Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,376 times

Advertisements

hi,
i am moving to wylie tx from new jersey cant take this cold weather anymore please any one tell me about wylie tx like school system, crimes , jobs etc or iof any other city near by wylie, i will appreciate that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 09:09 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger5 View Post
hi,
i am moving to wylie tx from new jersey cant take this cold weather anymore please any one tell me about wylie tx like school system, crimes , jobs etc or iof any other city near by wylie, i will appreciate that
Schools are good. Traffic to get into and out of Wylie in rush hour is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!! Especially if your going to have to travel Hwy 78 thru Sachse and into Garland to hit 190. Once you clear 190 on Hwy 78 your fine but getting there is BAD! Crime, there was a report just the other day on Wylie and some issues w/ graffiti. They are NOT going to put up with it and are actively cleaning it up and hunting down the perps and arresting them. Jobs, it is more of a bedroom community than it is a large employer base but they do have several good size manufacturing companies there. They also have a huge Kansas City Southern swith rail yard - this is new. Most of the industrial business are located along Hwy 78 or right off of it. As far as the nearby cities, avoid Sachse (one of the highest water rates around, only Rowlett beats them - avoid that place too). Garland is next coming down and it is nice - I live here in the Firewheel area. Rockwall is not far from Wylie going on Hwy 205. The area between Wylie and Rockwall is GROWING. Rockwall is nice - if you have to commute to downtown Dallas, this is where I'd recommend for the commute and the amenities. Lucas, Lovejoy, Farmersville, Parker - all smaller than Wylie w/ more of a rural feel, lots w/ acreage available in these. Murphy, another bedroom community that is nice and growing.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:25 PM

13 posts, read 77,081 times
Default Why Wylie?

Are you strongly wed to Wylie? What is motivating you to be there? There are some as good if not better choices near by. Wylie does have great home values. But, it is still not a well regarded area, and I believe that your home investment dollars are better spent in other areas. Wylie is hard to get out of...they need to spend more money on their streets.

Wylie is located along 78. If you want to stay there near 78, then you could consider a community called Grand Heritage near Lake Lavon. (yes, it's near a lake). It is a new huge awesome community, but the home prices are remarkably low.

Or, even better, just move to McKinney, which is about 15 minutes away. I think you will get your best value in Mckinney, and you will also have a better lifestyle for your kids.
Contact me at gbynum1@yahoo.com if you need more info.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:18 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Wylie has older areas and nice areas as well. Depends how much you want to spend. My daughter goes to elementary school here in Wylie ISD and we're really happy with the school so far. They do a great job of getting the kids involved in technology and have a ton of after school activities for those interested.

The traffic doesn't bother me one bit, because I don't take the main roads. There are plenty of routes around the traffic. You can take 78 to 190 to get to Fry's near 75, or you can take 544 into Plano, or take Renner to Plano Rd. That's what I love about the area, there are so many roads you can take to get somewhere.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:30 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Most of Wylie is in Wylie ISD.

The Dallas County portion of Wylie is Garland ISD.

The Rockwall County portion is in the Rockwall ISD.

I believe some sections of Collin County Wylie are in the Princeton ISD, though I'm unsure...

Old 01-05-2007, 04:18 AM

4 posts, read 218,960 times
Blatant plug:

Drop by http://collincountystation.com and browse around Collin County. The site is not all inclusive, but has some information on it.

Welcome to Texas, when you get here. It is a lot warmer in general than Jersey.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:50 PM

10 posts, read 37,700 times
Default what are specific traffic times from wylie?

what are the approx. commute times from wylie to the center of dallas?

Old 01-08-2007, 03:32 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrartist View Post
what are the approx. commute times from wylie to the center of dallas?
A good hour at least. You are going to have about 3 routes to pick from. Depending on where in the Wylie area you are and then depending on road construction for each.

1. Thru Rockwall to hit I-30 then into downtown. While I-30 has less traffic that 75-Central it is going to be the getting to it that will tie you up. Hwy 205 from Hwy 78 in Wylie takes you into Rockwall and onto I-30. Hwy 205 in Rockwall County is undergoing much needed construction for widening. Avoid going thru as much of Rowlett as possible. A quick glimpse at yesterdays Dallas Morning News will show you the TERRIBLE shape the roads there are in and just about all of them under construction .

2. Hwy 78 thru Sachse and then to Garland to hit 190 to 75-Central to downtown. Hwy 78 is 4 lanes across w/ 2 each way. It is a SLOW CRAWL morning and evening rush hour. And trying to get onto 78 from the side streets even worse. I live a stones throw literally from Sachse right at 190 & 78 and to go 2 miles can take me a good 30 minutes in rush hour. Needless to say I don't order pizza from the nearest pizza place to me in Sachse.

3. 544 to 75-Central. 544 is going to be much like Hwy 78 as they are both small farm to market highways that have barely had a chance to keep up w/ the expansion going on in the area. You have to remember that even just 10 years ago Wylie was still considered a very small farm town and "out in the country". Once you get to 75-Central it is still going to be slow go but it does move along. We go to the hockey & basketball games via 190 to 75 and it takes a good 45 minutes and this is in the evenings go against the rush hour traffic. And I'm a good 30 minutes or more from Wylie even though it is just a few miles up the road it is the traffic and small roads that make it long.

Just my two cents, if you like the small town feel of Wylie but want a better commute I would look in Rockwall and be a lot closer to I-30.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,373 times
i live in Wylie, but am in a subdivision that splits between Wylie and Lovejoy ISD. If you are convinced with Wylie there is a subdivision that is called Seis Lagos. It is a great community with 2 pools, tennis courts, community activities at all major holiday's. If you live in the front part of the subdivision you will be in the Wylie school district. New homes are being built in the subdivision that start at $400,000, but the homes that are older you can find for $200,000.
If you look in the back part of the subdivision homes are over $350,000, but again in the Lovejoy school district. we are about 10 minutes from the actual town of Wylie, so your main road to get to 75 would be on Parker Rd..
Even though we live in Wylie, we rarely go there..all our activity is done in Allen. Schools in Wylie are good, schools in Lovejoy are great.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:12 PM

10 posts, read 37,700 times
thanks for your replies..

We are also considering Rockwall as you mentioned. What about those commute times? Less than hour? 45 minutes?

Thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas