Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 09:34 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times

Advertisements

Decided to snap a few pics up in Rye after visiting my folks this week. The focus of these pics are trees... the different types up there, the thickness of the brush... the scrub oak, etc. Hope you enjoy some of these;

Greenhorn Creek

Check out the "air" mail box

Looking down the Greenhorn Valley into Colorado City and beyond

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Nice photos, McGowdog. I would make a couple of observations. The photo of Greenhorn Creek shows a relatively natural riparian area at mid-elevation--lots of narrowleaf cottonwood, one of my favorite mountain trees. Those riparian areas are being destroyed by development at an alarming rate in Colorado--tragic, because they make up something like 2% of Colorado's land area, but contain 80% of the state's native animal and plant species, some rare and endangered.

Some of the photos of the Ponderosa forests are disturbing. They show a classic Ponderosa forest where unnatural fire suppression has led to massive tree overcrowding. This is the kind of Ponderosa forest that is ripe for beetle infestation, followed at some point by a savage crown fire. Seeing mailboxes in the middle of that tells me that there are residences nestled into that mess. If I were an insurance underwriter with a functioning brain, I wouldn't issue a fire insurance policy on those places in a hundred years. They are a claim just waiting to happen.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
jazzlover wrote: Some of the photos of the Ponderosa forests are disturbing. They show a classic Ponderosa forest where unnatural fire suppression has led to massive tree overcrowding.

I'm miles away from being an expert on this topic, but just looking at the pictures, I got the same impression. Looks to my eyes....like a fire waiting to happen.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 AM

A lot of those trees were up in the Rye park area, just north of the Bartlett Trailhead. The places with the mailboxes are down from the park amongst some of those areas where the unnatural fire-suppressed PondeBullBoxer31 were.

I gave some of those properties and the thoughts of their owners a real brow-beating and snubbing as I drove by.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:51 PM

Good to see at least a couple of my photo tours has survived.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:58 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
They're all there, in the index....if not let me know...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:04 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,677 times
Quote:
I know this is an older thread, but I really enjoy when folks post photos. It reminds me of how much I still haven’t seen of Colorado.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
They're all there, in the index....if not let me know...
Thanks. No, I mean some of my photos are so old, they came from an old photobucket account I seem to have lost access to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
I know this is an older thread, but I really enjoy when folks post photos. It reminds me of how much I still haven’t seen of Colorado.
Thanks for checking them out. Photos are the most objective description I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
jazzlover wrote: Some of the photos of the Ponderosa forests are disturbing. They show a classic Ponderosa forest where unnatural fire suppression has led to massive tree overcrowding.

I'm miles away from being an expert on this topic, but just looking at the pictures, I got the same impression. Looks to my eyes....like a fire waiting to happen.
Quote:
I gave some of those properties and the thoughts of their owners a real brow-beating and snubbing as I drove by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado