Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 08:41 PM

315 posts, read 373,727 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I hear that the property tax rates are much lower in Alabama. Try Birmingham.
A friend does well with two condos in Gulf Shores but says it would be more challenging to make the same return in Galveston or Padre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 08:43 PM

7,902 posts, read 11,488,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
What other major metro area could I go where taxes are not as high?
Nashville. no income tax, property tax is a quarter to a third of Texas. Sales tax is a little higher. It has a diverse fast growing economy

Old 04-19-2019, 08:54 PM

206 posts, read 173,538 times
Tennessee does have income tax on income from stocks. Trying out a tax calculator online, with a house of the same value as mine in Dallas, Nashville would save me roughly the same amount in property tax as it would cost me in income tax.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:29 AM

964 posts, read 883,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Nashville. no income tax, property tax is a quarter to a third of Texas. Sales tax is a little higher. It has a diverse fast growing economy
Nashville is a quarter size. Not even close to a similar comparison. Major metro area. Top 15 in population.

Once again people prove DFW is really cheap for property taxes in that not one person can name a major metro area that has taxes this cheap. Atlanta would be 1 and Phoenix would be the other.

Nashville and Birmingham are the best people have come up with and neither is close to a comparable metro area. Of course, Houston SA/Austin also

Old 04-20-2019, 06:45 AM

724 posts, read 537,072 times
Quote:
Once again people prove DFW is really cheap for property taxes in that not one person can name a major metro area that has taxes this cheap. Atlanta would be 1 and Phoenix would be the other.
Except for the fact that they were named

Drawing the line at top 15 MSA's does bring Detroit and the IE into play.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:16 AM

964 posts, read 883,738 times
IE is more expensive but Detroit does fit, but it is a dying area. No they weren’t named. Nashville is not a major metro area.

Also, IE Riverside or Ontario is fine but Palm Springs is way too far out to be considered similar.

Oh and for the record its funny you struggle to name a few major metro areas that are cheaper when I can rattle off 10 that are far more expensive with ease. When doing a comparison of 15-20 and 10-15 are more expensive your premise of DFW being expensive falls apart. Falling in the bottom tier proves that.

Last edited by kyam11; 04-20-2019 at 07:28 AM..

Old 04-20-2019, 08:12 AM

206 posts, read 173,538 times
If we use the OP’s other thread as a guide for this discussion, it’s a $300,000 house in Dallas or otherwise near Richardson, Texas. Owner age is over 65.

The tax in Dallas and DISD would be an estimated $5,104. The DISD component of that would be capped at $2,824. Moving to Richardson ISD increases the total tax to $5,852. Moving to Mesquite ISD bumps it up to $6,080. City of Garland and Garland ISD comes in at $6,569.

Those are all Dallas County examples. I tried one in Collin County, Plano city and Plano ISD. It came out at $5,194. So to the OP, assuming this thread has not been left behind - the answer to her tax question appears from my quick look to be Dallas/DISD.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,517,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I just looked at Abilene. They are actually higher at 2.66% but the houses are probably 30-50% cheaper which is true for many of these towns.

Bottom line is they do pay less with a higher rate.

It's kind of like people in CA bragging about a cheaper property tax rate. Yeah but your houses are 2-3 times the cost of ours.
Right - give me 3 percent of $200k rather than 2 percent of $600k!

Old 04-20-2019, 08:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,517,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
Thanks, I hear that the property tax rates are much lower in Alabama. Try Birmingham.
A friend does well with two condos in Gulf Shores but says it would be more challenging to make the same return in Galveston or Padre.
Get this - we considered moving to the Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas at one point a few years ago, and one of the positives was a much lower property tax rate. But because of the STATE INCOME TAX RATE it would have still cost us over $7000 more a year to live in freaking Arkansas - which I didn't REALLY want to do anyway but I would have considered it for economic reasons - and that area really is beautiful.

So every situation is different.

Personally I wouldn't live in Alabama if you paid me to do it, but hey, that's just me.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:35 AM

724 posts, read 537,072 times
Quote:
IE is more expensive but Detroit does fit, but it is a dying area. No they weren’t named. Nashville is not a major metro area.

Also, IE Riverside or Ontario is fine but Palm Springs is way too far out to be considered similar.

Oh and for the record its funny you struggle to name a few major metro areas that are cheaper when I can rattle off 10 that are far more expensive with ease. When doing a comparison of 15-20 and 10-15 are more expensive your premise of DFW being expensive falls apart. Falling in the bottom tier proves that.
Again - you're arguing with someone that agrees with you. I never said DFW was expensive by any stretch.

The IE really isn't that much more expensive than DFW, it just sucks. And yes, hell, I was the one that brought up Phoenix a few posts in.

The point is, if you shop on property tax bill alone, you're left with:

Miami - mass psychosis
Phoenix - cesspool and desert heat
Detroit - no explanation needed
Nashville (leaving this on here because it feels way bigger than it is, and actually compares somewhat when you talk about the burbs) Schools are awful, roads worse
IE - Flatbrims and ugly
Atlanta - you think DFW traffic is bad? Hold my Coke

See, you were too hell-bent on arguing that you failed to see the logic.

Enjoy your Saturday, I'm headed to the Dallas Zoo with the kids, which is a pretty dang good experience and the membership runs us $200/year for the whole family. Afterwards, the oldest and I are headed to the dock to dewinterize the boat, then coming back and BBQ'ing in this perfect sunny day.

Like I said in another thread, you might want to back off the caffeine. Smile a little more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas