Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,394 times

Advertisements

Hello!

25 year old professional male moving to Dallas from Florida.

I recently visited and narrowed my places down to Medical, Design, and Oak Lawn. Will be working in Las Colinas so these areas shave about 10-15 minutes of commute if I were to live in Uptown or Knox from my research.

Does this save in time make up for a little less night life in the area? I do not mind driving or grabbing an uber to these areas on the weekends or if I feel like being a little social during the week day.

I tend to lead a more active lifestyle too so that Katy Trail looks like a nice place to ride a bike as well, but most of my exercise comes from the local MMA gyms I will be training at.

How is Medical District vs Design vs Oak Lawn? Any recommendations for apartments in these areas?

I was looking at 27TwentySeven apartments in Medical, but I have not heard to much about that district in this forum. Oak Lawn looked pretty nice as well and the complex I saw and liked was 4110 Fairmount Apartments.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 10:57 AM

516 posts, read 453,870 times
All three places are great! The Design District is a little more separated from the rest of the areas. I lived in the Medical District area for a few years. I liked the surrounding amenities, but you have to go to Oak Lawn or Uptown for the nightlife. However, that was just a five minute Uber drive. Oak Lawn is probably my favorite out of the three and has different feels depending on which side of Lemmon you are on. If you are at Cedar Springs and Oak Lawn, that area is considered the LGBTQ hub of Dallas. The area around Knox and closer to 75 is considered more upscale. There are also a lot of neat duplexes.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:05 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,785,301 times
For a commute to Irving I would do design district hands down. Easy on and off 35, close to Victory and Uptown (just don’t live too far west) and has things going on in its own right.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:21 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,402,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoi123 View Post
Hello!

I recently visited and narrowed my places down to Medical, Design, and Oak Lawn. Will be working in Las Colinas so these areas shave about 10-15 minutes of commute if I were to live in Uptown or Knox from my research.

Does this save in time make up for a little less night life in the area? I do not mind driving or grabbing an uber to these areas on the weekends or if I feel like being a little social during the week day.

I tend to lead a more active lifestyle too so that Katy Trail looks like a nice place to ride a bike as well, but most of my exercise comes from the local MMA gyms I will be training at.

How is Medical District vs Design vs Oak Lawn? Any recommendations for apartments in these areas?

I was looking at 27TwentySeven apartments in Medical, but I have not heard to much about that district in this forum. Oak Lawn looked pretty nice as well and the complex I saw and liked was 4110 Fairmount Apartments.

Thanks for any input!
For nightlife etc., the Design District is more isolated than you think. It can take forever to get across 35 to the rest of the city. However, the commute to Las Colinas might not be too bad from there.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:29 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,500,303 times
Why not live in Las Colinas and save your commute time?
You have 22 miles or more of Campion Trails for hike, bike, run, walk..
https://www.cityofirving.org/1127/Trails
Probably safer than Katy Trail.

You can probably get in some exercise around Las Colinas as well....if not you could head over to La Villita area.

Plenty of young professionals in the area....home to many fortune 500 companies...like Exxon, Flour, Pioneer Energy, Kimberly-Clark.

There is nightlife....but if you think you need to head into "D" for something different you can always take the train or uber to the areas you mention probably the one or two nights you want to do that.

Design district is different....really was industrial warehouse area until some people have built some or many apartments there. To me not really not much night life there. Never remember seeing a gym, but there could be one. No grocery stores...really not much shopping. A few restaurants have popped up, but maybe no place you would want to go daily.
Pretty close to the main greyhound terminal and the county jail and courts.

Oak Lawn and Medical district might give you more of what you want...grocery stores, library, shops and restaurants.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:44 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,469,723 times
I'm Flattered That you chose my name as yours....The Design district is your best bet. Its the center of the areas you mentioned.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:51 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,785,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
Why not live in Las Colinas and save your commute time?
You have 22 miles or more of Campion Trails for hike, bike, run, walk..
https://www.cityofirving.org/1127/Trails
Probably safer than Katy Trail.

You can probably get in some exercise around Las Colinas as well....if not you could head over to La Villita area.

Plenty of young professionals in the area....home to many fortune 500 companies...like Exxon, Flour, Pioneer Energy, Kimberly-Clark.

There is nightlife....but if you think you need to head into "D" for something different you can always take the train or uber to the areas you mention probably the one or two nights you want to do that.

Design district is different....really was industrial warehouse area until some people have built some or many apartments there. To me not really not much night life there. Never remember seeing a gym, but there could be one. No grocery stores...really not much shopping. A few restaurants have popped up, but maybe no place you would want to go daily.
Pretty close to the main greyhound terminal and the county jail and courts.

Oak Lawn and Medical district might give you more of what you want...grocery stores, library, shops and restaurants.
Sorry to say it, but there is so much stupidity in this post that I don’t know where to start. There might be a gym in DD? There are plenty. More than I would have thought the area can sustain. To say there are a “few” restaurants tells me that you haven’t been there in years. If you are ignorant of an area, please just do the forum a favor and keep to yourself?

Old 08-17-2019, 09:54 PM

989 posts, read 2,445,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoi123 View Post
Hello!

Thanks for any input!
Oak Lawn is the "gay neighborhood" but that apartment complex has a lot of pool parties with straight people.

Design District has good restaurants, so I would choose there personally, unless I were gay, in which case maybe Oak Lawn.

Don't know a ton about Medical District, lots of healthcare workers live around there though.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:50 PM

88 posts, read 89,882 times
The Design District is nothing, there is no streetlife. There's nothing there! It's not even walkable and it's in a flood zone. You will need to drive to leave that neighborhood, which is not a good thing. You will feel super isolated. The hole in the wall bars and restaurants there don't warrant actually living there. Visit, but don't live. Even Trinity Groves across the river is a better suggestion.

The bar scene is in Deep Ellum, that's the area of the city that has a future and will soon have a grocery store, eventually Uber employees. Still not super livable yet, a "must visit" place. The downtown is okay, and its centrally located. No grocery store yet either. And Victory Park is in walking distance to Uptown and has a grocery store. Uptown, Oak Lawn, Bishop Arts, Knox Henderson -- those are nice, well-located areas where people actually live.

Design District is like a zombie ghost town I have no idea what the appeal is...

Last edited by papi-p; 08-18-2019 at 07:19 PM..

Old 08-19-2019, 07:04 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,373,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papi-p View Post

Design District is like a zombie ghost town I have no idea what the appeal is...
Well, if you need to dump a body the Trinity's right there out your back door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: