Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 05:52 PM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
Veddy veddy funny
Watch it or i'll pull out the quadra 900 on you guys
Hey, you can't skeer me... I had a hand-me-down TRS-80 III that made the TV picture roll when I turned it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 06:57 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
I am not totally sure but I do believe you have to crash the C drive somehow. My husband is a computer guru for a large bank and he knows who to do this. It is C\ then some other stuff, I will have to ask him. I wasn't much help but that is a start. Maybe you can find some info on the internet? Look up cleaning a hard drive or crashing a hard drive...next question I will have to look into for you when the hubs gets home is what part does a Motherboard play in storing info. You may have to install a new one of those too. UGH..huh?
Pam, I know your trying to help, but nothing in your post is even remotely correct, except maybe your husband being in the IT field. Not bashing you in any way, but please don't add to the OP's confusion

Old 06-29-2009, 07:01 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
Is there a usb to usb jumper I could use to connect this thing to my laptop?
A jumper, no. You can get a USB data transfer cable, it is designed for this purpose, don't even think about using a standard USB A to A cable, you'll fry things.
If both systems have a functioning network card you can use a a crossover cable as well.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:03 PM

652 posts, read 1,784,820 times
Ok guys I'm going nuts here.
I do not burn discs on a regular basis. I think I got lucky yesterday but it wasn't a CD

I have DBAN on my desktop, I have CDBurnerXP which DBAN recomends, and I have a brand new blank CD-RW in the drive. I cannot figure it out. I do not know if I need to format and if so how. I have formatted with the automatic windows on a previous new disc and CD Burner XP declared it had to be erased then wouldn't let ne proceed with making the disc bootable.

Who do I have to **** to get this dam program onto a ****ing bootable disc!!!!!!!!@!@ **** I'm pissed

Old 07-01-2009, 10:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
First, don't use CD-RW blanks. Use CD-R blanks. No formatting is required. Just stick the blank in the burner and tell your program to turn the DBAN .iso file into a CD.

I use a program called PowerISO (free download). Open the DBAN .iso file in PowerISO, then click on Tools, Burn in the menus.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:58 AM

Thanks. I'm going to pay a kid with that RAM memory I bought a while back and he is going to wipe, install win2K and the drivers. Then I'll get the pc133 512 RAM chip I bought in a couple days, install it and viola I'll be able to give it away. that guy worked pretty hard for me in high heat.
I think I'll try that CD-R thing just to do it. It doesn't seem right that I couldn't use the site recomended method so I want to be sure it is my ignorance and not something else preventing success.
The DBAN instructions leaves a lot to be desired. They assume a great deal of prior knowledge on the part of the reader thus skip listing steps that are natural to them but are not to a novice.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:20 AM

EscapeCalifornia thank you very much. It worked fine. I started the computer in Question and it came up as it should. I had to figure out what Open in PowerISO meant but that was easy as soon as I took a breath. I haven't run it as the kid will be here in 40min and I think this takes 3-4 hours. I'll get him to put all the software for after the nuke onto CD-R for me. Then I'll do the rest myself which I prefer to do anyway.

Thanks a bunch.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:05 PM

I feel completely frustrated and angry, that kid didn't get the drivers fixed after installing win2K and mounted an E drive on my laptop and the tower, which has my DVD drive acting funny. I can copy a file to it on the laptop, but it doesn't burn and when I put it in the other computer it doesn't even see it. It is a CD-R.
I can't find this MagicISO and it's data burning companion (which is what the E drive is) he put on my laptop and I'm angry. The properties of the E drive say its 0 bytes on the laptop and I haven't to run it on the tower yet.

It would help if anyone could tell me how to unmount this virtual drive in Vista home Premium and win2K. I used add/delete software in win2K and restarted butit's still there and I haven't tried to remove it from the vista system yet.

Last edited by nutleynut; 07-02-2009 at 06:56 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 07:44 PM

Oh goody I found the Intel Chipset identification utility and I got the drivers it had for my 815 chipset family and now I've loaded 2 of them and on the second chance I forgor to deselect restart now and it did and now I have a black screen.
The two files were; infinst_enu and iaa23_enu

Any thoughts on how to get out of this free? That is the point BTW to save money I've already lost $103 on this project not including the original $85 for the unit.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:10 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Quote:
Any thoughts on how to get out of this free? That is the point BTW to save money I've already lost $103 on this project not including the original $85 for the unit.
Remember when I said this machine was probably a lost cause and more trouble that it was worth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers