Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 08:20 PM

529 posts, read 372,750 times

Advertisements

We are 4 weeks in and I thought it'd be nice to highlight games that look to be "big games" coming up in October.

Obviously as the weeks go by, some of these, especially near the end of the month, may not be big anymore.

Week 5
West Virginia @ Oklahoma - WV has yet to lose and has put up 40+, winning by at least 24 in all 3 so far.

Iowa @ Wisconsin - Iowa is unbeaten, but I expect the Badgers to take care of them pretty handily.

Alabama @ Georgia - Alabama needs to avoid turnovers and mistakes, but even if they do Georgia is likely to beat them.

Baylor @ Texas Tech - After a tough loss to TCU, can the Raiders put it behind them and challenge Baylor?

Kansas St. @ Oklahoma St. - Two teams yet to lose. Only one can emerge still unbeaten.

Ole Miss @ Florida - Two 4-0 teams collide. Ole Miss struggled at Vandy, while Florida pulled out a come-from-behind victory over Tennessee.

Mississippi St. @ Texas A&M - This is a must win game for Mississippi St. and A&M struggled against Arkansas.

Arizona St. @ UCLA - Arizona St. will find themselves out of contention if they can't figure out a way to pull off an unlikely upset.

Notre Dame @ Clemson - Two top 12 teams square off. Can ND beat Clemson with so many starters injured?

Arizona @ Stanford - After a week one loss, Stanford seems to have righted the ship. Arizona will need to put last week's beat down behind them or they will quickly find themselves out of contention in a pretty stacked Pac-12 South.

Week 6
Miami, FL @ Florida St. - Both teams should come into this game unbeaten.

Oklahoma St. @ West Virginia - Both could be unbeaten coming in, but I expect at least one, if not both to
have lost in week 5. Leaving this game with two losses will make it an uphill battle for any playoff hopes.

Northwestern @ Michigan - Michigan is definitely looking up, especially since their only loss was away @ a very strong Utah. This game should feature two top 20 teams.

California @ Utah - Both teams should be unbeaten coming in, though I don't think Cal is in the same class as the Utes.

Week 7

UCLA @ Stanford - Two teams that should come in leading their respective divisions.

Oklahoma @ Kansas St. - Both teams could come in unbeaten.

Florida @ LSU - Depending on how the Week 5 match ups go, this could be a must win game for the Gators.

Michigan St. @ Michigan - Should be a really good game, considering the Pac-10 performances of the teams these two played in week 1.

Iowa @ Northwestern - If Iowa stuns Wisconsin, this could be a game featuring two undefeated teams.

Texas A&M @ Alabama - Another game that depending on Week 5 results, could be very important in determining the West crown. Or... not so much.

West Virginia @ Baylor - West Virginia probably has at least one loss, and maybe 2 by the time this game comes around, but if they can pull off the upset in Week 5 they could come into Waco unbeaten.

USC @ Notre Dame - If both teams play well over the next two weeks, this will be a match up of two top 12, or at worst top 15 teams.

Week 8

California @ UCLA - The Golden Bears should come in with only one loss, and possibly still in the top 25.

Texas Tech @ Oklahoma - This is one of those games that may not be a "big game" by week 8. Still, if Oklahoma gets by WVA and K St., they'll be a top 10 unbeaten team and Texas Tech is always an upset threat with that offense.

Texas A&M @ Ole Miss - Another game that may not deserve to be here in a few weeks. If A&M can regroup and beat Miss St. and Alabama, this could be a battle of unbeaten teams.

Utah @ USC - This game will go a long way in determining who wins the Pac-12 South.

Clemson @ Miami, FL - Both are unbeaten at this time, but in 3 weeks could each have a loss. Barring any other upsets, this should still feature two top 25 teams.

Week 9

West Virginia @ TCU - West Virginia could be well out of it by Week 9, but they also have a chance to come in undefeated. If that's the case, they will have already beaten Oklahoma and Baylor, and this game could determine the Big 12 title.

Oregon @ Arizona St. - If Oregon can get it together and Arizona St. pulls off the upset in Week 5, the winner of this game still has a shot at the winning their division.

USC @ California - Likely Cal is not in the picture by this time, but if they pull off the two upsets this could be a huge game.

Syracuse @ Florida St. - The Orangemen are facing USF, VA and Pitt over the next 4 weeks and if they can play decent outside of NY, will likely roll into Tallahassee with only one loss.

Miami, FL @ Duke - Duke has just the one loss to Northwestern, a top 20 team at this time. They play BC, Army and Va Tech between now and week 9. If all goes well this game could decide the Coastal.

Clemson @ NC State - NC State hasn't played anybody yet, and I expect this game to not belong here by week 9, but as of today I can't write off a match-up of two currently unbeaten teams.

Oklahoma St. @ Texas Tech - Another game I don't expect to be to important in another 4 weeks, but if these two can pull off some upsets, this game will be pretty big.

Georgia @ Florida - As of today these two are the only unbeaten teams in the SEC East. If Florida manages a couple of upsets, this game will feature two top 10 teams. I fully expect Florida to have a couple losses by the time Georgia shows up in Gainesville, but this game still might determine the East.

Last edited by waltergulick; 09-28-2015 at 08:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 08:07 AM

7,628 posts, read 6,170,461 times
Week 5 North Texas travels to Southern Missisiipi and gets beat for a fourth straight loss.
Week 6 North Texas returns home and loses to a lower division "Powderpuf" game against Portland State
Week 7 The Hilltoppers of Western Kentucky throw everything from the banjo to the outhouse at the not so mean green and beat them 56-0
week 8 WE ARE MARSHALL bum de dum bum bum dum dum ! Beats the not at all mean green sending them to 0-7
Week 9 In the CRUMMY GAME OF THE WEEK, UTSA Edges out North Texas for the second year in a row.
Week 10
I start threatening to cut off all donations to the alma mater unless the AD And coach are fired by seasons end.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
Week 5
West Virginia @ Oklahoma - WV has yet to lose and has put up 40+, winning by at least 24 in all 3 so far.

Not so vs. Oklahoma. Mountaineers lose by 20, and look like they will struggle against all the teams coming up the rest of the month. They could realistically lose them all.

Iowa @ Wisconsin - Iowa is unbeaten, but I expect the Badgers to take care of them pretty handily.

Close game, but Iowa proves me quite wrong.

Alabama @ Georgia - Alabama needs to avoid turnovers and mistakes, but even if they do Georgia is likely to beat them.

Another game that made my prediction look asinine at best.

Baylor @ Texas Tech - After a tough loss to TCU, can the Raiders put it behind them and challenge Baylor?

Not even close. Baylor made the case that while TCU barely escaped TT (in a game where whoever had the ball last had the advantage), The Bears almost double up TT.

Kansas St. @ Oklahoma St. - Two teams yet to lose. Only one can emerge still unbeaten.

OK St wins in a close one.

Ole Miss @ Florida - Two 4-0 teams collide. Ole Miss struggled at Vandy, while Florida pulled out a come-from-behind victory over Tennessee.

Florida's d looks pretty stout. Ole Miss was exposed big time.

Mississippi St. @ Texas A&M - This is a must win game for Mississippi St. and A&M struggled against Arkansas.

A&M still unbeaten. Looking like the best passing team in the West.

Arizona St. @ UCLA - Arizona St. will find themselves out of contention if they can't figure out a way to pull off an unlikely upset.

Unlikely as it was, The Sun Devils knew this was a must win game and played like it.

Notre Dame @ Clemson - Two top 12 teams square off. Can ND beat Clemson with so many starters injured?

No they could not. They gave it quite the college try in the 4th Q, but ultimately Clemson gets the W.

Arizona @ Stanford - After a week one loss, Stanford seems to have righted the ship. Arizona will need to put last week's beat down behind them or they will quickly find themselves out of contention in a pretty stacked Pac-12 South.

Stanford pounded the Wildcats, essentially ending any chance Arizona may have had at a South title.

Week 6

Woulda shoulda coulda. While the Hurricanes always seem to rise up for an in-state rival, looks like they will be in over their head.

Oklahoma St. @ West Virginia - Both could be unbeaten coming in, but I expect at least one, if not both to
have lost in week 5. Leaving this game with two losses will make it an uphill battle for any playoff hopes.

After the loss to Oklahoma, I wonder how the Mountaineers will rebound? Are they still the 4th best team in the Big 12? We shall find out on Saturday.

Northwestern @ Michigan - Michigan is definitely looking up, especially since their only loss was away @ a very strong Utah. This game should feature two top 20 teams.

This looks to be the best game of the week now. Michigan hasn't allowed a score in over 9 quarters now.

California @ Utah - Both teams should be unbeaten coming in, though I don't think Cal is in the same class as the Utes.

Cal struggled a bit, but still comes in 5-0. I stand by my "not in the same class" comment.

Week 7

UCLA @ Stanford - Two teams that should come in leading their respective divisions.

Well UCLA is no longer in the driver's seat. Can they stay in contention and beat a pretty strong Cardinal team?

But Kan St lost a close one to OK St. If they lose this game, and they probably will, they are pretty much out of contention.

Florida @ LSU - Depending on how the Week 5 match ups go, this could be a must win game for the Gators.

Now this game is VERY interesting. Florida's D vs. Fournette. If Florida can stop him, I am pretty sure Harris won't be able to win it for the Bayou Bengals.

Michigan St. @ Michigan - Should be a really good game, considering the Pac-10 performances of the teams these two played in week 1.

Depending on how well Michigan plays against Northwestern, and the fact that the Spartans have struggled as of late, this might be a big upset in the making.

Iowa @ Northwestern - If Iowa stuns Wisconsin, this could be a game featuring two undefeated teams.

If NW can take care of business at Michigan this will be a very big game indeed.

Texas A&M @ Alabama - Another game that depending on Week 5 results, could be very important in determining the West crown. Or... not so much.

Looking like this game could be pretty huge in the West now.

West Virginia @ Baylor - West Virginia probably has at least one loss, and maybe 2 by the time this game comes around, but if they can pull off the upset in Week 5 they could come into Waco unbeaten.

They did not, and might fade pretty quickly if they can't rebound vs. OK St.

USC @ Notre Dame - If both teams play well over the next two weeks, this will be a match up of two top 12, or at worst top 15 teams.

Even with the ND loss at Clemson, I still think both teams will be top 15.

Week 8

California @ UCLA - The Golden Bears should come in with only one loss, and possibly still in the top 25.

Texas Tech @ Oklahoma - This is one of those games that may not be a "big game" by week 8. Still, if Oklahoma gets by WVA and K St., they'll be a top 10 unbeaten team and Texas Tech is always an upset threat with that offense.

Looking forward to this game since we've seen TCU and Baylor handle TT. How will the Sooners fare?

Texas A&M @ Ole Miss - Another game that may not deserve to be here in a few weeks. If A&M can regroup and beat Miss St. and Alabama, this could be a battle of unbeaten teams.

Looking like the reason this may not belong might be on the Ole Miss side...

Utah @ USC - This game will go a long way in determining who wins the Pac-12 South.

Looks to still be the case

Clemson @ Miami, FL - Both are unbeaten at this time, but in 3 weeks could each have a loss. Barring any other upsets, this should still feature two top 25 teams.

Miami will not be ranked and this game will likely drop the "Big Game" tag.

ADDED -

Indiana @ Michigan St. - Indiana gave the Buckeyes all they wanted and then some. Sparty better not sleep on them.

Week 9

West Virginia @ TCU - West Virginia could be well out of it by Week 9, but they also have a chance to come in undefeated. If that's the case, they will have already beaten Oklahoma and Baylor, and this game could determine the Big 12 title.

Didn't happen. The big question now is going to be can TCU thump them as bad as Baylor will?

Oregon @ Arizona St. - If Oregon can get it together and Arizona St. pulls off the upset in Week 5, the winner of this game still has a shot at the winning their division.

So far so good for this to hold true, at least after the first weekend of OCT.

USC @ California - Likely Cal is not in the picture by this time, but if they pull off the two upsets this could be a huge game.

Probably not, but time will tell.

Syracuse @ Florida St. - The Orangemen are facing USF, VA and Pitt over the next 4 weeks and if they can play decent outside of NY, will likely roll into Tallahassee with only one loss.

Miami, FL @ Duke - Duke has just the one loss to Northwestern, a top 20 team at this time. They play BC, Army and Va Tech between now and week 9. If all goes well this game could decide the Coastal.

Clemson @ NC State - NC State hasn't played anybody yet, and I expect this game to not belong here by week 9, but as of today I can't write off a match-up of two currently unbeaten teams.

This game will be dropped. NC State lost at home to Louisville, and I expect them to lose at least one more prior to this game.

Oklahoma St. @ Texas Tech - Another game I don't expect to be to important in another 4 weeks, but if these two can pull off some upsets, this game will be pretty big.

Georgia @ Florida - As of today these two are the only unbeaten teams in the SEC East. If Florida manages a couple of upsets, this game will feature two top 10 teams. I fully expect Florida to have a couple losses by the time Georgia shows up in Gainesville, but this game still might determine the East.

Two teams making me look silly. Florida now all alone atop the East and the big question is how will Georgia rebound after getting throttled at home? They have to travel to Tennessee week 6.
Indiana @ Michigan State was added to Week 8. They have Penn St. and Rutgers to get through and likely come into E. Lansing with only one loss. OR they may be spent after that tough loss to Ohio State.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
We are 4 weeks in and I thought it'd be nice to highlight games that look to be "big games" coming up in October.

Obviously as the weeks go by, some of these, especially near the end of the month, may not be big anymore.

Week 6

Miami did show up and give FSU a decent game. Still they are likely not getting back in the mix again this season.

Mountaineers played tough, but still drop their 2nd in a row. This leaves OK State as the last undefeated that could challenge the two-headed monster that is Baylor/TCU.

Smackdown. Michigan looking like the team to challenge Ohio St.

Cal hangs tough, only loses by 6. Very respectable and proves my "Not in the same class" comment unwarranted.

Week 7

Tough one to call here. I'm leaning Cardinal since they will be @ home, but UCLA is going to be fired up after that loss.

Instead, neither does. Kansas St gave TCU all they could handle, while Oklahoma was embarrassed by Texas. Can Bill Snyder's crew finish a game after losing two very tough and close games in a row?

Two unbeatens coming in and both atop their respective divisions. This game should show if Florida's defense is as good as they think it is, and if Brandon Harris can win a game with his arm. He looked pretty good the last two weeks, and especially against SC.

I am calling the Wolverines in this one. They look better and better each week, while Sparty has been sluggish.

Surprisingly Iowa is the undefeated coming in. NW better put that smack-down behind them quickly if they want to have a chance against a pretty feisty Hawkeye bunch.

This game is huge. A&M is tied with LSU for the West lead, but Bama could jump ahead of the Aggies with a victory here. A&M is the best passing team Bama will have faced so far.

With two close losses in a row, things don't get any easier for WV. I would imagine they will be throttled by Baylor, and essentially find themselves out of the picture for good.

Well ND held up their end, even with a close loss to Clemson. USC is reeling and is unlikely to give the Irish much of a challenge.

Week 8

As tight of a game as Cal gave Utah, this might prove very interesting. Both teams have only one loss after week 6.

Like the Sooners, I overlooked the Red River Shootout. They better shake that off or Tech could also surprise them.

I predict Alabama beats A&M in week 7, so this game will likely feature two one loss teams hoping to maintain an outside shot. Ole Miss, if they can win out, will hold the tiebreaker over everyone in the West.

Evidently, it will do nothing of the sort.

Be surprised if Miami finds itself back in the top 25 any time this season. This game probably shouldn't be on the list any longer.

Week 9

Probably will drop this game from the list as well, as I don't see WV upsetting Baylor in Waco, and will be at best a mediocre 5-3 coming in.

Oregon is imploding and this game will likely be dropped as well.

Instead it looks like USC is out of the picture.

The Orange got beat down pretty handily in week 6 by USF, who had but one win prior to that game...

While Duke is still looking solid, Miami is not.

NC State lost to Va Tech, and will lose at least one more before this game.

Still looking like a solid game. Tech has but the two losses to Baylor and TCU, while OK St has yet to lose.

The Bulldogs will be big LSU fans during week 7, and if LSU can deal the Gators a loss this game could still see Georgia taking the East.

Quote:
Indiana @ Michigan State was added to Week 8. They have Penn St. and Rutgers to get through and likely come into E. Lansing with only one loss. OR they may be spent after that tough loss to Ohio State.
The Hoosiers look like they may have spent it all against Ohio State. If they can't get over it, this game will probably be dropped as fast as it was added.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:06 PM

Week 8

As tight of a game as Cal gave Utah, this might prove very interesting. Both teams have only one loss after week 6.
UCLA lost 2 of their last 3. Cal's last game had them losing a close one at Utah. Cal needs this win if they are to keep alive any hopes for the North crown.

Like the Sooners, I overlooked the Red River Shootout. They better shake that off or Tech could also surprise them.
Oklahoma put the smackdown on Kansas St. The Red Raiders begin a tough 4 game stretch still needing to win 2 more to become bowl eligible.

I predict Alabama beats A&M in week 7, so this game will likely feature two one loss teams hoping to maintain an outside shot. Ole Miss, if they can win out, will hold the tiebreaker over everyone in the West. While Ole Miss got schooled by Memphis, they still have only one SEC loss and control their own destiny in the West.

Evidently, it will do nothing of the sort.

Going into the week USC opens as the favorite after giving ND a very good game. Utah better come correct.

Be surprised if Miami finds itself back in the top 25 any time this season. This game probably shouldn't be on the list any longer, but if Miami can pull off the upset, they have a pretty soft remainder of the season.

Week 9

Probably will drop this game from the list as well, as I don't see WV upsetting Baylor in Waco, and will be at best a mediocre 5-3 coming in.

TCU struggling a bit, and will need this game to keep pace with Baylor who rolled WVA in week 7. WVA will be VERY happy to see October coming to a close.

Instead it looks like USC is out of the picture.

Still keeping it in here because if USC surprises Utah this game will still be pretty important.

While Duke is still looking solid, Miami is not. Both teams win their week 7 match up and keep hope alive.

Still looking like a solid game. Tech has but the two losses to Baylor and TCU, while OK St has yet to lose.

The Bulldogs will be big LSU fans during week 7, and if LSU can deal the Gators a loss this game could still see Georgia taking the East.

Despite losing to Tennessee, Georgia is still not out of it. Expect Tennessee to lose to Alabama, dropping them to three SEC losses. If Georgia beats the gators here and doesn't have any more slip ups, they'll bot have two conference losses and Georgia will hold the H2H tiebreaker...

ADDED:

Temple @ Notre Dame - Temple is still unbeaten and now ranked. If they take care of business against ECU, this will be a big game.

UNC @ Pitt - Each has only lost once so far.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:09 PM

I'll also add Stanford @ Wazzou, since if Wazzou wins they'll be the leader in the North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football