Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:46 AM

42 posts, read 117,333 times

Advertisements

Anyone shopped around for the best deal to get Solar panel, Solar energy?
We are buying a new house and I know there are all kinds of state funded programs in CT for Solar Energy. Don't know where to start....

Steph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 02:54 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Good for you! There should be more interest in solar panels. I know CT is big with them. Oil dropping to $55 didn't help the demand. Neither does the investment. I figured, you have to stay at the home for more than 4 years to re-coupe and enjoy free energy.

Some info here: Good luck and let me know what you decide! I'm thinking of doing it also! Tax incentives are great.
Solar Connecticut

Old 11-14-2008, 10:55 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
I have nothing against them, but I also don't want to pay for your solar panels. Please do not use state (our) money to do so.

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:31 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Yes, we recently shopped for solar and opted not to go that way. If the home your buying is not facing the right way ~forget it they don't work well. If you want the solar electric panels then it will likely take up most of the roof (ok if you like the way that looks), however if you think the home will need a new roof in a few years keep in mind that the entire system needs to come off to fix the roof and then get put back up adding to the costs, but you can make a little money if the system makes more electricity than your family uses, 'cause the power company buys the extra.

Also if you choose the ones that heat domestic hot water, the same roof coverage is required.

We were told almost no homes have enough roof area to have both systems and the costs are huge even with the rebates.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:45 PM

I ended up getting a wood stove to heat my home. No more oil. Just for showers now. And I might even install a smaller wood stove to take care of the hot water next.

Almost feels like people rather go back to the 1800 way of living. Its rediculas now a days even if you have millions.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Yes, we recently shopped for solar and opted not to go that way. If the home your buying is not facing the right way ~forget it they don't work well. If you want the solar electric panels then it will likely take up most of the roof (ok if you like the way that looks), however if you think the home will need a new roof in a few years keep in mind that the entire system needs to come off to fix the roof and then get put back up adding to the costs, but you can make a little money if the system makes more electricity than your family uses, 'cause the power company buys the extra.

Also if you choose the ones that heat domestic hot water, the same roof coverage is required.

We were told almost no homes have enough roof area to have both systems and the costs are huge even with the rebates.
Good to know, I'll look into it. I do want it for the water heater if possible.
There is a company I heard of who will come and let you know how much sun you are getting on the roof.
We are also thinking to get a wood stove.

Steph

Old 11-14-2008, 09:18 PM

438 posts, read 1,197,263 times
I think some of the non-photovoltaic options for running a solar water heater look pretty promising, and would encourage you to check those out. I know people have done some amazing things with little more than soda bottles and tubing, so even if you don't have the right roof situation for "pure" photovoltaic solar, other options may be possible.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:28 PM

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/lab/888126218.html

Here's a nice job to have. Maybe you can get some info from them.

Solar Power Regional Installation Manager (Milford, CT)

Akeena Solar:
Run Your Electric Meter Backwards With the Leading Solar Power Company in the U.S.!
Akeena Solar, Inc. (OTC BB: AKNS), a leading designer and installer of solar power systems, has an immediate opening for a Regional Installation Manager for our Milford, Connecticut office to serve the exponentially growing demand for solar energy among residential and commercial customers in the area.
We are looking for an experienced Regional Installation Manager to expand our solar installation team and to oversee residential and commercial projects.
The ideal candidate will have a combination of solar installation knowledge, project management and general office management skills. This position will be responsible for managing company work crews and subcontractors, ensuring a high degree of job safety, coordinating projects with engineering and supporting marketing campaigns and local sales staff. You must know how to make projects run smoothly and on budget. The position will report to our corporate Operations Manager.
Job Requirements:
• 7 – 10 years proven project and/or construction management experience
• An broad understanding of building construction techniques, roofing, electrical, HVAC and/or Photovoltaic systems is required
• Solar power and electrical contracting experience a plus
• NEC (National Electrical Code) knowledge
• NABCEP certification or C10 license a plus
• Strong knowledge of MS Word and Excel, computer literate
• Strong negotiating, math, written and verbal communication skill

Old 11-16-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
I think some of the non-photovoltaic options for running a solar water heater look pretty promising, and would encourage you to check those out. I know people have done some amazing things with little more than soda bottles and tubing, so even if you don't have the right roof situation for "pure" photovoltaic solar, other options may be possible.
That is pretty wild stuff, not something I could ever do but interesting!!

Steph

Old 11-16-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHere View Post
http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/lab/888126218.html

Here's a nice job to have. Maybe you can get some info from them.

Solar Power Regional Installation Manager (Milford, CT)

Akeena Solar
thanks, I'll look it up!!

Steph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut