Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:42 PM

57 posts, read 209,790 times

Advertisements

We're talking w/ my company about perhaps moving to DFW. HQ is in Las Colinas & I would be flying a lot: at least 2x per month, likely 3x. We currently drive 18-22 miles to work, taking about 30-35 minutes with little traffic (I know that will change...)--that's just how long it takes.

My wife & I both value the rural to suburban lifestyle we have now, but I don't want to drive an hour and a half!

Considering going to 1 income so my wife can help get our children (9 & 2) integrated into the new life, so cost is an object. We think we want to either build or purchase a spec home.

Need 4 BRs, about 3,000 sq ft minimum. We're working with a Realtor & he's shown us several areas we think we liked: Lantana & Roanoke--Chadwick Farms.

What are we missing that will give us the small town feel, as easy a commute as possible, the ammenities of a master-planned community, and not make me think about doing something stupid with creative financing to afford it all? I imagine I should be posting this in the Ft Worth section as well.... All help appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,342 times
Default How I Chose

It is difficult trying to chose an area in the entire Ft. Worth/Dallas area. What I did was set some criteria. You may need to think about the following:

Which airport will you be using the most, Love Field or DFW?
How long of a commute are you willing to make each day?
Do your children attend private or public school? How do they get to school?

What I did was this - I knew where my husband was going to work and which private school my kids were going to attend. Using a compass and a large local area map, I drew 2 circles. One was centered on my husband's work, the other on the school. Each had a diameter based on the map scale and how far away was an acceptable distance. I based the distance on rush hour traffic speeds, which tend to be about 15 mph in the city if you are using city streets. So, since I didn't want to drive more than 20 min. to take my kids to school, the school circle was about 5 miles in diameter. Where the circles overlap is where we looked for a home.

A caveat: If you expect to move again within the next 5 to 10 years, buy a house in the best rated school district near where you want to live, even if your kids don't go to public school. A four bedroom house is generally for a family with young children and quality of education will be important in re-sale value.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:13 AM

Some of the employees use Love, but it seems most use DFW.

I'm willing to drive 45-50 minutes regularly as it appears I won't have a choice to have the lifestyle we think we want: more rural/suburban.

The children will attend public school, at least initially.

Thanks for all feedback!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:13 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishlandtoDFW View Post
We're talking w/ my company about perhaps moving to DFW. HQ is in Las Colinas & I would be flying a lot: at least 2x per month, likely 3x. We currently drive 18-22 miles to work, taking about 30-35 minutes with little traffic (I know that will change...)--that's just how long it takes.

My wife & I both value the rural to suburban lifestyle we have now, but I don't want to drive an hour and a half!

Considering going to 1 income so my wife can help get our children (9 & 2) integrated into the new life, so cost is an object. We think we want to either build or purchase a spec home.

Need 4 BRs, about 3,000 sq ft minimum. We're working with a Realtor & he's shown us several areas we think we liked: Lantana & Roanoke--Chadwick Farms.

What are we missing that will give us the small town feel, as easy a commute as possible, the ammenities of a master-planned community, and not make me think about doing something stupid with creative financing to afford it all? I imagine I should be posting this in the Ft Worth section as well.... All help appreciated!
Our situation sounds VERY similar to yours although our kids are younger. We also liked Chadwick Farms but may need to consider another area. I'll follow this thread.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:19 PM

therewego, where else are you looking? My wife & I are going/coming back down to DFW next weekend to look around/talk to builders.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
therewego, where else are you looking? My wife & I are going/coming back down to DFW next weekend to look around/talk to builders.
That's the thing, we have visited only Chadwick Farms before finding out we may move to Dallas. Of course, people their rave about their community but frankly, I'd like to be able to do more than just pay the house & private school for 2 kids, and really I haven't liked ANY of the builders' floor plans, but love the community ammenities...The other FW thread's suggestions have been a great help. The ideal would be to find a similar community feeling in that area, with a good floor plan, and a good price, with good public schools. Happy hunting!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:27 PM

Apparently rather close are several options: Haslet has many from smaller Chadwick Farms type developments to master planned communities, and right in the Alliance area there's a rather large master plan going on that H Ross Perot, Jr is involved w/. I'm more confused the more I read... I've only got detailed info from one builder in Chadwick Farms & one builder in Lantana right now from our previous trip. Next weekend I envision a whirlwind... Love to be closer to work in Las Colinas & DFW if we make the move, but we didn't really like any of the communities' feel. My wife's not planning to work outside the home, at least right away, so home life is REALLY important!

Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Apparently rather close are several options: Haslet has many from smaller Chadwick Farms type developments to master planned communities, and right in the Alliance area there's a rather large master plan going on that H Ross Perot, Jr is involved w/. I'm more confused the more I read... I've only got detailed info from one builder in Chadwick Farms & one builder in Lantana right now from our previous trip. Next weekend I envision a whirlwind... Love to be closer to work in Las Colinas & DFW if we make the move, but we didn't really like any of the communities' feel. My wife's not planning to work outside the home, at least right away, so home life is REALLY important!
Okay, keep me posted on your trip results. I am a stay at home mom and will continue to be so. I totally understand about homelife. We would like a planned community for that reason; trails, pools, parks, community parties, etc. This board has been great help, I know we will find something! Good luck!

Old 01-31-2008, 08:19 AM

My wife has NOT been a stay at home mom & doesn't want to go batty w/ our 2 year old! That's one of the reason we're looking at a planned community. Another reason we're looking to build/buy new is that we were advised that the majority of the folks will be new to the development & you won't be the odd family out when it comes to forming relationships, which can be tough on a new family too. I know kids bounce back & all, but it can really be tough...

Old 01-31-2008, 08:34 AM

Default your wife staying at home

Quote:
My wife has NOT been a stay at home mom & doesn't want to go batty w/ our 2 year old! That's one of the reason we're looking at a planned community. Another reason we're looking to build/buy new is that we were advised that the majority of the folks will be new to the development & you won't be the odd family out when it comes to forming relationships, which can be tough on a new family too. I know kids bounce back & all, but it can really be tough...
I had always worked so it was a shell shock for me when I started staying at home about 4 years ago. Yes, I learned quickly if you do "stay home" you get stir crazy but if you find a routine and schedule like taking them to the library, playdates, or to the park/pool it is SOOOO worth it to see them go through it all. My current home is NOT in a planned community so if want to do something we have to go out or to friends' community pools, etc. My kids LOVE to swim. Lesson learned: pick a planned community. The sense of community is also something we wish for...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas