Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:02 PM

272 posts, read 247,177 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

So I'm moving from Toronto to Texas, at the moment I'm currently interested in either Dallas or Austin.
I plan on checking out both places this summer coming up. I was hoping you guys could help me out beforehand, possibly suggest me on areas of either that would suite me. I did relocate for school to a town that was a 100,000 people. Coming from Toronto where there is 4.5 million people I loved it as first but quickly became bored of it. I also felt like I stood out in that town. I am looking to settle down, any advice on the women in Austin compared to Dallas?

A little background about myself.

- 27 year old single male with entrepreneur mindset
- accustomed to sophisticated/luxury living
- love to keep fit
- I always like having something to do
- I work for my parents investment company, will be managing real estate income properties wherever I decide to relocate.
- I love cars - a strong car community is important to me
- I love the convenance a city has to offer but I also like my downtime a lot.
- im not into snobby people - but I like people who are ambitious and motivated and strive to be their best self.
- I love sports - soccer and formula 1 are my thing!

I appreciate any help I can get and I can't thank you enough!

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 12:08 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,315,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuggz View Post
Hey guys!

So I'm moving from Toronto to Texas, at the moment I'm currently interested in either Dallas or Austin.
I plan on checking out both places this summer coming up. I was hoping you guys could help me out beforehand, possibly suggest me on areas of either that would suite me. I did relocate for school to a town that was a 100,000 people. Coming from Toronto where there is 4.5 million people I loved it as first but quickly became bored of it. I also felt like I stood out in that town. I am looking to settle down, any advice on the women in Austin compared to Dallas?

- love to keep fit
- I work for my parents investment company, will be managing real estate income properties wherever I decide to relocate.
- im not into snobby people - but I like people who are ambitious and motivated and strive to be their best self.

Cheers

Try Florida.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:51 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,233,262 times
You really will have to visit both to get the opinion of which will be better for you. At first thought. I'm thinking Dallas-Uptown specifically might interest you.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:09 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,494,070 times
I've lived in both....live in DFW area now. Hands down you want Austin, not Dallas. I wouldn't even visit Dallas.
Make the most of your time and spend it in Austin.

We don't really have a downtown here....Austin does....Austin built for outdoor living....it's an afterthought in Dallas.

Plenty of new high rises for you to choose from.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:24 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,174,911 times
You list Formula 1 as an interest and Austin has a major Formula 1 race every year.

Circuit of The Americas

On the other hand, you're into soccer, and Dallas has an MLS soccer team. If you like other pro, major-league sports, Dallas has them all and Austin doesn't have any.

Austin has more outdoorsy stuff to do. But DFW is a bigger metro area with all the amenities that implies (better connected airport, etc.)

Coming from Toronto originally, you might find Austin a bit small after awhile. There are more luxury/sophisticated residential and shopping options in North Texas though Austin is doing its best to catch up.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:56 PM

272 posts, read 247,177 times
Thanks I appreciate it!

I keep seeing a lot of things about Uptown Dallas...I find the "30k" millionaires a very funny thing.
Is it really that bad?
Also, what are the typical cars you see driving around Uptown?

I ask because being new and all, as well as a car enthusiast, I'm hoping I can make friends over car talk.
I figured that will be the quickest way. to meeting a new circle of friends for me.

I drive a Ferrari so I think it'll be dope.. but I'm not down for gold diggers either.

What do you guys think?

Old 03-16-2017, 09:32 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,174,911 times
Dallas is more of a Ferrari town than Austin though there is a lot of new, tech money in Austin these days.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,321,343 times
Quote:
Thanks I appreciate it!

I keep seeing a lot of things about Uptown Dallas...I find the "30k" millionaires a very funny thing.
Is it really that bad?
Also, what are the typical cars you see driving around Uptown?

I ask because being new and all, as well as a car enthusiast, I'm hoping I can make friends over car talk.
I figured that will be the quickest way. to meeting a new circle of friends for me.

I drive a Ferrari so I think it'll be dope.. but I'm not down for gold diggers either.

What do you guys think?
1. 30k millionaires are common, but so are real millionaires. Dallas has one of the largest millionaire and billionaire populations in the US and has been the city minting the most new millionaires for much of the past decade. It's not that hard to pick the 30k-aire posers out.

2. I'm sure there are car enthusiast groups around DFW, but can't help you specifically.

3. Ferraris are not uncommon, but in the nicer neighborhoods, Range Rovers and the upper end Mercedes and BMW's are pretty standard. You'll see Bentleys, Rolls, and Ferraris but not every day. Uptown has a broad mix of residents from recent SMU grads to 30-something singles to empty nesters, so typical cars can range from Hondas and American trucks to leased entry level luxury cars to Teslas and 5-series.

4. Gold diggers. Hope you have good radar and are able to discern who is interested in you for you because driving a Ferrari puts a giant "X" on your back. I recommend doing what some of my wealthier guy friends did when they were single: buy a second car that's more practical and a lot less flashy (Denali, X5, 4Runner, etc) and don't trot the Ferrari out for your first few dates.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:32 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,085,879 times
Quote:
Hey guys!

- love to keep fit

Cheers
Austin. For young ambitious people with an enterpreneurial mindset that aren't snobby and like their downtime, have a formula 1 track and a huge soccer fanbase.

Uptown IMHO in the antithesis of that. Think young snobby people that are happy working for others ( more career minded than enterprenural) and love (American)football. For cars...They'll talk about your ferrari alright...But the conversation wont be 'Car Speak'. At least not with your age group. In fairness soccer is a thing in dallas too.

For reference i live in Dallas and spent some time in Austin. If what you describe is truly what you want, i'd say Austin would be more your style..

Old 03-17-2017, 07:58 AM

565 posts, read 723,508 times
You'd like either Dallas or Austin well enough. There are tons of laid back people in Dallas...I honestly wonder how many people who post about the "30 thousand dollar a year millionaire" ever actually lived in Dallas proper and not a suburb. I'm old and not fun and have kids now and we moved to the NYC area, but I spent the entirety of my 20's in Dallas and loved it. I had a amazing group of like minded friends who were young, single professionals.... I was/am a teacher but my group of friends included a weekend news anchor, and ER doctor, a dentist, several engineers (traditional and software), people in the arts, people in healthcare.....the gamut. The people who had money had it, those of us that didn't weren't pretending we did. But we all liked to go out and do fun things in the city--yes, we hung out uptown. And on Knox-Henderson. And at Mockingbird station. And downtown. And Deep Ellum. And East Dallas/Lakewood. Basically just about anywhere they had a happy hour or a fun event.

Austin is great, too! You can't really go wrong.

Incidentally, my husband's family are all from GTO so we go there several times a year. None of them are in the city anymore though--mostly North York and Markham. I can expand a little and tell you differences between Dallas and Toronto if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas