Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 10:42 AM

652 posts, read 1,787,913 times

Advertisements

I have recently found out I have been left behind with this whole CD, DVD, R, RW disc burning technology.
I was wondering if someone would post a sticky with step by step instructions on how to burn each kind of disc and the steps for it.

Heck I don't even know if my laptop or tower has a program for it. I installed Power ISO but I think that's only for images. Vista HP has a DVD maker, but it seems to me it only does images as well.
I'd like to know how to burn data to a disc so that I can use it as I might use a 3.5 floppy.
I am posting because I don't think I am the only one who is ignorant of how this is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 10:59 AM

16,728 posts, read 15,731,369 times
CD usually likes to limit sticky threads to two per forum. My vote for a second one would be to organize our recommendations for free or low cost software.

Your issues with disk burning qualifies for a good thread. Personally, I like Nero, but others here like ImgBurn (free). Roxio seems to be less intuitive to use, in my opinion.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:13 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,135,271 times
  • CD Discs vs DVD Discs
    CD was introduced for audio and DVD for video because you needed a larger size. They aren't much different except the amount of data they can store.
  • Standard Disc vs. Data Disc
    A Standard CD/DVD disc such as the ones you would purchase in the store have a specification for formatting of the video/audio/Directory structure and other things. These will play in any CD or DVD player. You can create these with the correct software, they don't necessarily need to be bought.

A data disc on the other hand can contain anything however you can't simply burn a video as data and expect it to play in a standalone DVD player, the same thing with images which are not even included at all within the DVD spec. Now they may play and be viewable on a lot of players because the manufacturer added that option. To create DVD that is viewable on any DVD player you DVD authoring software that may or may nor be included in a DVD burning package.
  • R vs RW
    R only allows data to be written to it once, it cannot be erased or overwritten. RW can be reformatted and written to again multiple times. RW should be avoided because they are more prone to failure. WEhat they are useful for is testing purposes specifically if you are new to making DVD vide discs. You can make a few trial runs to make sure you have the process down without burning through a bunch of mistakes. Not really important now with the price of discs.

While on the topic never store anything on any DVD/CD disc that is important if you do not have an alternate backup.
  • - vs +
    At this point in time shouldn't be much of problem but hese are two different types of discs. Undoubtedly a computer DVD player/burner should be able to read and write to both. Where the real issue has cropped up in the past is standalone DVD players. Some could only read +, others could only read -, some could read neither. Might be worth it to check out this list to see what is compatible with your player especially if you have an older player. This also lists what other type of media it can read on data discs outside the DVD spec such as if it can display images, video burned as data etc..

DVD Player and Blu-ray Player Compatibility List

Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,469,170 times
I use Nero, I am not computer geek and it walks you through every last step, even helping you create the paper insert for the CD and a label for the CD if you wish.
I have had it change regions on a file I have downloaded, a TV or movie that was meant for the UK was magically changed to be viewable on US equipment. I can't say enough about the program, its just awesome.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:31 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,997,055 times
Everyone has mentioned a couple of different programs that burn CDs and that is really the key variable in how-to burn CDs. They're all a little different.

Google, my friend. All you have to do is ask Google.

Let me google that for you

Old 07-10-2009, 01:15 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,031,234 times
Unfortunately, CD/DVD burning is not a cut and dry operation, much has to be taken into account. On the Windows side you have to consider that XP and older version do not have native support for DVD burning, and Windows ME and older have no burning support at all, thus 3rd party software is needed, and how you burn a particular format is dependent on what software your using. Windows Vista and the upcoming Windows 7 have native CD and DVD burning support, but that support is limited, you'll still need 3rd party applications for certain tasks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers