Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 02:29 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,940 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We will be passing through DE in our way back from NY and since we've considered a move there I wanted to ask you which areas has the following, so we can check them out in NEWARK or other nice cities around 95 (if any):
1. Family friendly, quiet/safe neighborehood
2. IN 9, 10 rated school district areas...with Autism support or ELP classes +speech therapy
3. Not too far from everything, but also not in bad downtown areas...?
4. maybe walkable to grocery store, or nice bakeries etc (mom & pop type shops)

Other things we might or should see?

Thank you much,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 07:18 PM

11 posts, read 18,142 times
Main Street Newark is one of the only areas I know of near I-95 in Delaware that meets your requirements 1, 3 and 4. And it meets them very well. There are two non-student neighborhoods walkable to Main Street shops. The "Old Newark" area bound by S. College Ave and Apple Rd is comprised of some of the nicest older homes in Newark and is an easy 0.3 to 0.5 mile walk from Main Street shops. The "Oaklands" neighborhood bound by Elkton Rd, West Main Street, and Briar Lane, is about 0.5 to 0.75 mile from Main Street shops, somewhat less expensive than Old Newark, and has a lot of families. It's also in the John R Downes Elem school zone, which is one of the best schools in the district. Note that, availability permitting, you can 'choice' a child into any school in the district. There is a very good charter school (Newark Charter), but it's a lottery and very sought after. Several good K-8 private options, including the unique Newark Center for Creative Learning. I'm not sure about special needs accommodations. 6th-8th grade public schools are currently improving, so do your homework if middle school is a concern.

Main Street has dozens of independent shops and restaurants, plus a few chain stores. It's the center of the Univ of DE, which also offers several cultural, athletic, and community amenities of its own.

Currently, there are about five houses for sale in Oaklands in the $315k to $375k range, and two small ones in the south end of Old Newark ($300k range). Old Newark sales north of West Park Place (closer to Main Street) are more expensive but rare, and there are currently none on the market.

There are parts of downtown Wilmington near the Brandywine River that are safe and have good school districts, but I don't know them well enough to recommend.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:51 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,996 times
I'm not sure about the district by district special ed services you are seeking, but to see a nice area in northern DE, I'd also suggest you exit 95 at downtown Wilmington/Pennsylavia Ave and turn back left, away from downtown and crossing over 95. Proceed up Penn. Ave. for the next several miles - as long as you feel you can spare time-wise - and drive straight on. Pennsylavia Ave. becomes Kennett Pike/Rt 52, ultimately taking you through north DE to the PA state line. This is also a nationally designated scenic by-way and is really pretty. You will on your way pass by nice, if pricey, neighborhoods within the city of Wilmington and then into the unincorporated area of Greenville, and if you continue on for just a very few miles, up past the estate of Winterthur and to the village of Centerville. DE actually ends very shortly after Centerville, so you might wish to turn around there and drive back to I-95.
This whole side-trip shouldn't take more than about 15 mins gong each direction, so no more than about half an hour in all. You will see some of the true loveliness of northern Delaware. It's a straight shot, so you can't get lost.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,940 times
Thank you very much, I will save this info...

Old 06-12-2010, 04:39 PM

127 posts, read 490,045 times
I agree with the poster suggesting the area near Main Street in Newark, although I don't think you mentioned your price range. In addition to the neighborhoods mentioned, you may want to take a look at Fairfield and Nottingham Green. Nice family neighborhoods, short walks to many shops, restaurants & activities. Newark has plenty of things to do for all ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: