Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 10:55 PM

527 posts, read 2,170,990 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Ohio in a month from India with my family and Infant son. My work location will be Sidney and I am exploring options options to rent apartment in Dayton (I am also considering Troy / Sidney but not much). With 3 people, I guess I will need to get a 2 Bedroom apartment.
Also It would be good if it a community and not an individual desolated house. As in a community with good housing and common utilities like coin operated washer dryer or may be a small gym etc.
I do not prefer to live in secluded area and I am ok with area around stores and all.
Accessibility to groceries and such is important. Also I will need to have Indian grocery store around.
My work location is going to be Sidney and I know that from Dayton it is going to be 45 Min + ride.
I am sort of ok with this.
Please tell me If me choosing an apartment in Dayton is a good idea or is there another city I should consider ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 06:14 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,170,881 times
Hi, welcome to Dayton!

Looks like you have some very unique needs. Normally I would ask for a rough budget, but there are very few places that would actually meet your criteria being an Indian family looking to move into an apartment.

So I'm going to start with where you probably shouldn't move. This would be any apartments in:
- Sidney
- Piqua
- Tipp City
The reason why isn't that they are bad complexes, it's just because I doubt there are any Indians in these communities, and I can't imagine people living in these complexes "understanding" your background. Plus they are normally fairly low-rent places. Same goes for most all of the apartments in Troy, especially any near the Hobart Welding Institute or on the eastern side of the Miami River.

Vandalia might not be a bad option, but I can't think of a good fit complex. Same goes for Englewood, demographically they would be OK, but they don't have the greatest apartment complexes.

So that leaves only one option that I can think of north of town, really - Cloud Park Apartments in Huber Heights/Dayton:
The Village at Cloud Park Apartments - Dayton, Ohio

It's a very nice complex, lots of WPAFB people live there, very YP/diverse vibe. It would be my #1 choice if I were in your shoes.

But if you are willing to commute really far (like from, say, Beavercreek or Miamisburg, which both have higher Indian populations), then you would have a lot more options.

Anyways, to help out, here's a link to Welcome Dayton:
Welcome Dayton – Immigrant Friendly City

And some maps of where Indians actually live in the Dayton area:
http://www.welcomedayton.org/wp-cont...grant-Map1.png

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:05 AM

Clarification - Vandalia, Englewood, and Troy all have nice apartment complexes BUT they lack a diverse population. Thus why I'm saying they wouldn't be the greatest.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:12 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,452,438 times
Indian grocery store Dayton, OH

Unfortunately, most of the stores are south of Dayton and Sidney is north of Dayton. So, one idea would be to live by one and drive a long way to the other. Or, another idea would be to live somewhere in the middle and have a little bit of a drive to both.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:10 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,758,588 times
If needed:

Dayton Hindu Temple

Old 02-16-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Hi, welcome to Dayton!

Looks like you have some very unique needs. Normally I would ask for a rough budget, but there are very few places that would actually meet your criteria being an Indian family looking to move into an apartment.

So I'm going to start with where you probably shouldn't move. This would be any apartments in:
- Sidney
- Piqua
- Tipp City
The reason why isn't that they are bad complexes, it's just because I doubt there are any Indians in these communities, and I can't imagine people living in these complexes "understanding" your background. Plus they are normally fairly low-rent places. Same goes for most all of the apartments in Troy, especially any near the Hobart Welding Institute or on the eastern side of the Miami River.

Vandalia might not be a bad option, but I can't think of a good fit complex. Same goes for Englewood, demographically they would be OK, but they don't have the greatest apartment complexes.

So that leaves only one option that I can think of north of town, really - Cloud Park Apartments in Huber Heights/Dayton:
The Village at Cloud Park Apartments - Dayton, Ohio

It's a very nice complex, lots of WPAFB people live there, very YP/diverse vibe. It would be my #1 choice if I were in your shoes.

But if you are willing to commute really far (like from, say, Beavercreek or Miamisburg, which both have higher Indian populations), then you would have a lot more options.

Anyways, to help out, here's a link to Welcome Dayton:
Welcome Dayton – Immigrant Friendly City

And some maps of where Indians actually live in the Dayton area:
http://www.welcomedayton.org/wp-cont...grant-Map1.png

Good luck!
I have used the "Contact Us" page of the Village Cloud Park apartments to ask them if a 2 bedroom is available or not. Also can you recommend any other apartment communities apart from them one you mentioned ? Because I need to have more options to ask because availability may not be there always.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:03 AM

OP, I completely understand. One complex isn't going to cut it.

Having done the morning commute to and from downtown, I can say with certainty that you won't get caught in traffic 95% of the time, or more, if you get off I-75 before exit 54A - Main St. South of that is where you'll run into problems on your commute. Also anything near the base would be troublesome too.

Many of the complexes downtown are more oriented to a younger crowd as opposed to a family, but if you have the budget for it I'd recommend this place downtown:
Luxury Apartments in Downtown Dayton, Ohio | First Place Apartments

They are expensive (over $1000/mo), which prices out both riff-raff and young professionals. I think it's mainly a community of established professionals and retirees, but there may be families too. Either way, would be my second choice for you after Cloud Park.

Third choice would be Park Layne across the river from downtown in Grafton Hill:
Park Layne | Apartments in Dayton, OH

Resident poster Amandarthegreat would be a good individual to DM if you think it would be a good fit. Again, very much along the same lines as Park Layne, but somewhat less expensive.

If none of these work, try the Promenade in Beavercreek. The commute from there would be miserable, but the community itself would be a good fit. Also browse Welcome Dayton and get in contact with people there, they can help you out a lot.

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2015, 10:06 PM

I had a talk with my colleague in Sidney and he told me that most people working in my company and client are staying in Sidney only. So yes I am mostly going to stay in Sidney only.
Lets see how it pans out.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:37 AM

908 posts, read 1,421,232 times
There aren't that many Indians in Sidney, but there has been a small but significant percentage of Sidney's population that are recent immigrants or people on a work visa in the US. I think many are coming from North Africa or the Middle East.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:43 AM

Still someone can keep suggesting me good apartments in Dayton / Vandalia or basically North Dayton. I am not hard pressed to stay in Sidney only. I know my office colleagues are staying there but if I can easily reach by car commute in 30-35 Minutes to my work location in Sidney then I am very much open to staying in Dayton area.
Also about rentals, is it a rule that if we are 3 people ( 2 adults and one infant), I have to take a 2 bedroom only or a 1 bedroom also is ok ?
For 2 Bedroom, I am trying to see if I can get good place in ball park of max $600 and willing to pay more if the apartment is really worth it.
I used to pay $850 in Dallas (Plano actually) for a 1 Bedroom apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton