Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 07:35 AM

30 posts, read 95,735 times

Advertisements

Does Wilmington or Brandywine School district bus kids to schools outside of their districts? From other districts to theirs? We are possibly relocating to the area and I am trying to get a feel for the local public school system. Unfortunately the school district where we now live is constantly "in the news" for doing something wrong .... misappropriating funds, mismanagement, etc. What's the reality of the school system there? (these specific districts)

Thank you for candid and frank answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 01:01 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Short answer, No.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:42 AM

324 posts, read 1,220,719 times
The districts do not bus between each other however some of the districts are larger than others (Christina) and have to bus their kids all over their district based on where the schools are (most middle schools are close to Wilmington where are most high schools are close to Newark)

Old 05-14-2009, 11:24 AM

604 posts, read 2,011,371 times
Phlydude:

Thre are no 'strictly urban' school districts in DE. Most students other than the ones living close to or within the community(subdivision) where the school is located will be bussed almost all twelve years ...the variable is how far they are bussed!

In general, 4th to 7th grade (it varies w/the district and accommodation capacity of individual school building) students are bussed into that part of City of Wilmington that is part of each school district. Remaining 8 or 9 years the students in Wilmington are bussed out of Wilmmington to the burbs. In short, students in the burbs are bussed minimally for the 8-9 years except for the higher elementary grades, mentioned above.

There is a complicated "choice" system available but as one can imagine that is a lottery system and 1 in every 10 who want the "choice" can be accomodated.

In my personal experience, the schools are not what makes your children successful but the parents interest in the child's day to day performance ... school teachers go to teach the students who are receptive, and ready to learn.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:22 PM

324 posts, read 1,220,719 times
Never said that there were.

I know in my area for my schools there are 2 outside of Newark, 1 between Newark and Wilmington and 1 in Wilmington. The high schools are all around Newark (Newark, Glasgow and Christiana). In my case (if I had any children), my kids could walk to school for elementary (Keene), bus to Middle school off of Chestnut Hill Rd and bus/get a ride to high school on my way to the highway each morning (Glasgow).

Yes, they would be a slave to the bus system but they would have to travel a little for middle school as others in the district do that live in my area. Some have to travel for high school, some for middle...but they do not force busing between districts like you see in Philly where kids from North and West Philly get to go to a non-neighborhood school to give them a better chance and to even out the resources where the population of school aged children has dropped off since the mid-20th century when those schools were built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: