Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 AM

6,358 posts, read 8,907,245 times

Advertisements

there is some overlap in this discussion i'm starting with other things I've said, but I'm hoping enough of what I suggest here is a different twist on what I've written before.

I hate the notion of expanding footprints in college conferences, of the insane notion of overlapping jurisdiction and the fight to get into markets near and far from your base.

I think the old bases were great. And the competition that the current system generates is insane. College sports have become like MLB where the notion of major markets and the edge of population are what matters. MLB elevates the Yankees over the small markets of Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, etc.

Not so in the democratic NFL. Here revenue sharing is the norm and all franchises have a chance. Green Bay can get rich in the NFL. Even if you increased its population 5 fold, it would have a hard time making it in MLB.

So why not throw out the idiocy of footprints and market money in college sports and come up with a revenue sharing plan that works.

and since you can't really compare conferences to each other (they play only a few non-conference games, those early in the season so the play is somewhat comparable to what the NFL goes through in its exhibition games), and far too many games are played against cup cake schools that do not feature 2 schools of BCS conferences in the same game, the only thing that, IMHO, is to award end of the year tournament slots to conference champions, for they are the ones who have earned it.

This would be easy if you could divide the US into 8 major conferences. It could be done (and, yes, I have offered this idea before)

East Coast: allow the Big East to get back members from the northeast to the ACC and also allow it to get Penn State back from the Big Ten.

South Atlantic: ACC goes back to its original footprint and covers the region from Maryland to Florida (with some overlap with the SEC)

Mid South: the SEC's old footprint covers this well

Midwest/Great Lakes: well served by the Big Ten's original footprint; ND goes here.

Great Plains: Resurrect the old Big Eight

Southwest: Resurrect the old SWC

Rocky Mountains: Choose the best of the MVC and WAC

West Coast: the old Pac 10 schools, spinning off recent arrivals Utah and CU

8 teams, all conference winners, all winning where it counts, in conference games, get into the tournament. no formulas, no subjective voting.....cut and dry and earned.

8 teams go into 4 new years bowl games (with traditional set ups like B10-Pac 12 in the Rose) and on to 2 semi-finals and a championship.

and in the process, get rid of the stupid notion of expanding footprints and actually represent your region and celebrate all the local rivalries in it.

Last edited by edsg25; 09-16-2012 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,913,488 times
South Atlantic & mid south...

Im not belittling your post but these terms are just funny, I'm sorry.

Back to your post... Sounds like you favor Segregation? it reads like something that the Confederate Army would have said... Just saying...

Old 09-16-2012, 11:42 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,537,710 times
It's not happenieng, so why mention it? If you want to pay conference exit fees and arrange this, I'll watch. Anyway, there is no union, no CBA or any of that other stuff to make this happen.

If Savannah State wants $400k to get beat 84-0 and 55-0 to keep their athletics program alive, so be it. If ULM wants to get paid to beat Arky, well, it happens.

I don't like realignment, either, but that's what playing NCAA '08 is for in my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football