Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,492 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking for a nursing program in the North Dallas area that isn't going to put me in debt. One with a GOOD reputation and a program that will allow me to work part-time. I have looked into the community college programs but they are VERY competitive and they don't recommend working while in school. This is almost impossible for me since I need some sort of an income (at least part-time).

I would welcome any advise here, especially from mothers who have successfully went through school while being a mom and working or one or the other. I need encouragement and motivation. I want to make this work, have to make this work...

Your suggestions, experiences are welcome... I am going back to school after being a stay at home mom for almost fourteen years. Was a Medical Assistant several years ago and am currently in the CNA program and will be testing for my certification at the end of August..

Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 02:11 PM

173 posts, read 402,009 times
Try Google search for NLN accredited programs in Dallas. The best options are going to universities like TWU or UTA, Baylor, attually getting a BSN. IF not or if those are too competetive, a secondary approach is the DCCCD system. El Centro has an RN and LVN program. From what I understand, the LVN program only requires a couple of prerequisites with watered down courses that aren't even really college level science classes. You could take the train straight from North Dallas down to El Centro. I don't know if it is offered part time, but I know that RN programs are. I think there is also a school called Trinity Valley about an our from Dallas, but you would have to check.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:18 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
I'm the HR Director at a local hospital.

Here's the problem: most LVN programs are only taught at private schools. Community colleges teach the 2 year ADN RN programs, not LVN. So, LVN programs will cost more. Dallas Nursing Institute was just shut down by the State, so really the only LVN programs left are Concorde in Arlington, and Platt in north Dallas. You will spend about $20k for your LVN, and most LVN jobs only pay about $18 per hour. You will most likely be working in a nursing home or doign home health as hospitals are cutting back on their LVNs in favor of RNs.

If you were willing to do your ADN RN, which will only take another 6 months, you have your choice of numerous community college and university programs in the area, and you will spend far less than $20k. Also, RNs usually make in the $30 range, so you will earn a LOT more. You can also work at any hospital and eventually be management at a nursing home.

If I was you, I'd do the RN program...

Old 08-04-2011, 07:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Helpful post Christy--can't give you rep again since last time however

From what I have read getting into an accredited RN program is difficult because of the number of applicants vs the number of slots
and many times the people do not have the grades/courses required to make the cut--
i.e. lots of them don't have enough math/science course or grades that indicate proficiency

for some of those schools for RN programs, aren't people required to take admissions test and get high enough score
vs just show high school diploma or GED to get into TCC or DCCC

Old 08-04-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Helpful post Christy--can't give you rep again since last time however

From what I have read getting into an accredited RN program is difficult because of the number of applicants vs the number of slots
and many times the people do not have the grades/courses required to make the cut-- i.e. lots of them don't have enough math/science course or grades that indicate proficiency

for some of those schools for RN programs, aren't people required to take admissions test and get high enough score vs just show high school diploma or GED to get into TCC or DCCC
Community colleges don't teach the LVN program. They teach RN. Only the private "career colleges" teach LVN. As I said, TWC just shut down ATI statewide, and the Dept of Education is also looking very closely at similar schools.

Yes, RN programs are difficult to get in because it is the more desirable license and there are more jobs in that field. Most people who didn't take a lot of math/science courses in HS, or who graduated a few years ago, will need to take prereqs to get into RN programs.

The sad thing is that the LVN program does NOT give any credit to the RN. To get a RN from LVN, you really have to start over! There are a couple of colleges that do a "bridge" program (Hill College, Weatherford College), but it still lasts 2 years and also is tough to get into because so many LVNs want to do it.

LVN is really a dead-end job. Hospitals do not want them because their license does not allow them to push IV narcotics, to pronounce a death, and to perform a few other specialized treatments. The only places that will hire lots of LVNs are nursing homes.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:26 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
what about a program for something like xray tech or ultrasound tech
those job skills are in fair demand aren't they?
is that an easier program or only through a "career college"

Old 08-04-2011, 08:28 PM

436 posts, read 1,347,868 times
Christy is spot on. I recruit for hospital and I think we have 1 LVN. I see LVN resumes all the time but I have nothing for them.

Radiology is a good field. However, the problem is similar to nursing. The community colleges offer the degrees at a good price but it's competitive. The career colleges offer those degrees too but at a price. If you look at Rad Tech programs, make double sure that it's accredited. For the career colleges, ask if they place you in internships or if you're responsible for finding your own. Where do people work after they graduate? How many find jobs in their field within 90 days of graduating?

Don't go into a profession just because it's in demand. What if you hate it? Or at least talk with current Rad Techs first to get the pros and cons. And whatever you do, don't become a Medical Assistant! Talk about overpaying to tuition and competition for jobs.

Good luck!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 PM

436 posts, read 1,347,868 times
Oops....I meant Christie! :-)

Old 08-04-2011, 08:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Gotta ask - what does the V in LVN stand for? Is it like the LPN I am familiar with? TIA.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:17 PM

LPN= Licensed Practical Nurse
LVN= Licensed Vocational Nurse
Different states call it different things, but it is the same license.

I agree with LizzieBeth about Medical Assistant: DO NOT DO IT!!! Total waste of money and there are NO jobs!! Again, ATI (private career college that TWC just shut down) was the biggest contributor to the oversupply of unemployed MAs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas