Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,371,623 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am a new Apple user across the board. I just purchased online a MacBook Air. My contact info telephone number was a cell phone. I never entered my home phone number. Lo and behold, I just got a phone call on my HOME number which I never answer. The only reason I picked up was because I just happened to look at the caller id and it said Apple.

The rep said they were calling to verify that I had placed the order. My first question was "How did you get my home # as I didn't give it?" He said through public records. WT Heck? He then said they do that for SOME orders and it was also triggered because I created a new Apple ID. Perhaps he was nervous because he asked if I purchased a MacBook Pro and when I said no, he corrected to the Air. He hemmed and hawed and practically stammered throughout - raising a red flag for me.

And also, being a hypervigilent type, my first thought was some scheming fraud type person somehow got my home number and was attempting to "run a game" shall we say. But the rep didn't ask for any info, he just wanted confirmation prior to shipment. He said I would be getting another email "soon" which I haven't gotten yet.

Should I rejoice over their uber cautiousness or run screaming due to privacy violations????

So for those who know, do tell if this is common for Apple. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 04:07 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
No sure how that would be a privacy violation. They have your name and address, so finding your landline number is pretty easy (unless you've explicitly removed it from places like White Pages).

I've never had them call to verify like that, but it is nice. Albeit I wonder what would have happened if you never picked up. Would they have delayed the order until they got in touch with you?

Old 04-02-2015, 04:52 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,371,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
No sure how that would be a privacy violation. They have your name and address, so finding your landline number is pretty easy (unless you've explicitly removed it from places like White Pages).

I've never had them call to verify like that, but it is nice. Albeit I wonder what would have happened if you never picked up. Would they have delayed the order until they got in touch with you?
In regards to privacy I am thinking of how I like it quiet as in no home phone ringing with people trying to sell, ask my opinion, etc. That's why I don't give out my home number. I don't want people other than friends or relatives calling me at home - my sanctuary. Appreciate your response.

And, the order has been shipped!!

Old 04-02-2015, 06:03 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
If they did that to me, I'd say, "Sorry, wrong number". (hang up). I would not accept the explanation that they looked it up in public records. Call me on the number I gave you.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
I imagine that the telephone number called to verify a purchase would be the one that matches your credit card. Do you have your home number in your credit card records?

Other than that, what Apple does is to send you a purchase receipt via email, and a shipping notice when the item has been shipped. What you want to do ASAP is to call the Apple store to make sure the call was legit. Have the order number available before you call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers