Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 04:10 PM

114 posts, read 209,836 times

Advertisements

I used acoolerhouse dot com to do my house. I was very impressed. They under promised and over delivered. My only issue with them is that they had agreed to bill my credit card over two months, and they billed it all up front. Not a big deal. They did the radiant barrier, redid my attic vents and insulation, and resealed all the doors and windows. I think the cost was around $3k for my 2800 sq.ft. house. I noticed a big drop in my power bills, especially in the summer. I can't say enough good things about them.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:04 PM

37,313 posts, read 59,977,052 times
read an interesting post today for home inspector in the Minneapolis area who was reporting on scam going on there--people selling radiant barrier sheeting to people (apparently senior-type homeowners) as a good upgrade for their house--a real energy saving feature--
when in that part of the country there is really NO energy saving to be had by putting foil radiant barrier in people's attics...
all their HVAC is in basement and there is just not the heat intrusion like we have here...

Old 05-13-2012, 01:20 AM

5,268 posts, read 6,423,901 times
I would just like to point out that if your a/c system ducting is in the attic space, it is always going to blow out hot air when it starts up unless you cool your ducts constantly (not sure how or why you would want to do that) or move your ducting into air conditioned space (which is how houses should be built in Texas, but most aren't) . You shouldn't include that as something you are trying to stop.

I've heard that in our area, a properly installed radiant barrier will lower your a/c usage by about 10%, which is nothing to sneeze at, and 'proper' includes all that things that others have stated about venting and additional insulation.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:27 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,274,300 times
In addition to the radiant barrier we installed attic tents on all 3 access points. They paid for themselves in a very short period of time. We could feel the difference in the air flow immediately.

Here's a link to more info about it. I didn't use this company, I just thought their site was clear and more concise than others. Attic Tent - The energy-saving attic access insulator.

Naima

Old 05-13-2012, 02:24 PM

23 posts, read 36,508 times
My A/C ducts are installed in the attic and I get no hot air blowing out of my vents when the cooling turns on at all. The ducts are buried in insulation and I have radiant barrier which keeps the attic cooler and prevents the ducts from heating up from any sun rays that penetrate the roof without radiant barrier as well.

Tree shade is the most efficient way of shading the roof but my south and west side are fully exposed so I put in radiant barrier and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I also planted a Red Oak on the south side (the back) to someday provide some shade but that is a few years away.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 AM

695 posts, read 1,449,126 times
We have a quote from Home Depot to do radiant barrier spray paint, adding insulation, and adding a bunch of vents. The spray is not eligible for tax credits but they said it is better than the foil in Texas, even though they acknowledge that it blocks less heat. Any have opinions on the spray vs. the panels?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 AM

5,268 posts, read 6,423,901 times
Quote:
it is better than the foil in Texas, even though they acknowledge that it blocks less heat.
It if blocks less heat, then how is it 'better'? Blocking heat is really all a radiant barrier does. Is it much cheaper?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 AM

695 posts, read 1,449,126 times
I actually don't have anything to compare it to, since I just have one quote so far. I've never heard that foil would be an issue in Texas and was just trying to figure out if that might be the case. The HD installer said the foil allows less circulation and that it makes it more difficult to find any roof leaks.

We'll get more quotes before settling on a provider.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:33 PM

36 posts, read 72,488 times
Default Radiant Barrier

I do pc house calls, and have several customers with radiant barriers. Their main complaint was that it blocks cell phone signals; one of them had to buy an AT&T Microcell so they could use their cell phone though their DSL line, because the RB ended up blocking their cell phones. They were unsure that if given the situation, that they would install it again. Both customers stated the savings did not meet their expectations.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:38 AM

931 posts, read 2,137,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric4114 View Post
I do pc house calls, and have several customers with radiant barriers. Their main complaint was that it blocks cell phone signals; one of them had to buy an AT&T Microcell so they could use their cell phone though their DSL line, because the RB ended up blocking their cell phones. They were unsure that if given the situation, that they would install it again. Both customers stated the savings did not meet their expectations.
Wow never knew that although I use WiFi in my house to get great signals. I am blocked by the large buildings on Central Exp near Northpark although since Tmobile went 4G its a lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas