Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:34 PM

9 posts, read 15,682 times

Advertisements

Hello, I may be offered a job in Broomfield and I'm trying to get some info.

I currently live in PA and have never been to Colorado. The job will pay about $55-60k a year so I'm trying to figure out how good that is for the area? Will I be living paycheck to paycheck or will I be able to live comfortably?

I come from a rural area and prefer this to city life. I figure I should get an apartment first just to make sure I like the area and the job. I have also never lived on my own before so this would be completely new experience. I would be leaving all friends and family behind. One positive thing is that some people I currently work with may be moving there as well.

I currently commute about 45 minutes to work each day (about 25 miles). I'd prefer to have a shorter commute if possible.

I'm very much into firearms and eventually I would love to own a house with land so that I could go outside and do some target shooting. Since I won't be able to do this for awhile, somewhere close to gun shops and ranges would be nice.

Any suggestions or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 10:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifex View Post
Hello, I may be offered a job in Broomfield and I'm trying to get some info.

I currently live in PA and have never been to Colorado. The job will pay about $55-60k a year so I'm trying to figure out how good that is for the area? Will I be living paycheck to paycheck or will I be able to live comfortably?

I come from a rural area and prefer this to city life. I figure I should get an apartment first just to make sure I like the area and the job. I have also never lived on my own before so this would be completely new experience. I would be leaving all friends and family behind. One positive thing is that some people I currently work with may be moving there as well.

I currently commute about 45 minutes to work each day (about 25 miles). I'd prefer to have a shorter commute if possible.

I'm very much into firearms and eventually I would love to own a house with land so that I could go outside and do some target shooting. Since I won't be able to do this for awhile, somewhere close to gun shops and ranges would be nice.

Any suggestions or advice?
I would suggest an apartment in Broomfield at first. You can scope out the area after you get here, and decide where you might want to buy. Broomfield is a suburb, but it's on the northern edge of the metro area, so it has a more open feel.

Another place you might try renting is Lafayette, a few miles from Broomfield and more of a small town.

If you are single, I think the salary would be fine.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:57 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,318,001 times
Without knowing the details of your life story, I take it you are young & single? $55-60k is more than plenty of money to live comfortably. In fact, almost insulting to ask that question, as someone who is single & smart financially could get by just fine on half that amount. If you end up making this move, I'd forget about buying a house or living in a rural area at this point in time. Broomfield is a totally suburban community. If you are young and single, you may want to consider living in Boulder, which wouldn't be too bad of a commute, just for the social aspect, even if it's not your ideal town.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:25 AM

^^Boulder would be good, and the commute would be in the 20 minute range. I was actually going to say that in Lafayette, the only singles you would meet will be single parents. Broomfield is about the same.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Without knowing the details of your life story, I take it you are young & single? $55-60k is more than plenty of money to live comfortably. In fact, almost insulting to ask that question, as someone who is single & smart financially could get by just fine on half that amount. If you end up making this move, I'd forget about buying a house or living in a rural area at this point in time. Broomfield is a totally suburban community. If you are young and single, you may want to consider living in Boulder, which wouldn't be too bad of a commute, just for the social aspect, even if it's not your ideal town.
I'm 30 and single. I'm fairly shy and not into the whole club/bar/etc scene so living near that kind of stuff is at the bottom of my list. I prefer to be outside of towns and cities. On the other hand, it may do me some good to be more sociable.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:35 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,183,833 times
Boulder is very expensive and full of yuppies and college students. Tons of things to do and a cool environment, but you might be a bit out of your element if you are a PA country boy.

Maybe check out Louisville? It is a more down-to-earth suburb. It is halfway between Denver and Boulder.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Boulder is very expensive and full of yuppies and college students. Tons of things to do and a cool environment, but you might be a bit out of your element if you are a PA country boy.

Maybe check out Louisville? It is a more down-to-earth suburb. It is halfway between Denver and Boulder.
Lafayette is cheaper than Louisville. In both cities, the only singles you are likely to meet are single parents. You could live in either town and go to Boulder for your "night life".

Old 07-10-2010, 03:34 PM

42 posts, read 247,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifex View Post
I'm 30 and single. I'm fairly shy and not into the whole club/bar/etc scene so living near that kind of stuff is at the bottom of my list. I prefer to be outside of towns and cities. On the other hand, it may do me some good to be more sociable.
If you're job is going to be in Broomfield, then I would just live there, your income is more than enough to make a comfortable living there. I'd stay away from Boulder, not only is it expensive, but its a college town. At your age I don't if you'd be comfortable with that. Downtown Denver and the surrounding areas might be better for your nightlife. Plus the commute from Boulder to Broomfield can be treacherous.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:02 PM

Well, I got a verbal offer for the job. Still waiting on the official offer. So it seems likely that I will become a Colorado resident soon.

I still need to visit the area, but at least one other guy I know that got offered the same position (multiple openings) went out this past weekend and said he loved it.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:37 AM

Any recommendations on apartments? I've tried looking online and everything seems so expensive. I'd like to start out at about $600 or less a month. I might be ok going a little higher if it's worth it, but I want to keep it fairly low until I get settled and figure out what I need/want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver