Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 10:35 AM

4,213 posts, read 6,902,367 times

Advertisements

We are closing on a home around White Rock Lake and I plan to have the HVAC replaced before we move in, while we are also renovating a bathroom and some other minor items that I'm trying to take care of at once while it is convenient.

This will be the first time I have owned property in Dallas, so I do not have a list of reliable, honest contractors who do quality work here like I built up while living at my house in another state previously.

HVAC Contractors always seem to be the most frustrating for me. I'm a licensed mechanical engineer with about 12 years of construction experience, and lots of experience designing HVAC systems for pharmaceutical, data centers, chip fab, automotive etc. As a result, I know exactly what I am looking for when I am looking for a full system install. I have a few specific models from a few manufacturers that I am interested in getting pricing on for the condensing unit, the AHU/FCU, and the furnace. I also know what these units cost wholesale and what reasonable contractor profit should be for this work (with a margin for location and seasonal supply and demand).

So far, I have called 2 different contractors, who were very pushy for one specific brand they rep'd (Trane in one case and Carrier in another). And, while I am open to receiving quotes on that equipment for comparison, it needs to be *in addition to* what I am looking for. The guy pushing Trane literally wouldn't even give me a quote on anything else besides Trane because he was 'trying to help me save money in the long run and he only sells his customers Trane'. When I said I also wanted a quote on a Goodman and a Day & Night unit, he said it wasn't worth my time because they were going to cost the same and be less reliable (even though the wholesale is significantly cheaper on the Goodman single stage 16 SEER units than the variable speed Trane unit he was trying to push on me).

I'm trying to buy something from these people and they are completely losing any chance at a sale by not offering me what I am asking for.

Does anyone have any recommendations from local mechanical/HVAC contractors who are not beholden to one specific brand and are willing to quote you only what you ask for? I don't need a manufacturer-specific smart thermostat (the home has a nest and I personally have an ecobee i could install as well). I don't need new ductwork (ductwork was replaced ~5 years ago even though the unit is 19 years old). I don't need a true variable speed AC unit and furnace for this tiny home - the payback just isn't there.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 01:54 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,556,121 times
It's been a few years, but I feel like Tempo gave us a lot of options when we used them (we did install Carrier though)

Old 03-23-2019, 03:04 PM

4,213 posts, read 6,902,367 times
Thanks! And carrier is great (and Trane is great too). Both early adopters/industry pushers of new energy efficient technology and proven brands. For this particular install though, I'm just happy with a small budget unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas