Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:44 AM

6 posts, read 9,480 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are likely moving to Dallas from California and I'm in need of a preschool for my daughter (she turns 4 in fall 2014). My son will be entering kindergarten and ideally we will live in an area that will allow us to send him to a HPISD school.

Where we live in CA right now most preschools are open for class time 9am-12:30pm or 3pm. And then there is before and after care offered on site for us working parents. I could be wrong, but I really haven't seen something similar in Dallas. Do you have any recommendations of places that are open for the full business day but are also preschools? My kids are currently enrolled in an Episcopalian preschool where the focus on religion is fairly light (but present, which I like). Looking for the same in University Park, Highland Park, or similar.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 11:50 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
I know both HPPC and HPUMC have highly regarded "preschools". I'm not familiar with them having a "late" time though. TC80 should have some good insight on this subject as well.
Children
http://www.hpumc.org/life-resources/...pment-program/

*Looks like HPUMC offers until 6!

"All-day classes: M-F, 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m."

Old 01-08-2014, 11:54 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
To my knowledge, the only full-time daycare in the Park Cities is at HP United Methodist Church. They also offer a preschool. Oak Lawn UMC is about 5 minutes south of HP and it also has a full-time daycare program.

Most of the other churches offer 1/2 preschool only, no daycare. They may have after school extended hours if you check. HP Presbyterian and UP Methodist probably run the two best preschools in the Park Cities. Some other options that are not in the Park Cities, but close by, are Church of the Incarnation (Episcopal) and Westminster Presby. A bit further away is Preston Hollow Presby.

Another option is the Park Cities YMCA. They have a pre-school and I know they offer after-school care for older kids so I would be shocked if they didn't offer for preschool as well.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:05 PM

Okay great, thanks for the quick reply. I'll look into these straight away. Thanks again! If anyone has any other options, please share. And if I learn anything new I'll share back as well.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:54 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
HP Presbyterian and UP Methodist probably run the two best preschools in the Park Cities.

Of course I am biased...I teach at UP Methodist! We are the only NAEYC accredited preschool in the Park Cities, have a wonderful teaching staff, awesome programs, and beautiful facilities. School day is 9-2, except for Mondays, which is 9-12. Infants-Kindergarten. No before or after school care though. Still, lots of working parents choose us for their preschoolers.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:43 PM

792 posts, read 1,221,884 times
Community school of the park cities offers full time daycare/preschool next to SMU , though I'm not familiar with it other than that it exists.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:00 PM

792 posts, read 1,221,884 times
Also - many preschool application deadlines are fast approaching. Aforementioned UPUMC deadline is next week.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:30 PM

85 posts, read 144,754 times
Yes, most preschools esp Church preschools have their enrollments b/w Jan-early March for their fall session and most I know fill up on the same day.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and for the reminder on deadlines! They seem to be later here in Cali. I'm so glad you told me! UPUMC looks great and I'm intrigued by the Community School. So hard to do this long distance! Dallas is also one city where I do not know anyone. Thanks again for your help!

Old 01-08-2014, 08:50 PM

102 posts, read 184,731 times
Our kids attend the Child Development Program at Highland Park United Methodist and we love it. Tours have just started, so I would recommend calling the director, Carol, immediately. The wait list is typically very long, but you may find a spot with some kids leaving for private schools at that age. HPUMC definitely has a full-time option, we typically drop off at 8 and pick up at 5. Feel free to message me with any questions, it is really a special school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas