Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 06:48 PM

12 posts, read 9,042 times

Advertisements

I'm temporarily in a Payroll Dept. as a Payroll Processor by sheer luck, I've been in Customer Service and Sales for 10+ years. About me: under stress and illness, my math abilities plummet and my psychology abilities skyrocket. I was a humanities major in college before I had to drop out.

I came to the DFW Area in 2015 and by the grace of God added a lot of experience to my resume, and am at the point where I want to go to a career school. But I have to keep my pay level current..... I'm working around a back injury to where I can't stand up and walk around on weekends at odd jobs.

I want to say that as a Meyers-Briggs Type INFJ with considerable analytical, planning and project organization skills, every time I want to take an aptitude test for getting into the IT Industry, inevitably the internet throws an article at me by some Millenial Tech Snob that says I "shouldn't even attempt going into IT" if I'm not already a whiz at home computers and am chock full of understanding of all the technical terms out there...... as if I should be one of Steve Jobs' long-lost cousins! Brings so much resentment up in me that as a Texan, mod cut doesn't know people have many sides and many abilities that accrue over time.....

From what I"m understanding, industries and their pay are lopsided in Dallas. Take for example, a resident in Irving, TX. The same job performed in Irving (where there is plenty of industry, for God's sake we have Las Collinas!) compared to the same job performed in Addison or Dallas is usually $2 lower in pay. And it's at that point you realize..... "oh God help me if I take a job I would love in Fort Worth, I'd never survive unless I lived in the woods around the gas fields, bitten with ticks and in a makeshift tent, like the local hobos do around here.".....

From what I've researched, government incentives for training in high paying jobs that don't require a lot of math are either in chemicals or aerospace. So much for Mr. Trump being able to influence the minds of companies in Dallas.....

Now, Meyers-Briggs Type INFJ's usually see the "glass half empty" first because we don't like making serious mistakes....but I want to hear some other people's opinions on good non financial jobs tending to pay "chicken feed", and judge whether I should stay in DFW, or migrate off to another major Texas city to improve my future.

Last edited by Acntx; 07-19-2019 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 07:41 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,347,816 times
I'm sorry, could you try to phrase that as a one or two sentence question?

Old 07-19-2019, 08:17 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,321,343 times
I literally have no idea what you are qualified to do, OP, based on that totally incoherent rambling. If you’re looking for better employment, it’s probably best not to mention wanting to shoot up random people giving you internet advice.

As a hiring manager, you have “red flag” written all over this first impression post.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:41 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,347,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I literally have no idea what you are qualified to do, OP, based on that totally incoherent rambling. If you’re looking for better employment, it’s probably best not to mention wanting to shoot up random people giving you internet advice.

As a hiring manager, you have “red flag” written all over this first impression post.
Yep, I bet he talks a mile a minute in a monotone and never answers any actual questions, too. Seen plenty of these. Always resentful that their unemployableness makes them unemployable.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:53 AM

33 posts, read 33,041 times
Let's be nice. We don't know this person, so making assumptions about them is not called for.

SilkRoadBaby - Will you please reiterate your original post and address your needs more clearly?

Old 07-20-2019, 12:18 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,467,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mqmercado View Post
SilkRoadBaby - Will you please reiterate your original post and address your needs more clearly?
That'd be useful. During my time here, there have been times where I've Dallas' job market was overhyped compared to reality, so this poster may perceive something valid.

Finance can be a lucrative field. OP does not have a BA/BS degree, so it'd be unlikely she would be able to obtain a high quality finance job.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:33 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,265,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkRoadBaby View Post
I'm temporarily in a Payroll Dept. as a Payroll Processor by sheer luck, I've been in Customer Service and Sales for 10+ years. About me: under stress and illness, my math abilities plummet and my psychology abilities skyrocket. I was a humanities major in college before I had to drop out.

I came to the DFW Area in 2015 and by the grace of God added a lot of experience to my resume, and am at the point where I want to go to a career school. But I have to keep my pay level current..... I'm working around a back injury to where I can't stand up and walk around on weekends at odd jobs.

I want to say that as a Meyers-Briggs Type INFJ with considerable analytical, planning and project organization skills, every time I want to take an aptitude test for getting into the IT Industry, inevitably the internet throws an article at me by some Millenial Tech Snob that says I "shouldn't even attempt going into IT" if I'm not already a whiz at home computers and am chock full of understanding of all the technical terms out there...... as if I should be one of Steve Jobs' long-lost cousins! Brings so much resentment up in me that as a Texan, mod cut doesn't know people have many sides and many abilities that accrue over time.....

From what I"m understanding, industries and their pay are lopsided in Dallas. Take for example, a resident in Irving, TX. The same job performed in Irving (where there is plenty of industry, for God's sake we have Las Collinas!) compared to the same job performed in Addison or Dallas is usually $2 lower in pay. And it's at that point you realize..... "oh God help me if I take a job I would love in Fort Worth, I'd never survive unless I lived in the woods around the gas fields, bitten with ticks and in a makeshift tent, like the local hobos do around here.".....

From what I've researched, government incentives for training in high paying jobs that don't require a lot of math are either in chemicals or aerospace. So much for Mr. Trump being able to influence the minds of companies in Dallas.....

Now, Meyers-Briggs Type INFJ's usually see the "glass half empty" first because we don't like making serious mistakes....but I want to hear some other people's opinions on good non financial jobs tending to pay "chicken feed", and judge whether I should stay in DFW, or migrate off to another major Texas city to improve my future.
What?

Old 07-22-2019, 09:15 AM

349 posts, read 379,586 times
I'm just as confused as everyone else. The only thing i got from OP's post was hearing them praise themselves repeatedly. It would appear reality doesn't match up with your assessment of yourself.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:22 PM

382 posts, read 421,674 times
The pay scale in DFW does range somewhat.

In my experience, the highest-paying jobs tend to cluster around 635 and the Tollway, followed by the Frisco/Plano corridor.

Positions based in Irving/Las Colinas seem to pay a bit less, and Fort Worth seems to lag all of these.

As for the other major areas in Texas -- they might pay a little more, but they also cost a lot more to live in.

If you'd like to go into IT, just go for it! Don't worry about random naysayers on the internet.

My advice would be this, however -- stay away from the "for-profit" career schools. Try the community college system where you live first.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:46 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,563,912 times
Sorry, but no one is going to hire a PM/BA etc for an IT job without some relevant background in the area. You don't have to have an IT degree, but you at least need to have some relevant experience or you will be completely lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas