Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 06:19 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,900 times

Advertisements

Has anybody looked at the schedule?

I am a huge College Football fan but the schedule and bowl system is killing the game. I understand the concept that each bowl participant gets paid but I can't believe the Nielson rating are strong enough to support the NCAA who managed to push this so far out...into almost mid Jan. The schedule is spread so thin that it will be hard to remember when the season ends. Those commercial reminders better be good. I don't remember past years schedules but I am sure that its basically a replica. Watching games on consecutive Mon and Tuesday, well into January is getting ridiculous and hurting the game's performance. We have to compress the schedule? Even more, dump the bowl system!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 07:02 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post

I am a huge College Football fan but the schedule and bowl system is killing the game. I understand the concept that each bowl participant gets paid but I can't believe the Nielson rating are strong enough to support the NCAA who managed to push this so far out...into almost mid Jan. The schedule is spread so thin that it will be hard to remember when the season ends. Those commercial reminders better be good. I don't remember past years schedules but I am sure that its basically a replica. Watching games on consecutive Mon and Tuesday, well into January is getting ridiculous and hurting the game's performance. We have to compress the schedule? Even more, dump the bowl system!
Wow I didn't know the Little Caesar's Bowl was causing you so much distress. I'm sure the players on Florida International and Toledo would agree with you on dumping their bowl.

I don't get this whole "I hate all the bowls" thing. If you don't like them-- easy-- don't watch them.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
I would be in favor of the Hawaii Bowl being canceled...retroactively.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 AM

749 posts, read 2,438,086 times
Quote:

I am a huge College Football fan but the schedule and bowl system is killing the game. I understand the concept that each bowl participant gets paid but I can't believe the Nielson rating are strong enough to support the NCAA who managed to push this so far .out..into almost mid Jan. The schedule is spread so thin that it will be hard to remember when the season ends. Those commercial reminders better be good. I don't remember past years schedules but I am sure that its basically a replica. Watching games on consecutive Mon and Tuesday, well into January is getting ridiculous and hurting the game's performance. We have to compress the schedule? Even more, dump the bowl system!
I agree to an extent, like why in the heck is Kentucky in a bowl game with a 2-6 record in the SEC. Most of these bowls are played in warm weather climates and the idea is to get folks out of the frigid North and center their vacation around the game.

It's an economy boost for the hosting cities with millions to be made with plane tickets, hotels, bars and taverns, car rental, etc. It may suck for fans to watch a 7-5 vs. a 6-6 matchup but for the city of Birmingham, it's found gold.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:41 AM

Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Wow I didn't know the Little Caesar's Bowl was causing you so much distress. I'm sure the players on Florida International and Toledo would agree with you on dumping their bowl.

I don't get this whole "I hate all the bowls" thing. If you don't like them-- easy-- don't watch them.
(edit) language- I did not specifically call out a particular bowl. I said the entire schedule.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-28-2010 at 08:28 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
(edit) language - I did not specifically call out a particular bowl. I said the entire schedule.
It is called using an example to make a point. You can apply what I said to all the bowls.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:29 AM

I just don't get it. How does having so many bowl games bother people? If you don't like it then just watch the top tier bowls. No one is putting a gun to your head and making you watch every single bowl game.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 AM

Ok, we're talking exclusively about the bowl system.

Of course, no one is forcing us to watch those crap bowls but its frustrating because its a waste of our time. The real games should be played at the earliest opportunity, not freakin January. But no, you think we should continue to watch crap till freakin mid Jan.

Another commonly known point, the bowl system does not lead up to an objective except that your a bowl winner, that's it and some cash. There is no chance or opportunity to winning the national championship.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,167 times
there are a few threads about this already.

nobody's going to change anybody's mind.

I too think it's rediculous. Seriously? Florida international? Toledo? a team that's .500? there's nothing special about going to a bowl game anymore. but when every kiddie was raised with the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality that's what we get.

money trumps everything in american society. superficial and plastic to the extreme.

to me it's really a microcosim of american socieity, americans want quantity, not quality.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:17 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,604,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I too think it's rediculous. Seriously? Florida international? Toledo? a team that's .500? there's nothing special about going to a bowl game anymore. but when every kiddie was raised with the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality that's what we get.
That was a great game though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football