Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 5,761 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am currently living in Boston, but my boyfriend just recently got stationed at Shaw AFB in Sumter, SC. I am going to be moving down there to live with him soon and we are looking for a nice apartment complex that is in between Shaw and Columbia (because that is most likely where I will be working). We want something in between for gas mileage purposes. Does anyone have any reccomendations as to where I could look? I have been looking at apartment guides online but they havent been very helpful because they will say "23 miles from Shaw" but then I type in the address to google maps and its more like 38 miles and a 45 min drive.

Just a few background things about us, we are in our mid 20's and would defintely like to be close enough to attractions such as shopping, restaurants, bars, etc... but also close enough to his base that his drive wont be painful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:49 PM

843 posts, read 2,749,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1234 View Post
I have been looking at apartment guides online but they havent been very helpful because they will say "23 miles from Shaw" but then I type in the address to google maps and its more like 38 miles and a 45 min drive.
What are some of the addresses? We can probably give you a more realistic/accurate estimate on distances/commute times.

In terms of commute times (not necessarily distance), the Lower Richland area is going to be about mid-way.

Camden-Lugoff might be an option for you, too.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,761 times
I actually was looking at Fox Run Apartments in Camden. I did some mileage calculations and it looks like that complex is about 20miles from Shaw and 30miles from Columbia....does that sound about right? Are there things to do in Camden though? (Restaurants, local bars, shopping, etc...) I know that Sumter has probably more options for what we are looking for, but I just reallllllly do not want to drive all the way to Columbia every day for work when Camden seems at least a little bit closer.

by the way, do you know anything about Fox Run? Is it nice?

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:01 PM

843 posts, read 2,749,591 times
Yes, that's about right. It is 20 minutes from my house (by Shaw on the West side) to the I20/521 interchange in Camden, and I'd say it's probably 30 miles/minutes from Columbia (depending on traffic). You'd only be 20 minutes from Sandhills/NE Cola, though, where the shopping & restaurant options are going to be greater than anything you find in either Camden or Sumter.

I don't know about Fox Run specifically, but I'll try to ask around tomorrow.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,431 times
K1234, where did you end up living, Sumter or Columbia. I am in the same position, my husband will be stationed at Shaw AFB but I will be working in Columbia. Did you find a nice area between the two cities with a reasonable commute?

Old 06-23-2014, 05:14 PM

678 posts, read 801,483 times
If I were any of these people, I would live in the eastern part of forest acres. You're close to I-77, which is close to garner's ferry , which gets you to Sumter. It's worth the little extra commute to live in columbia.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:18 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,139,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
If I were any of these people, I would live in the eastern part of forest acres. You're close to I-77, which is close to garner's ferry , which gets you to Sumter. It's worth the little extra commute to live in columbia.
Except the cost of living in Cola is nearly double of that in Sumter. Then on top of that, add a 40-50 minute commute one way.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:16 PM

678 posts, read 801,483 times
The cost of living in columbia is relatively low, especially compared to Boston where the median home price is close to $300,000 and median incomes not drastically higher than nation's. If they'll be making roughly the same salaries then they'll be in for a treat for cost of living. 40-50 minute commute
May not be so bad for someone coming from a large city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area