Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 07:13 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,749,840 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have an old dinosaur of a computer--bought my first one at age 38 in late 2000-an i mac 350 with an OS of 9.0 "upgraded" 4 years ago to a 9.2 after the HD went bad. having no computer experience I still hooked the entire thing up on my own and got it working but i gave up on the word applications systems and could never do resumes because what was in the mac manuals never matched what my computer could do. So here at home it was only e mails, web surfing that i did

I have a Dell system at the job and use a microsoft word program as well as a voice activated system but for home i still want a mac

i was in an apple store recently and i looked at the mac book for $999(i think that's the name) which was like a notebook or laptop and the new i mac which is like what my folks have. i don't want a big bulky unit like my i mac 350 but the new i mac still looks slimmer. i thought the mac book may be better for space saving. the new i mac was selling for $1149 and i believe is considered an 'all in one".

can i do resumes on a mac book? that's all i really am interested in adding to my meager repertoire of e's and web surfing

i have a studio apartment and want to start saving space

opinions welcome

thanks

rl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,172,263 times
Notebooks are always more expensive for the same processor power. If you're going to use this machine on the desktop, get a desktop machine and save even more by getting a refurbished unit instead of new. For the uses you mentioned, you would be fine with a refurbished iMac from the previous generation.

Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

Old 02-04-2009, 07:27 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,751,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Hi. I have an old dinosaur of a computer--bought my first one at age 38 in late 2000-an i mac 350 with an OS of 9.0 "upgraded" 4 years ago to a 9.2 after the HD went bad. having no computer experience I still hooked the entire thing up on my own and got it working but i gave up on the word applications systems and could never do resumes because what was in the mac manuals never matched what my computer could do. So here at home it was only e mails, web surfing that i did

I have a Dell system at the job and use a microsoft word program as well as a voice activated system but for home i still want a mac

i was in an apple store recently and i looked at the mac book for $999(i think that's the name) which was like a notebook or laptop and the new i mac which is like what my folks have. i don't want a big bulky unit like my i mac 350 but the new i mac still looks slimmer. i thought the mac book may be better for space saving. the new i mac was selling for $1149 and i believe is considered an 'all in one".

can i do resumes on a mac book? that's all i really am interested in adding to my meager repertoire of e's and web surfing

i have a studio apartment and want to start saving space

opinions welcome

thanks

rl
Unless you are doing heavy gaming or graphics the Macbook will be more than enough. The size is suitable for travel and the multifunction trackpad is easy to use. Set up for a Macbook is easy and there are fewer entire system crashes. The only major negative for some is a glossy screen. You should also consider 'older models' that are still being sold. You can get an unused macbook pro or macbook at a lower cost.

Check out the forums at Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About

I have a Macbook Pro and couldn't be happier. It is one of the best laptops that I have ever bought.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:27 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,595,677 times
Here at home I have an iMac for my business (Realtor) on my desk. Also have a MacBookPro 15". I use both almost everyday. Both of them are refurbished. I take the laptop to my office and with me on business sometimes. They have been reliable.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:59 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,018,167 times
My daughter has a MacBook and really loves it. She uses it for school (we purchased the MS Office software for Mac), and she uses it extensively for internet (MySpace, hulu, etc etc). She's had zero complaints with any facet of it. I'm impressed at how quickly she got the thing up and running, and how she can walk around the house with it using the webcam during messaging sessions to show her 'net friends what our house looks like. Although she does have a mouse, she rarely uses it and doesn't have any problems with the touch pad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers