Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 05:02 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times

Advertisements

1,000 miles north of me is a relative whose laptop will not connect to the internet. She has a laptop with Vista and the default browser is newly-installed Chrome. She can connect wirelessly at home here in FL, but now that she's visiting and needs to connect through her host's router, well, it's no can do. During her visit last summer, there was no problem; however, two things are different now: she has Chrome, and her host has changed DSL service requiring a new key/password.

The router isn't the problem because a desktop and another laptop in the house connect just fine wirelessly.

I know how to set up a new connection or troubleshoot an existing one with XP, but I don't know anything about Vista. I also know nothing about Chrome (if that's part of the problem) -- I believe she used Firefox prior to Chrome and/or maybe IE, and I presume both are still installed somewhere on her machine. Since I have to help her via the phone and won't be able to see her laptop and help her make choices, I'm hoping someone here can give me some hints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 05:33 AM

176 posts, read 638,787 times
Try using logmein.com ?

Old 06-20-2009, 05:47 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsdale View Post
Try using logmein.com ?
How will that help when the PC that needs troubleshooting can't connect to the internet? The first line of the post reads "a relative whose laptop will not connect to the internet"

Old 06-20-2009, 05:48 AM

Is it connecting wired or via a wireless router?

Old 06-20-2009, 06:12 AM

176 posts, read 638,787 times
NHDave: roger.

OP: I have limited experience with DSL, but recently had a problem with a relatives older DSL modem on visiting. Turns out the ISP hardwired new IP and DNS servers to their modems, without DHCP or other automated services doing so to said older modem.
(my hunch was that it was a good way to sell new modems)

Turns out the only resolution was to get a new (or newly honed DSL modem) from said ISP.
<shrug>

Old 06-20-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Is it connecting wired or via a wireless router?
Wireless.

I'm guessing it's a problem with my aunt's laptop since my parents' desktop and laptop both connect just fine wirelessly with the router.

My question basically is how in Vista does one get to connection settings? With XP, it's Start, then Connect to, and then I have a whole list of choices about setting up a new connection or repairing an old one, etc. With Vista, will I find the same kind of "path" to take?

Old 06-20-2009, 06:50 AM

See How to connect to a wireless network in Windows Vista

and The Cable Guy - April 2006

Old 06-20-2009, 06:56 AM

Thanks! I'm pretty sure this is the info I was seeking (my google search prior to posting here overwhelmed me with choices :-)

Old 06-20-2009, 09:06 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Chrome has nothing to do with her inability to connect, but her friends new ISP does. If there is security on the wireless, then her friend needs to tell her the type and the passphrase used to secure it.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:41 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
1,000 miles north of me is a relative whose laptop will not connect to the internet. She has a laptop with Vista and the default browser is newly-installed Chrome. She can connect wirelessly at home here in FL, but now that she's visiting and needs to connect through her host's router, well, it's no can do. During her visit last summer, there was no problem; however, two things are different now: she has Chrome, and her host has changed DSL service requiring a new key/password.

The router isn't the problem because a desktop and another laptop in the house connect just fine wirelessly.

I know how to set up a new connection or troubleshoot an existing one with XP, but I don't know anything about Vista. I also know nothing about Chrome (if that's part of the problem) -- I believe she used Firefox prior to Chrome and/or maybe IE, and I presume both are still installed somewhere on her machine. Since I have to help her via the phone and won't be able to see her laptop and help her make choices, I'm hoping someone here can give me some hints.
Just go through the motions of standard trouble shooting by using the command line.

Have them type and relay to you information from:

ipconfig /all (check the configuration of the adapter)
ping (verify the ip address of a target is accessible)
pathping (check for any issues between packet traverse statistics)
nslookup (make sure name resolution is working)
You can also click the connection properties for the adapter and choose repair which will run a list of command lines which release, renew, clears the arp cash, etc...

What you should do is dependent on the information you obtain from those tests.

Narrow the problem down. That is the easiest way to deal with a connection issue without having to be familiar with the GUI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers