Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 08:40 PM

794 posts, read 1,226,076 times

Advertisements

Will try to describe the three areas I know of that are in HPISD but in city of Dallas.

In the NW corner of HPISD...boundaries are North side of Greenbrier between Douglas and Lomo Alto, up to NW Highway

In the NE corner and East side of HPISD...From Lovers Lane to Northwest Highway, any house numbers that begin with a "7". For some of these streets this includes on the single block closest to 75 (e.g. Amherst, Stanford, Purdue, Hanover) for other streets it includes multiple blocks west of 75.

Also the 4500 blocks of Glenwick, Druid, Grassmere and Hyer

I think that's most of it. Maybe someone else can add or correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 09:45 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,326,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CThopeful View Post
Thank you, that's really helpful. I'm looking for the boundary map where you get HPISD schools but it's DISD city services. I don't think we'll do that, but curious what those boundaries are. Does anyone have a link?
HPISD boundaries:
https://www.hpisd.org/apps/pages/ind...REC_ID=1661096

City of UP boundaries:
https://www.uptexas.org/uptexas/medi...oads/upmap.pdf

Town of HP boundaries:
https://www.hptx.org/DocumentCenter/...ark-Map?bidId=

Old 07-05-2020, 09:40 AM

307 posts, read 477,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
For those who aren't up on the latest real estate jargon (I was going to call it something harsher), "single family attached" means

DUPLEX.

If you are OK with living in a duplex, that's fine. But it ain't nothing but a duplex, folks.

By the way, I just walked by one of those "luxury duplexes" in construction the other day (will probably sell around $700k a side). The much-vaunted soundproofing between the two sides consists of a double layer of drywall (not taped or bedded) in between the two sets of studs at the middle division. This does not continue into the attic, so any noise that gets into their attic will be in yours. So you'll hear a little less of their noise than you will of the noise in your next room, but silent is not going to happen.
This is not true by the way for anybody reading.

The building codes in both HP and UP mean the SFA's built have to have firewalls between them. I've lived in an SFA built in 2008 since 2011, and I've never once heard even the tiniest bit of sound from my wall neighbors. Absolutely no different than living in a free standing structure. I've heard more from the adjacent house since their patio is across from ours.

Any SFA built with the firewall regulations is a completely separate structure from the other house and is completely livable and quiet. You will be ok.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:18 PM

313 posts, read 369,189 times
The one on Stanford for just over $1MM is on a great block zoned for Hyer and walkable to HPHS. At some point, you could add a second story onto it like the house across the street. A SFA is a way that many start in the Park Cities. Either renting or buying at first and then observing the market for an ideal purchase.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:24 PM

60 posts, read 47,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
This is not true by the way for anybody reading.

The building codes in both HP and UP mean the SFA's built have to have firewalls between them. I've lived in an SFA built in 2008 since 2011, and I've never once heard even the tiniest bit of sound from my wall neighbors. Absolutely no different than living in a free standing structure. I've heard more from the adjacent house since their patio is across from ours.

Any SFA built with the firewall regulations is a completely separate structure from the other house and is completely livable and quiet. You will be ok.
Thank you, this is so helpful. Can you tell me a little more about living in the duplex area around the middle school? There is such density in that area, Is it loud? Are the neighbors social? Do kids play out front? Where do guests park? We'd love a larger interior space so I think the duplex is the right next move for us rather than buying single family but still being in a not comfortable spot interior space wise.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:50 PM

794 posts, read 1,226,076 times
Quote:
Thank you, this is so helpful. Can you tell me a little more about living in the duplex area around the middle school? There is such density in that area, Is it loud? Are the neighbors social? Do kids play out front? Where do guests park? We'd love a larger interior space so I think the duplex is the right next move for us rather than buying single family but still being in a not comfortable spot interior space wise.
Guest parking around the middle school is tough by Texas standards...meaning, your guests could end up having to park down the street a little bit. During carpool times it can be very crowded and difficult to get in and out of your house quickly, but that only lasts for a short period of time. There are plenty of nice neighbors all around, but some of the streets right by the middle school have crowded front yards and not a lot of space to play outside so it may feel a little less social than blocks with single family homes.

I know of several lower-priced homes in HPISD that have sold off market recently. My realtor friends keep telling me the market has been really active, especially at the entry level. Hopefully you are working with a well-connected realtor who can keep you informed of hip pockets.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
Guest parking around the middle school is tough by Texas standards...meaning, your guests could end up having to park down the street a little bit. During carpool times it can be very crowded and difficult to get in and out of your house quickly, but that only lasts for a short period of time. There are plenty of nice neighbors all around, but some of the streets right by the middle school have crowded front yards and not a lot of space to play outside so it may feel a little less social than blocks with single family homes.

I know of several lower-priced homes in HPISD that have sold off market recently. My realtor friends keep telling me the market has been really active, especially at the entry level. Hopefully you are working with a well-connected realtor who can keep you informed of hip pockets.
Thank you, so helpful as always. I'll PM you for your realtor info. I have a realtor who we've used forever but he's not plugged into the park cities.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:46 AM

307 posts, read 477,625 times
Quote:
How many guests are we talking about? 3 cars worth can just park in my driveway. Parking on the street can be sketchy, you can end up parking a little down the street, but it works out.

It’s not loud, plenty of kids play out front (including mine). Years ago there were more SMU kids, a lot of those older units have been bulldozed and rebuilt and now have families.

Depending which street you are on the middle school traffic pattern might be a problem and it might not.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:18 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,565,028 times
It might be worth looking at Richardson or Coppell. Nothing is going to be as close to downtown as the Park Cities, but if you start to get deep off the highways in the areas around White Rock, the commute starts get pretty darn close to what you would get in Richardson or Coppell.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
It might be worth looking at Richardson or Coppell. Nothing is going to be as close to downtown as the Park Cities, but if you start to get deep off the highways in the areas around White Rock, the commute starts get pretty darn close to what you would get in Richardson or Coppell.
Yes, we are also looking at west plano. We have family in that area, so it makes a lot of sense for us if we can be close to the tollway and as far south as possible. It's hard to swallow the commute though - I think we would only do it if we could both be in the office max twice a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas