the comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver