Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 10:38 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Speaking just for myself, but Constantino's is very expensive for what it is. has Heinen's ever brought back their lunch time crowd? Regardless, they close at 8 pm at latest.
I was in Heinen's until 9p one evening last fall -- unless they changed it... As for the lunchtime crowd, I don't know as I haven't been there around the lunch hour in some time... But I've got a feeling it's taken a hit because the food court in the rotunda has yet to reopen, as far as I know... The last I heard was, per management, its return was in their plans, but exactly when? ... it's under review. Without it and the food court seating area, a large part of Heinen's excitement is gone, although it's still the best comprehensive supermarket downtown albeit a bit pricey per Dave's or Giant Eagle; although, I've always found what Heinen's gives customers back in terms of quality of food and quality of service, makes the price differences worth it. Heinen's works as hard as any chain supermarket I've seen to be customer friendly as well as a good neighbor.

to Andrew: I wasn't aware the supermarket in Reserve Square was gone, or downsized or whatever... Admittedly, I haven't been in RS in 2 decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 04:54 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I was in Heinen's until 9p one evening last fall -- unless they changed it... As for the lunchtime crowd, I don't know as I haven't been there around the lunch hour in some time... But I've got a feeling it's taken a hit because the food court in the rotunda has yet to reopen, as far as I know... The last I heard was, per management, its return was in their plans, but exactly when? ... it's under review. Without it and the food court seating area, a large part of Heinen's excitement is gone, although it's still the best comprehensive supermarket downtown albeit a bit pricey per Dave's or Giant Eagle; although, I've always found what Heinen's gives customers back in terms of quality of food and quality of service, makes the price differences worth it. Heinen's works as hard as any chain supermarket I've seen to be customer friendly as well as a good neighbor.

to Andrew: I wasn't aware the supermarket in Reserve Square was gone, or downsized or whatever... Admittedly, I haven't been in RS in 2 decades.
Their site says 8-8 downtown, which is in line with their Willoughby and University Heights hours at least. Imo it's absolutely ridiculous to have that food area closed off.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:04 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Default Reserve Square convenience market

The Reserve Square website still lists an "on-site convenience market" as an amenity.

https://www.reservesquareapts.com/am...SABEgI3JfD_BwE

I suspect that the 23-story Reserve Square towers may be the largest apartment complex in Cleveland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_Square

Old 04-19-2022, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Their site says 8-8 downtown, which is in line with their Willoughby and University Heights hours at least. Imo it's absolutely ridiculous to have that food area closed off.

I suspect that the problem is the post-Pandemic labor shortage, and the fear of another devastating variant.

Hopefully, Heinen's hasn't negatively reevaluated its commitment to downtown after the 2020 riot damaged the grocery and forced its closure. Depending upon lease terms, Heinen's eventually may abandon downtown entirely.

<<The nonprofit shared the message Wednesday on behalf of the Warrensville Heights-based high-end grocery store chain. The statement said that the company is “taking this opportunity to revisit the design and offerings of our unique store to meet the needs of our customers.”>>

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...ntil-fall.html

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/...ot-damage.html

Heinen's hasn't made any commitment to reopen the Rotunda hot food counters that I've seen, even thought the second floor beer/wine operations have been restored. Are there currently any prepared food services and tables available in the Rotunda? What about the bakery counters? I haven't been in the Rotunda since the riot.

https://www.clevescene.com/food-drin...lcony-35982972

https://www.cleveland19.com/2022/01/...ing-shortages/

The main floor of the Heinen's used to benefit from downtown workers and from conventions, as it was a bona fide tourist attraction. Likely a recovery in such traffic will be needed before Heinen's returns the Rotunda first floor to its pre-riot, pre-COVID level of service.

If the Centennial Project in the massive Huntington/Union Trust building across Euclid Ave. from Heinen's ever is completed, it obviously would provide a massive stimulus to the downtown Heinen's.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...new-tax-credit

<<When the building was completed in 1924, it was the second largest building in the world in terms of floor space, with more than 30 acres (12 hectares) of floor space.[3] It also included the world's largest bank lobby, which today remains among the largest in the world. The lobby features enormous marble Corinthian columns, barrel vaulted ceilings, and colorful murals by Jules Guerin.>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_925_Building

Greater Clevelanders below a certain age have never experienced this Cleveland gem. I remember the awe when both Huntington and Cleveland Trust (Ameritrust) were operating busy banks in their respectively glorious lobbies. Talk about a "big city" vibe.... Old-timers often remorsefully recount the downtown retail glory days, but the lost banking industry downtown similarly was magnificent.

Last edited by WRnative; 04-19-2022 at 06:40 AM..

Old 04-19-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I suspect that the problem is the post-Pandemic labor shortage, and the fear of another devastating variant.

Hopefully, Heinen's hasn't negatively reevaluated its commitment to downtown after the 2020 riot damaged the grocery and forced its closure. Depending upon lease terms, Heinen's eventually mad abandon downtown entirely.

<<The nonprofit shared the message Wednesday on behalf of the Warrensville Heights-based high-end grocery store chain. The statement said that the company is “taking this opportunity to revisit the design and offerings of our unique store to meet the needs of our customers.”>>

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...ntil-fall.html

Heinen's hasn't made any commitment to reopen the Rotunda hot food counters that I've seen.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/...ot-damage.html

Heinen's hasn't made any commitment to reopen the Rotunda hot food counters that I've seen. Are there currently any prepared food services and tables available in the Rotunda? What about the bakery counters?

https://www.clevescene.com/food-drin...lcony-35982972

https://www.cleveland19.com/2022/01/...ing-shortages/

The main floor of the Heinen's used to benefit from downtown workers and from conventions, as it was a bona fide tourist attraction. Likely a recovery in such traffic will be needed before Heinen's returns the Rotunda first floor to its pre-riot, pre-COVID level of service.
Heinen's was pretty much fine until the riot. I remember they closed for months after they got looted. It was not fun, as a downtown resident. I think they were closed the entire summer, if memory serves. I don't see much to suggest they are afraid of Covid.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Heinen's was pretty much fine until the riot. I remember they closed for months after they got looted. It was not fun, as a downtown resident. I think they were closed the entire summer, if memory serves. I don't see much to suggest they are afraid of Covid.
As much as I supported the George Floyd protests, I absolutely despised the spin-off crime and the looting -- which were mainly perpetrated by hangers-on troublemakers who, in the end, debased the sensible rationale behind the overwhelmingly peaceful protesters. Heinen's did come back but it apparently hasn't been the same. I think they will eventually be all the way back, including the food court. I lot of people rely on Heinen's and people all over the city and county are rooting for them. With the growing downtown population, including the City Club Apts across E. 9th a few doors down and the massive Centennial (in the old Huntington/Union Trust Bank building) apt/mixed-use complex, along with neighbor Euclid Grand, under construction and/or coming online soon.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:31 PM

Here ya go, bjimmy!

https://www.clevescene.com/food-drin...cream-38771210

Old 04-20-2022, 04:45 AM

Quote:

A Mitchell's downtown could be a massive attraction, based on the business at the West 25th St. store, at least pre-pandemic when I last visited it. The West 25th store has (had?) a first floor parlor and a second floor parlor! A downtown Mitchell's might attract visitors to Playhouse Square who might otherwise have visited the West 25th St. store.

Conceivably, a Mitchell's could occupy a sizable chunk of the first floor Rotunda if tables are provided. and the operation offers sundaes, etc. Labor still will be an issue, but, conceivably, Mitchell's could provide a linchpin for reopening other food counters. Many customers likely would desire food before dessert! One problem with the Rotunda when the food counters were open was a paucity table seating during peak times.

When I last visited Yours Truly, again before the pandemic, based on my conversations with the wait staff, many were CSU students. I wonder how carefully other downtown service businesses tap this potential labor force, the difficulty being that many CSU students commute to school.

Planning a Playhouse Square visit to see "To Kill a Mockingbird," when I called Yours Truly, which doesn't take reservations, they said to plan for a 45- to one-hour wait to be assured of getting a table on a Saturday at 11:30 a.m. That was enough to scare us off.

I don't know if Yours Truly is short-staffed; vitality has returned to Playhouse Square; business has mushroomed with the opening of the Lumen apartments, etc.; or if there is a shortage of restaurant capacity in Playhouse Square (e.g., the once very busy Cowell & Hubbard has closed permanently). Likely some combination of all of the above.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:26 AM

Quote:
now that is more what I'm talking about! could be a massive draw. The one in Ohio City gets packed. I'm sure visitors will really love this!

Old 04-20-2022, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
A Mitchell's downtown could be a massive attraction, based on the business at the West 25th St. store, at least pre-pandemic when I last visited it. The West 25th store has (had?) a first floor parlor and a second floor parlor! A downtown Mitchell's might attract visitors to Playhouse Square who might otherwise have visited the West 25th St. store.

Conceivably, a Mitchell's could occupy a sizable chunk of the first floor Rotunda if tables are provided. and the operation offers sundaes, etc. Labor still will be an issue, but, conceivably, Mitchell's could provide a linchpin for reopening other food counters. Many customers likely would desire food before dessert! One problem with the Rotunda when the food counters were open was a paucity table seating during peak times.

When I last visited Yours Truly, again before the pandemic, based on my conversations with the wait staff, many were CSU students. I wonder how carefully other downtown service businesses tap this potential labor force, the difficulty being that many CSU students commute to school.

Planning a Playhouse Square visit to see "To Kill a Mockingbird," when I called Yours Truly, which doesn't take reservations, they said to plan for a 45- to one-hour wait to be assured of getting a table on a Saturday at 11:30 a.m. That was enough to scare us off.

I don't know if Yours Truly is short-staffed; vitality has returned to Playhouse Square; business has mushroomed with the opening of the Lumen apartments, etc.; or if there is a shortage of restaurant capacity in Playhouse Square (e.g., the once very busy Cowell & Hubbard has closed permanently). Likely some combination of all of the above.
Used to go to Yours Truly a lot when I lived on 12th. Saturday and Sunday mornings were always poppin' there. I'd go by myself so it wasn't always too hard to just snag a random open seat at the bar. I don't think YT is "short staffed" per se, I think it's just a popular spot. If you go during the week it is much more manageable.

Part of me is a bit sad I don't still live down there. The majority of my life at Playhoues Square was during Covid. Since i left, there is now a new sushi place on E 12, City Pop Sushi, as well as a trendy cafe, Milk and Honey, on Walnut. Boney Fingers BBQ also relocated to E 18th. With those other large apartment buildings now open, I can only imagine more is on the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: