Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:28 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,963,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
What happens when you try to uninstall IE8?
I didn't uninstall IE8, I was afraid of losing something. Will I lose favorites uninstalling IE8 or anything? Should I do that and install IE7?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 07:55 AM

16,750 posts, read 15,792,204 times
It should revert back to IE7. If you want to err on the safe side, make a copy of your Favorites. You can Export a copy from the File menu, or use Windows Explorer to find your profile folder and copy the folder named Favorites.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:37 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,066,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I didn't uninstall IE8, I was afraid of losing something. Will I lose favorites uninstalling IE8 or anything? Should I do that and install IE7?
Wel, I'm a tad confused, you say you haven't tried uninstalling IE8, yet a few posts ago you said "Version 7 was better for me but it won't let me go back (down) from 8".

Did you try the fix I posted?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Wel, I'm a tad confused, you say you haven't tried uninstalling IE8, yet a few posts ago you said "Version 7 was better for me but it won't let me go back (down) from 8".

Did you try the fix I posted?
I did the fix you posted, did not work. What should that have done? City Data screen just looked funny before and after I did this fix. Some letters were red etc.

It still churns away. What I meant about IE7, I tried to install it w/o uninstalling IE7.

Now, can I uninstall IE8 and install IE7? Should I try this?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:31 PM

You can't install IE7 with 8 installed, uninstall 8 via Add/Remove programs and what ever version you had before 8 will be back.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:56 PM

I uninstalled IE8, RE-installed IE7 to get the latest updates. It seems to be better, taking 5-6 sec to open a new tab. IE8 took about 15-20 sec, churning away. I guess that's it, so much for newer versions.

Any other comments/suggestions? Thanks for all your help and patience.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:14 PM

What are your system specs, CPU, Memory, free hard drive space?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
What are your system specs, CPU, Memory, free hard drive space?
Dell XPS 400 P4, Memory=1GB DUAL, 20GB USED SPACE, 49GB FREE SPACE, Windows XP

Old 05-01-2009, 08:35 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,827,699 times
1. You mentioned "churning". Please define what this is to you.

2. Startup. Go to Start/Run and key in msconfig. Click OK. How many items are listed under the startup tab? If there are more than 6 would you list them for us?

3. What is listed in Add/Remove Programs in the control panel? Any toolbars listed? Anything mention shopping or coupons? Old programs you never use?

4. When is the last time you ran defrag, or a third-party equivalent?

5. Go to My Computer and right-click the Drive C: icon. Click Properties. Click the Tools tab. Click on Check Now. Put a check in both boxes and reboot. Let the scans run (Light blue screen, white text). Scans will likely take a while.

6. When you are waiting for the tab to open is your hard drive light on all the time?

7. Open Task Manager (Ctrl/Alt/Del). Click on the Processes tab. Click on the CPU column (where it says CPU in gray at the top) so the highest number is at the top. This will normally be System Idle process. Highlight this process. Open a new tab and see what pops to the top of the column and how long it stays there. Also note if it changes when the tab opens. Notice that at the bottom of this window the CPU usage is displayed. See how high it jumps and how long it stays there. In general this should be under 20% most of the time. If it's running consistently high then you have a process running that you may not know about.

8. Control Panel/System/Advanced tab. Performance Setting s button. Change setting to Best Performance. Click OK and the screen with go to gray scale and back to color. In the Advanced tab on the Performance screen fill the radio buttons for Programs in the top two boxes. In the bottom box the value should be at least 1024.

I'm probably forgetting something(s) but this is a good start.

Have at it.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
1. You mentioned "churning". Please define what this is to you.

The hard drive is working, light is on.

2. Startup. Go to Start/Run and key in msconfig. Click OK. How many items are listed under the startup tab? If there are more than 6 would you list them for us?

25 items:

ehtray, iaanotif, atiptaxx, intelmem, ctsysvol, ctdvddet, cthelper, updreg, dvd launcher, realplay, gttask, isuspm, issch, tfswctrl, msascui, sprtcmd, mcagent, aawtray, reader_sl, jusched, ctfmon, googletoolbarnotifier, yahoo messenger, teatimer, and wmpnscfg

3. What is listed in Add/Remove Programs in the control panel? Any toolbars listed? Anything mention shopping or coupons? Old programs you never use?

the 3 toolbars are listed, if i remove them, i can't use them!

4. When is the last time you ran defrag, or a third-party equivalent?

I did defrag before and often.

5. Go to My Computer and right-click the Drive C: icon. Click Properties. Click the Tools tab. Click on Check Now. Put a check in both boxes and reboot. Let the scans run (Light blue screen, white text). Scans will likely take a while.

6. When you are waiting for the tab to open is your hard drive light on all the time?

yes

7. Open Task Manager (Ctrl/Alt/Del). Click on the Processes tab. Click on the CPU column (where it says CPU in gray at the top) so the highest number is at the top. This will normally be System Idle process. Highlight this process. Open a new tab and see what pops to the top of the column and how long it stays there. Also note if it changes when the tab opens. Notice that at the bottom of this window the CPU usage is displayed. See how high it jumps and how long it stays there. In general this should be under 20% most of the time. If it's running consistently high then you have a process running that you may not know about.

8. Control Panel/System/Advanced tab. Performance Setting s button. Change setting to Best Performance. Click OK and the screen with go to gray scale and back to color. In the Advanced tab on the Performance screen fill the radio buttons for Programs in the top two boxes. In the bottom box the value should be at least 1024.

I'm probably forgetting something(s) but this is a good start.

Have at it.
I'll do the others.

Last edited by taurus430; 05-01-2009 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers