Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:06 PM

32 posts, read 82,897 times

Advertisements

My husband has taken a job that is now moving him to Victoria. Any advice as to where we should look for a home? We will rent before buying, so we are interested in a good area that is safe. We want to spend about $1000/mo. Doable? We are moving from a suburb of Atlanta, GA and am curious as to what day to day life is like in Victoria. Any info and advice is much appreciated!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 08:01 PM

484 posts, read 1,631,332 times
bates0504; actually, Victoria is lovely. I lived there for about 19 years before we moved to Corpus Christi. We still have many friends in Victoria and visit often,,, it's about 90 miles from here.

I'd suggest you look for a place on the North side of town, there are some very nice neighborhoods, houses with large lots and reasonable prices to be had.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
The earliest and best memories in my life are in Victoria! It's a great little town. It's also only two hours away from Houston and Austin and only about 1 and a half hours away from San Antonio so if you get bored you can easily take a day trip. Because of its roughly equal distance from these three cities it is sometimes referred to as the "crossroads".

Old 04-27-2011, 11:14 PM

4 posts, read 28,917 times
Thumbs down Yeah, don't!

I myself am a former resident of the suburbs of Metro Atlanta, as well as a Emory University Alumni. Going from there to the Corpus Area really feels like moving to a 2nd or 3rd world country. Corpus is by far the largest city in the "Tropic Trail" region of Texas, yet is very pale in comparison to Atlanta and ,ost of the surrounding suburban areas. In all honesty, it feels like living in Mexico City- as this is a very Mexican dominated region . I am planning to get out of Texas as quickly as I moved here and try my luck in Tulsa,

Old 04-27-2011, 11:22 PM

... Excuse the typos, as I'm currently posting from my smart phone... I plan to relocate to the much more civilized Oklahoma City area or possibly Tulsa, which I hear rave reviews about... Your jon in Victoria can't be THAT great and as a fellow Atlantian, I encourage you to turn away and trust me. You can even PM me and I will speak to you over the phone if you'd like to know more in depth of why not to move here.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 PM

*Job can't be that great, as I am aware of the industries in this region... Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin combined do not even come remotely close to the quality of refinement of Atlanta. Texans, bless their hearts, are convinced it's so amazing because it's all they know- it's home for them and where they're comfortable. IMO, leaving the Atl, unless totally desperate, is a colossal mistake.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:15 AM

32 posts, read 82,897 times
I don't believe we are making a mistake moving to TX as my husband is from there. He works for an oil company and what he does is not a job that is done in ATL. JBTX and UTHORNS96, thank you for your info. I am trying to get a feel for how big the town is and what is has to offer.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:44 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bates0405 View Post
I don't believe we are making a mistake moving to TX as my husband is from there. He works for an oil company and what he does is not a job that is done in ATL. JBTX and UTHORNS96, thank you for your info. I am trying to get a feel for how big the town is and what is has to offer.
It's a medium sized small town. A population of about 80,000 in the city limits I would say. It has a mall, a pretty big movie theater and all your standard restaurants and stores like Ross, Pet's Mart, Target, Ihop, Japanese Steakhouse so on and so forth. It even has a nice little theater downtown that sometimes gets some pretty good acts for such a small town. The Harlem Gospel Choir performed there one time. They've been on the Today Show and Good Morning America.

It's not a town that will fulfill ALL your entertainment needs by itself, of course. For that you'll have to travel to one of the larger cities. But for day to day living I think it does just fine.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:59 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Some parts of Victoria were flooded pretty badly in years back. Check out the flood plain maps here:

http://maps.victoriatx.org/InternetMapViewer/

Click on the "Map Contents" bar at the top left side. Click on the + sign next to flood zones, then + and check Flood Plain 100 & 500 to see the flood plain locations. So you know what areas to avoid living in.

This is not a problem peculiar to Victoria. This is something you should check in any town in Texas, as these kinds of flash floods are not uncommon.

October 1998 Central Texas floods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Victoria is a nice community, we enjoy visiting there whenever we drive through on our way to the coast. It has several advantages including access to the coast for boating, fishing, beaches. Downtown Victoria is very pretty in my opinion, love some of the old Victorian houses.

Demographics data here: https://www.city-data.com/city/Victoria-Texas.html
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Victoria...any advice?-floodplainvictoria.jpg  

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-28-2011 at 02:14 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 03:22 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...area-info.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas