Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 10:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,493,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
The OP would probably be alright in Douglas county if he/she wants to stay near large cities.
I miss Douglas county, miss Parker so much. If I didn't have to take care of my elderly Mom I would move back. Great neighbors, conservative, but not too much, just right.

None of the homeless problems they get a free ride to downtown Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 04:18 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,387,509 times
Yes, strip malls, traffic, anywhere America. Ahh, makes the heart skip a beat!

Old 05-24-2018, 10:08 AM

812 posts, read 1,471,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Colorado was californicated in 1960’s

There is little difference today.

Consider moving overseas.
Interesting suggestion. Not a lot of "advanced" first world societies overseas are likely going to suit the "conservative American" mindset. The "social democracies" of Northern Europe are going to be vastly more irritating and politically correct than even California, though anti-immigrant right-wing fringe groups in Europe are, I suppose, starting to emerge, which might be attractive to the "patriot" "they're all out to get us" survivalist groups that congregate in the US states you mention. Probably going to have to relocate to Russia or Philippines or Iran or maybe one of the African dictatorships to get the type of conservative/traditionalist society without any of that "progressive" influence. Our OP here is not "religious" so Iran is probably not an ideal fit.

Me, I pretty much put up with political $#%^ I utterly despise on a daily basis to live in the country, state, city that provides an otherwise decent quality of life. I think most grown ups do exactly the same thing.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Interesting suggestion. Not a lot of "advanced" first world societies overseas are likely going to suit the "conservative American" mindset. The "social democracies" of Northern Europe are going to be vastly more irritating and politically correct than even California, though anti-immigrant right-wing fringe groups in Europe are, I suppose, starting to emerge, which might be attractive to the "patriot" "they're all out to get us" survivalist groups that congregate in the US states you mention. Probably going to have to relocate to Russia or Philippines or Iran or maybe one of the African dictatorships to get the type of conservative/traditionalist society without any of that "progressive" influence. Our OP here is not "religious" so Iran is probably not an ideal fit.

Me, I pretty much put up with political $#%^ I utterly despise on a daily basis to live in the country, state, city that provides an otherwise decent quality of life. I think most grown ups do exactly the same thing.
True... 99% of generic "Americans" / USA are not gonna be able to hack living overseas, BUT it is an option (as are other places in USA IF you can afford them and tolerate their unique issues.) EVERYWHERE has issues!

but... if you are really grown up (say age 50 or so...)

IN USA, you very likely will need to live overseas to access affordable healthcare prior to age 65

Pre A(?)CA we had 5 very affordable options

post A(?)CA we have none, and like rural Coloradoans $2500+ / month for a high deductable HC policy is pretty common, so

Keep your relocation options open. Certainly won't be as desirable as the privilege of living in USA, BUT, you may have better chances of survival, and possibly a better QoL

Yes, we had it nice in USA, and at a time CO was nice too.

The declaration of "Political Battlefield" only complicated an already caustic situation and an already divided community / state. Really is quite sad, as all of this would be very easy to work out without the hostilities / loss of personal participation in the electorate and policy making. It is highly likely that the USA political process has exceeded it's effective life, and should be tweaked to return effectiveness without the animosity that leads to rebellion that leads to change.

Colorado (today) scares me; where at a time it was home, very comfortable (friendly / congenial), very secure (as a youth).

During HS, we even had our rifles in the back window (gun rack) of our unlocked pickup trucks... Things have changed a bit, possibly not for the better... (for some of us Colorado exiles).

Old 05-24-2018, 06:50 PM

2,680 posts, read 1,384,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadekian View Post
Yup, lawmakers do create laws that happen to affect it's citizens. So many bogus laws and regulations here in California. Also, because defying Trump is mandatory here in California, it's not helpful when the state refuses to work with the federal government. We have some of the highest homelessness in the country. I can't even go down Orange County (wealthy neighborhood) without seeing hundreds (I'm not exaggerating) of tents pitched up along the freeway and against pretty expensive looking apartment buildings. There was a huge complaint about this recently... poor guys are paying $2500 a month for rent to walk outside and be greeted by dozens of homeless people socializing around there tents. Hmm... guess social welfare has become more of a burden than is helping at this point. California is going bankrupt, we can't even afford to pay back bonds from 30 years ago! So now Jerry Brown is trying to start a new project and get more people to buy bonds so they can start paying back guys that bought it 30 years ago. It's not even adjusted well enough for inflation. If you bought a bond 30 years ago, you lost money....

So yes, it's important
But if California living is not in high demand why are rents so high? Isn't that a result of high demand?

Old 05-24-2018, 08:34 PM

1,013 posts, read 979,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Again, you need to state the facts - google is your friend. Illegal residents are permitted to vote in school board elections that affect their children. Nothing more.
https://www.motherjones.com/politics...eep-them-away/

I own a home in California (which was recently purchased) and do NOT pay income tax in the 10 percent range. Income can be derived from taxable and non-taxable sources. And BTW, since this is a CO thread it may be of interest that the state taxes both income and social security. Every state gets their money one way or another.

Lastly, if you can't afford the $438 dollars per year in gas tax and prefer to drive through potholes, crumbling roads and worn out bridges then it's probably time to move.
If you own a home in California with that little income, you are fortunate.

Arizona has probably the best roads in the country with less than half the gas tax.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:42 PM

689 posts, read 974,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
If you own a home in California with that little income, you are fortunate.

Arizona has probably the best roads in the country with less than half the gas tax.
I am fortunate, but who says I have little income? My spouse and I have income from several sources - some of which are tax exempt. It's called strategic planning...

Re Arizona, Tucson has more potholes than sidewalks as do most of the smaller, older communities in AZ. Not buying....but do agree it's dirt cheap to live there if that's what you're after..and the state as a whole is bright red.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:55 AM

11,118 posts, read 7,184,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
But if California living is not in high demand why are rents so high? Isn't that a result of high demand?
I bet they are just used to it; used to paying those high rents. It's one of those attributes that doesn't really retreat, even if the surrounding economics changes.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:45 PM

1,013 posts, read 979,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Building restrictions.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:14 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,573,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Building restrictions.
Thats your answer? Come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado