Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:39 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,197,403 times

Advertisements

Junius Heights is a neat area. It's what Vickery Place was 15 years ago. Many fewer tear-downs, lots of original bungalows. Why cheaper ? My guess is it has to do with architecture and original home desirability.

Junius heights is right next to Munger Place and Swiss Avenue which have loads of big historic homes and I think some years ago the little houses in Junius Heights were just not as attractive.

Others may have more insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 06:10 AM

28 posts, read 36,912 times
We lived in Lakewood for 10 years and recently moved. I personally would buy the Hollywood Heights home especially since it is zoned to Lakewood Elementary. Lakewood Elementary is going through a big remodel right now and it's going to make it the most desirable elementary school in DISD (which it already is). Also, that area is quieter but it does have crime so be aware.

Willis is a cute street and we had friends that lived on it for a number of years. It took the quite some time to sell it, there was more noise due to proximity to bars, etc and yes people constantly use Willis as a cut through street to get from Skillman to Greenville. I did all the time . I also think there is going to be more crime on Willia but both areas are on the edge of sketchy.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:34 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,641,283 times
Regarding inspections, it is really up to you and your comfort level. Being an older home, it is going to have more "stuff" than a brand new home in the suburbs. If you go in with the mindset that it won't be perfect, it makes it easier (IMO) Any inspector who is worth their fee will find any major issues (electrical, A/C, roof, etc)

Regarding Junius Heights, I think it is closer to sketchy areas making the prices lower. I believe that area has more wood houses instead of stone/brick so one would expect more maintenance. You might also check which elementary school it is zoned for. Lipscomb Elem isn't rated as high as Lakewood and Stonewall Jackson so that could affect the price as well.

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2016, 07:49 AM

43 posts, read 47,637 times
Thank you for all of your thoughtful responses and insight, I really appreciate it!

You are right about the schools, its zoned to a lesser ranked elementary school.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:59 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,352,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientbeingz View Post
Thanks Jennifw and Turtlecreek80!

I didn't think about the "tightness" and the "cut through" ness of a place, but that makes perfect sense, especially when the land and garage space is scarce.

For these older homes, does one go above and beyond in terms of inspection, ie, get an inspector, a termite expert, a plumber, and electrician or would you all just go straight through inspection, and then see what he or she had to say about each of the important pillars of the home?

Also, I noticed that homes in the Junius Heights area, off of Lipscomb Ave and Junius St (north of Abrams and south of Gaston near the Lakewood Country Club) are selling for significantly less than the aforementioned areas, at less than 200 dollars a square foot vs 250-280 per square foot in those other areas.

What gives?

Thanks so much again for all your thoughtful responses!
Any inspector who regularly works old homes can do a good inspection. They'll let you know if there is termite damage, foundation issues, or anything else that requires a second opinion.

As for Junius Heights, the prices are less than HH primarily because it's not zoned to Lakewood Elementary and less than Willis because it isn't in a prime location. Parts of Junius Heights, especially as you go southeast towards Columbia, are bumping right up against much higher crime areas. Many homes there are not a well constructed as the brick & stone homes in HH/SM. Basically, a lot of valid reasons why prices are lower.

I will say if you can find anything in the $200/SF range on Nesbitt/ Lipscomb/ whatever the other couple of streets that are directly south of Lakewood Village (west of Abrams) where the housing stock is more like HH (Tudors, Austin Stone cottages, etc), it's worth a look if you do not intend to use public schools while in this house. I'm pretty sure but not 100% sure that these aren't zoned to Lakewood Elem.

ETA- Forgot to say that if you like the look of Junius Heights, go spend some time there. I didn't mean to discourage you, just trying to explain the price differences. Junius Heights kind of reminds me of the way West Campus in Austin used to be with its haphazard zoning (multi-family, single family, and some commercial all mixed together). It's charming to some people but not to others! It's a small area, but I think it's a very "block by block" neighborhood - some great, some sketchy. If you do get serious about Junius Heights, I'd recommend visiting early AM and late evening to get a comfort level for safety. There do seem to be more transient people strolling around from Junius Heights all the way down to Baylor Med. Some are harmless, some are criminals. If you or your SO is not used to a real urban neighborhood, it might be a dealbreaker.

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 11-29-2016 at 08:13 AM..

Old 11-29-2016, 05:22 PM

43 posts, read 47,637 times
Thanks so much for your insight into all of this! I'm definitely going to be doing some drive bys during those areas to see how it is. Thanks again!!

Old 11-29-2016, 11:02 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,571,225 times
Quote:
ETA- Forgot to say that if you like the look of Junius Heights, go spend some time there. I didn't mean to discourage you, just trying to explain the price differences. Junius Heights kind of reminds me of the way West Campus in Austin used to be with its haphazard zoning (multi-family, single family, and some commercial all mixed together). It's charming to some people but not to others! It's a small area, but I think it's a very "block by block" neighborhood - some great, some sketchy. If you do get serious about Junius Heights, I'd recommend visiting early AM and late evening to get a comfort level for safety. There do seem to be more transient people strolling around from Junius Heights all the way down to Baylor Med. Some are harmless, some are criminals. If you or your SO is not used to a real urban neighborhood, it might be a dealbreaker.
That's a great point--it really doesn't "feel" like the other desirable areas nearby. I do wonder what it will be in 10-15 years the way things have changed in that area, though. It might be a good investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas