Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 04:11 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,701,531 times

Advertisements

Okay, so the Utah forum is lethargic to say the least. Has anyone in the forum ever camped in Canyonlands N.P. or Arches N.P. in Utah? My partner and I are planning a 5-6 day mountain biking/camping trip in late December to either - or both - parks and I'd like to get some personal recommendations if anyone has any. The more remote/primitive, the better, however, we are taking camping equipment, not backpacking equipment, so vehicle access is a must.

I am an avid outdoorsperson and am prepared with winter camping gear in the event we encounter such conditions, so I do not need to be reminded of the season. I am fully aware that it's winter.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 04:20 PM

532 posts, read 1,568,875 times
remote and primative with road access?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:30 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,048,053 times
I have been into some parts of Cynlnds NP. Part of the Maze District may be inaccessible in winter if the Flint Trail is snowed in. It was still closed in March when I went there last year. I'm not sure about the Shafer Trail and White Rim Rd in winter.

Capitol Reef NP has some nice backcountry you can drive into. I'm not sure if the campgrounds there are open in winter.

There is a lot of BLM lands in that area. It should be pretty easy to find a remote campsite.

A Utah Gazetteer map book may be helpful, it shows where public lands are. Can buy it most anywhere.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:31 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,695,631 times
I have camped in the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands NP, and it felt very remote. This was in 1995, so I'm sure some things have changed. However, in Dec. I'm sure most of the campgrounds will feel remote, as most people do not camp in the winter. Have you checked with the parks to be sure the cg's are open that time of year?

You can also camp at many locations right outside Moab and feel remote. I would recommend looking at the areas off of Kane Creek Road. There are several campsites along that road that feel very isolated.

You might try calling the Moab Visitor Center to get more information on what cg's will be open in the winter. Winter is such a beautiful place to visit the desert! You won't have the crowds that spring and fall bring, and a fresh snow on the red rocks is absolutely beautiful!

Old 11-14-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
remote and primative with road access?
Live underground? We're not planning on taking a Camry.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I have been into some parts of Cynlnds NP. Part of the Maze District may be inaccessible in winter if the Flint Trail is snowed in. It was still closed in March when I went there last year. I'm not sure about the Shafer Trail and White Rim Rd in winter.

Capitol Reef NP has some nice backcountry you can drive into. I'm not sure if the campgrounds there are open in winter.

There is a lot of BLM lands in that area. It should be pretty easy to find a remote campsite.

A Utah Gazetteer map book may be helpful, it shows where public lands are. Can buy it most anywhere.
I've done some reading on Capitol Reef and it may be in our plans if there's time. Utah is so beautiful we will definitely be planning future trips back, so if we miss it this time, it'll still be there.

Thanks for the Gazetteer suggestion - I'll look into it this weekend!

Old 11-14-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I have camped in the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands NP, and it felt very remote. This was in 1995, so I'm sure some things have changed. However, in Dec. I'm sure most of the campgrounds will feel remote, as most people do not camp in the winter. Have you checked with the parks to be sure the cg's are open that time of year?

You can also camp at many locations right outside Moab and feel remote. I would recommend looking at the areas off of Kane Creek Road. There are several campsites along that road that feel very isolated.

You might try calling the Moab Visitor Center to get more information on what cg's will be open in the winter. Winter is such a beautiful place to visit the desert! You won't have the crowds that spring and fall bring, and a fresh snow on the red rocks is absolutely beautiful!
The parks and campgrounds are open year-round, naturally weather permitting. The more remote ones may be difficult to access, so we may not find the "ideal" spot, however, as you stated, there shouldn't be swarms of winter visitors so we shouldn't have a problem finding an isolated niche.

Before we actually leave Denver, I do plan on contacting the Moab Visitor's Center to find out about local conditions. We're planning on visiting the area regardless of whether we can camp or not, as we have a deep passion for the area.

I appreciate your great suggestions and will add them to our growing research pile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado