Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 8,778 times

Advertisements

This thing's long; grab a snack, or just scroll down to the bold text, which contains the gist of the post.

To start, I'm kind of an idiot. When I got out of high school everyone said to me, "Go to college now, not later. It'll be more difficult then. Go while you have no responsibilities and ties." However, being omniscient and 18 years old, I decided instead to become a working man. Frankly I do believe my omniscience was malfunctioning at the time.

Fast forward five years. I've got a couple of semesters at a local school, which I eventually dropped out of to (guess what!) go to work full time. A stupid pattern, one I intend to break.

I've been an over-the-road truck driver for a year now for a large refrigerated hauling firm. These companies are dangerous, and I didn't heed the advice given by others in choosing such a company. The pay is meager, the hours insanely long. I'm away from home for a minimum of perhaps 5 weeks at a time. I lack the capitol to buy a truck, and don't want to marry that truck, anyway, and end up some overweight habitual tobacco chewer with 8 teeth who goes by "Bubba" by the time I'm 30.

I now owe them some 4,500 dollars because I went to their driving academy on a loan with an 18% interest rate (ouch!) as I have zero credit. This I'm working on paying back early, because in so doing I can get around much of that interest. When I pay this off, which I plan to do very quickly by using my tax refund, I'm going back to school, and I'm sticking with it until I'm done. I'm through screwing around. I also owe some 1,300 in private debt, which I'm also going to pay off very quickly so I can go back to school without it hanging over my head.

Okay, background out of the way, the reason I'm posting this is to seek a little advice regarding my goal of getting back into college and getting my bachelor's in English. I intend to teach high school English. I know, I know, there's no money in that, but money has never been my goal. I love English and I'm always told I'm good with people and would make a great teacher. For once I want to follow the advice of those close to me.

To get to the point, my fiance and I both want to attend a certain local school starting in the Spring of '09. She has a 4-year-old son, and my brother (who's graduating from U.T. Austin in May with a bachelor's degree in Philosophy, the first person in my direct family to graduate, as far as we know) tells me we can count on a pretty large amount of financial aid because of this. I know I'll receive some, as well, but have no clue how much. When I went years ago I got much more than I needed, but I was younger then.

I keep trying to get to the point, but I'm very wordy; I'm sorry.

My first question is simply this: is it plausible for both of us (my fiance and I) to go to this small, inexpensive community school full time without working full time as well, depending largely on financial aid? Last time I tried doing both I was overworked and ended up dropping out, as I said. I'm willing to work, of course, but I know from experience that doing both full time doesn't work for me and my performance at both declines. I envy those who can juggle these things better.

Might it be a better idea to go to school full time without working and make up the difference by taking out a small student loan? Will this rack up so much debt that it'll hurt me a lot later? It wouldn't require much, to be honest; the area I'm talking about has extremely low living costs, the school is embarrassingly cheap, and we drive a gas-sipping late model Kia. It wouldn't take much of a loan to get us by.

Also, can anyone give general advice regarding said loans? Private versus federal, a particular type of loan or specific lender you know to be good, how much am I likely to be able to borrow given my near-total lack of credit, what kind of interest rates can I expect, how long before I have creditors coming out of the woodwork, this sort of thing.

It seems likely that much of this information already exists in one place, but I've spent a lot of time browsing around and have yet to find it. If anyone with experience in these matters can just give me a little bit of advice I'd really love it, or even point me in the right direction with a link or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 03:06 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,251,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Badger View Post
My first question is simply this: is it plausible for both of us (my fiance and I) to go to this small, inexpensive community school full time without working full time as well, depending largely on financial aid? Last time I tried doing both I was overworked and ended up dropping out, as I said. I'm willing to work, of course, but I know from experience that doing both full time doesn't work for me and my performance at both declines. I envy those who can juggle these things better.

Might it be a better idea to go to school full time without working and make up the difference by taking out a small student loan? Will this rack up so much debt that it'll hurt me a lot later? It wouldn't require much, to be honest; the area I'm talking about has extremely low living costs, the school is embarrassingly cheap, and we drive a gas-sipping late model Kia. It wouldn't take much of a loan to get us by.

Also, can anyone give general advice regarding said loans? Private versus federal, a particular type of loan or specific lender you know to be good, how much am I likely to be able to borrow given my near-total lack of credit, what kind of interest rates can I expect, how long before I have creditors coming out of the woodwork, this sort of thing.

It seems likely that much of this information already exists in one place, but I've spent a lot of time browsing around and have yet to find it. If anyone with experience in these matters can just give me a little bit of advice I'd really love it, or even point me in the right direction with a link or two.
First thing, apply for financial aid ASAP. You may have already missed the priority deadline, but it is never too late (well, yeah it can be too late...). Go to fasfa.gov or just google fasfa. Financial aid is on a first come, first serve basis, so you better hurry. Although you can take out a loan any time (still need to fill out fafsa, though).

Now:

It is plausible to attend a CC, or any college, without working full time. The GF and I are doing it, but-and this may be the catch as to why we are able to pull this off-we do not have; a mortgage, car payments, children, large pets, or cable. We also only have three credit cards with a total credit limit of $1000 for all three cards. So, basically, we can do it because we do not have a ton of bills to pay each month.

A couple of years ago I tried to go to school full time, on top of working full time. I only managed two semesters before I dropped out. It was too stressful and I lost a lot of hair (well, it could be from age ). Just couldn't do it. Back then I wanted the immediate gratification of a nice paycheck and put school on the back burner. Now, school is my top priority and I'll forgo working all together if it gets in the way of college now (although the GF will NOT like that ). I am getting too old. I am too old to still be working entry level positions. I am too old to be stuck in a job, that while it may be thoroughly enjoyable, the reality is that I will never go anywhere beyond my current position. I know quite well that there are people twenty, thirty years older then I who are going back to school, or school for the first time, so I am glad that I finally decided to do it now. Sometimes I get depressed (not suicidal, just down) when I think about how old I will be when I graduate. Then I realize, that when it happens-at that age-it will be the one of the best things that I done for myself.

Realistically, you will probably have to take out a student loan. Not sure what you think of as small, but a CC will probably put a cap on it at around $5000. You might be able to do more, but I doubt it. You don't need good credit to take out a student loan. You don't need any credit. All you need to do is fill out the fafsa and then they will tell you how much you qualify to take out. You have six months after you graduate, or leave school before you start paying them off. You do have the option to begin paying them off, or at a minimum just the interest that is accruing on them while you are still in school. The laws regarding creditors and how they can collect on their debts varies state by state. But, it is sort of assumed that a student loan will go into default and you can get them differed pretty easily. But, regardless, it will probably take one to two years of you not paying anything before they will "come after you". I wouldn't recommend deliberately doing so, though, since they are fairly easy to differ. I have a friend who ended up in court over a defaulted loan and now she is really in over her head as she now has a lawyers fee to pay off (she lost). Then again, I have another friend who basically ignores any attempt to collect on her loan and I don't think anyone has come after her yet; it's been over five years.

When you receive your financial aid award letter, it will list what type of loan is available to you. It will either be a Stafford (un)subsidized loan, or a Perkins loan. You will also receive a list of lenders in your area who you will actually do the loan with, along with information regarding each lenders rates, fees and other info to help you choose.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:37 PM

First of all thank you for the quick and thorough reply.

I'm aware of the need to fill out the FAFSA very quickly, but I left my W2 back in Texas, and I'm in Pennsylvania...suffice it to say that I'll be taking some home time VERY soon (within a week) to file my taxes and apply for financial aid. I've done this before, so I know how it is. It may be that it's best for me to wait until the fall semester of '09; if this is the case, great, that'll just give me more time to work, save money, and find myself a decent part-time job before we enroll. It won't hurt anything.

We also live rather frugally. We have no credit cards, no debt aside from the aforementioned ones, one smallish (250/month) car payment, and can do without most amenities except perhaps internet, which is of course inexpensive. We use few cell phone minutes and could drop that bill even more if necessary by cutting extraneous features.

The area we live, if you're shrewd, is very very cheap to live. You could conceivably rent a 2 bedroom apartment and pay for all utilities plus food for little more than a thousand a month. From what I'm hearing my dream of getting my dumb ass back in school is quite attainable.

I posted a similar thread on another forum, and between what you've told me and what the other posters have said, my questions are thoroughly answered. I really appreciate you taking the time to read and reply, and I'm sorry if I asked questions whose answers are readily available elsewhere. As I said, I couldn't find such information.

Out of curiosity, how old <b>are</b> you? I'm 23, and feel ancient to be returning to college as a second year student, but I don't feel that bad. My parents never got degrees, and for endless generations back my family members have been largely uneducated. I'm ready to help break that streak.

Again, thank you for information and the hope.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:22 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,251,985 times
Well, if you feel ancient at 23, then I must be pre-historic or something. Eh, I'll just say that I saw The Empire Strikes Back in the theater the first time around. Maybe even saw Star Wars as well. To make things easier, I am a Gen-Xer.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:56 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,711,309 times
Gosh, 23 is not old at all...get back in school and just suck it up and finish! Now that you have your priorities in order you will do well. Make sure and sit up front, get to know the instructors/professors, do the extra credit work, and study like your life depended on it because it does! FYI, I do have an English degree and you do not want to know what I am doing with it but the fact that you want to teach, well, that is totally different. Good luck!!!!!!!!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:03 PM

Hahaha, 10-4 on that, I guess 23 isn't so bad. But it still bothers me, you know. I could have my degree right now and be teaching or pursuing grad school, but instead I'm blue collar and getting nowhere. But I'm optimistic and yes, I plan to work hard at it. Doing what I do now has taught me a lot about life, and I'm ready to turn my considerable energies on what I really want to do.

I failed to mention that I'm a writer as well, and that studying English will hopefully help me in that. What better degree for a fiction writer?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:14 PM

122 posts, read 365,743 times
Hello and CONGRATULATIONS on picking a career not based on money but on something that will challenge you and reward you. I mean how cool is it to say " I am a teacher"

I am 34, married 9 years (together since 16 y.o.) with 3 year old and 8 year old in ca. My husband and i finally got to the point where we realized that although for all of this time I have been able to stay home with our kids, as they get older, they will need more and I will want to fulfll myself by working.

So after some thinking, I decided to start college again at my age! I am a liberal Arts major BA, I want to teach single subject science. My sis teaches high school english in France. Dad was a professor at Cambridge in Scotland for English lit.
Well the turning point was that I realized I am smart, probably smarter than some, less than others but I have a passion for science, earth science, nature, conservation etc.

I was lucky to get into a private program where I take classes at night and each class meets once a week for 10 weeks, then done. You take 2 classes at a time.
So as far as student loans, yes you will be taking them out. Do not worry so much, I look at it like any other bill when I am through, like a loan. Just fill out your FAFSA and it will tell you what you qualify for. Now books and housing are ususally out of pocket. It is not probable that you will both be able to stay at home, it would be nice.

Above all, do not feel like you're old, I could quote 10 people, to sum it up education is paramount, just because our society puts money and all material possessions above it doesn't make it less important.

You will need the internet, forget about scrapping that expense. With a 4 year old, yoou will need time to do work without distractions and not ignore him/her, take turns or look into campus preschool. If you are low income some states have free preschool.

Hope this helps and I wish you all the luck Hey we need truck drivers but YOU need to be a teacher and everybody needs great teachers. ciao from california

Old 04-01-2008, 02:12 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,354,504 times
Quote:
Hahaha, 10-4 on that, I guess 23 isn't so bad. But it still bothers me, you know. I could have my degree right now and be teaching or pursuing grad school, but instead I'm blue collar and getting nowhere. But I'm optimistic and yes, I plan to work hard at it. Doing what I do now has taught me a lot about life, and I'm ready to turn my considerable energies on what I really want to do.

I failed to mention that I'm a writer as well, and that studying English will hopefully help me in that. What better degree for a fiction writer?
WOW, you sound a LOT like me!!! I'm 23 and just went back to school this past fall. it does feel weird, being a freshman at an age when most of your friends have undergrad degrees and are probably already in grad school (it's a fact folks in my family never fail to point out to me; I was supposed to be the first in my family to graduate from college, now I'll be lucky if I'm the 4th). of course, as soon as I got into school, I saw that there were students there a lot older than me that adjusted quite well, so I just shrugged off any doubts. better to finish then to have never started.

right now, I'm a PT fiction writing major (I contemplated majoring in English, but the school I'm at now offers BFA in this major, so couldn't pass that up, even if it meant moving 1K miles away from home). I also work FT in retail, though I might switch these two if I go FT at school this fall. I'm in no major rush to finish school, just gave myself a loose deadline of graduating by the time I'm 30. its far more important for me to do well then to finish w/in a certain time frame. however, I'm planning on taking out a small loan to go FT this fall, if only b/c there's more scholarships and grants available for FT students, as opposed to PT (there were 3 scholarships that I would have qualified for except for the fact I'm a PT student now. in the end, taking out a loan may be worth it if I can snag these better scholarships).

90% of the people in my family have given me the 3rd degree about my choice of major. in my culture, the smart kids became doctors, nurses, business owners, lawyers, even teachers (though preferably not English teachers). no one in my family thinks any adult could make a living reading and writing ("reading and writing is a nice hobby, but not a career", they'd say). I wasted almost 2 years of my life (and a lot of money) bouncing from pre-veterinary (another major my family disapproved of, though I reminded them that it was technically a medical field), to pre-med, to nursing (love science, DESPISE math, so I had trouble w/ these majors). finally, I realized the only way I was going to survive college and be happy w/ my life after college was to pick a major I wanted to do, not a major my dad/aunt/sisters/whatever wanted me to do.

anyways, I'm blabbing away too much. don't let doubts about your age, major, or finances deter you from doing this. your age matter not, your major should be whatever makes you happy, and finances, well, you'll manage it if you keep your eyes open for opportunities (since you plan on going into teaching, keep your eyes open for any programs that will pay off some of your loans for teaching in certain districts or any gov't grants for prospective teachers). just be careful w/ the loans (esp. the private ones) and don't take out more than you need (I was reading on another forum about people who took out close to $100K in private loans for a BA and to pay for living expenses, only to discover there were no jobs available. here's hoping the times will be better by the time we graduate!)

Old 04-01-2008, 06:37 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times
Quote:
I'm 23, and feel ancient to be returning to college as a second year student, but I don't feel that bad.
You feel ANCIENT at 23????? I am 42 and I am junior. It is not easy but it can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities