Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:56 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcualum View Post
Hi Clevelander17, simply because of the taxes. We do realize Chagrin Falls is in Cuyahoga, but are keeping it as a possibility for the time being because it fits our criteria in all the other ways. We'd definitely prefer to find something in Summit County if possible.

I should also mention that my husband's family is in Columbus. It would be nice to cut down on the drive to visit them.
I'm curious as to why people think they will be taxed appreciably lower outside of Cuyahoga County. It's one of the most prolific fallacies out there. Unless you live in E. Podunk with a trailer park for a high school, your taxation will be comparable nearly anywhere you choose to live. Community/RITA taxation is basically state-wide and around 2%. Also, the tax is collected where you work first and then by where you live (i.e., if you work in a RITA communuty, you're paying it anyway). If its a real concern, choose a "full credit" community (like Independence). The only real taxation difference is sales tax and the rate difference is negligible. Any perceived savings will easily be consumed by the cost of a longer commute.

Btw, Independence fits your criteria almost perfectly. It also has some of the lowest property taxes in the Cleveland/Akron area. As mentioned above, you will also get full credit for local taxation as a resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 08:48 PM

33 posts, read 87,840 times
I've lived in Chagrin Falls for 5 years, in Hudson for the 10 years before that - and have a spouse who teaches in the Kenston school district, which you noted above. Based on that, I have a pretty good sense of these areas....

Schools - Chagrin Falls and Hudson are among the top ranked in the Cleveland area and Ohio - and often end up on "best of" national lists, too. Kenston is a very good school district, but is likely a half step below the other two, though their high school's newish building is fantastic. All school districts have high % of students going on to college - though at Chagrin you'll see more students heading on to Ivy League, Northwestern, NYU, etc... versus the others. Chagrin Falls has about half as many students as Kenston and Kenston has about half as many as Hudson - one of the reasons we ultimately moved to Chagrin Falls. In Hudson and Chagrin, many kids walk to school due to proximity of certain schools to neighborhoods. Sports - plenty of opportunities in each place - though can't speak directly to, say, the wrestling part of your question.

NOTE: Chagrin Falls - the school district - draws students from Chagrin Falls & Bentleyville (Cuyahoga County) and South Russell (Geauga County). As you commented, you've found some "Chagrin Falls" addressed homes that actually feed into the Kenston schools... These homes are "Chagrin Falls" in name only - and in Geauga County - and are much more commonly referred to as being in "Bainbridge" (Township). Auburn Township is also part of the Kenston school district - while Hudson, with rare exception (a few Macedonia addresses, I believe) mainly is made up of Hudson addressees - while a few Hudson addresses, on north end of town, might actually fall into the Twinsburg district (not nearly as good) - so careful. (I lived in Twinsburg for 3 years, also...)

Commute - all of the above would generally be 25-30 minute commutes to Independence - perhaps lesser without traffic - though Bainbridge or Chagrin would likely only be via highway (480) - while from Hudson you have several highway options (271/480 or 80/77), as well as backwoods options including Canal Road, Rt 303, Rt 82, Rt 21.

Small Town - Both Hudson and Chagrin Falls have picture postcard Main Streets - with shops, restaurants - and quite a few tourists/visitors... (especially in Chagrin)... - and both border on areas of historic late 1800s/early 1900s homes (including mine, in Chagrin) with lots of character. Bainbridge/Kenton is generally quite rural - lots of wells for water, etc... and no downtown of any sort.

Neighborhoods/Families/Housing - I wouldn't say that any of these areas are big on "young families" - or at least what I think of as young families... (starter homes or a step up with parents in their 20s/30s and kids maybe in the single digits ages, etc...). Around Cleveland $400K-$600K is several steps up the pricing ladder - not the norm - and, though there will be plenty of houses in that range in Hudson, Chagrin or Bainbridge - and many families - families that buy into that kind of house= our experience (living in a neighborhood in Hudson with homes in that price range) is that the average homeowner was more into their 40s in those kinds of neighborhoods (we were in our 30s)... We always felt like the kids on the block in Hudson.

Shopping/Restaurants - Depends on what you're looking for... Hudson (beyond its great downtown) is close - 10 minutes east or north - to nearby Streetsboro and Macedonia - both of which have Target, Lowes, Walmart, etc...and the usual fast food, etc... Downtown Hudson has the world's best/easiest to use grocery store - Heinen's Village Market. LOVE THAT PLACE! It's 25-30 minutes to malls (Summit Mall - which Hudsonites, who identify much more with Akron than Cleveland, on average, think is closer - though it's actually a bit further than, say, Beachwood Place, Legacy Village, Eton to the north...). From Chagrin Falls (+5-10 minutes for Bainbridge) you have the historic Chagrin downtown plus Target, Home Depot, Kohls, etc... 10-15 minutes away in Aurora/Bainbridge - and then Eton (for upscale shops/dining) about 10-15 minutes away and Beachwood Place/Legacy Village about 20 minutes away. A new shopping destination - Pinecrest - will be sprouting up, at the Harvard/271 exit in Orange Village - 10-15 minutes from Chagrin (including a relocated Whole Foods, etc...) in the next 12-18 months.

NOTE: from any of these locations, it's generally 35-40 minutes to downtown Cleveland...

Overall: Chagrin Falls - a "village" in a great location in and near some of the nicest area of Cleveland/Ohio. Lots of old homes, lots of estate homes, fewer new homes/subdivisions... Great downtown. People here seem very comfortable with themselves (my daughter had friends who lived in 1,500 square foot rentals - and in 40,000 square foot mansions and it mattered little.). Convenient to east side shopping via lovely back roads... Hudson - a suburb that identifies more with Akron than Cleveland. I wasn't a big fan of that when living there. A town of subdivisions - (and where you live is important.... this matters greatly to residents... "I liven in Chadd's Ford" blah blah blah...) - but nice ones, more than Chagrin or Bainbridge, in many price ranges and ages. Another great downtown - but Hudson always felt a bit isolated from the rest of the world (in many ways) - especially in proximity to shopping/restaurants (well, of the type we liked...). With that said, a nice play to raise a kid... much more suburban feeling than Chagrin or Bainbridge. Bainbridge - more rural than both... Less prestige (if that matters in any way) and less recognition by the general Cleveland public about where "Bainbridge" or Kenston is... Relatively isolated from shopping. Well water in many locations. Beautiful high school. Far less a community feel than Hudson or Chagrin as there is no downtown/town really...

With all that said, I'd definitely suggest you consider Aurora, too... (Of others mentioned above, Solon is not my style... And Twinsburg is a bit of a step down from the others noted... Brecksville is a nice place... and Broadview Heights Ok - but they are "south" suburbs in a city where east and west sides steal the spotlight...)

Old 11-17-2015, 07:02 AM

17 posts, read 38,014 times
Thanks for the info, Cleveland_Collector

Old 11-17-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8506 View Post
I can't be a lot of help as I just moved to Aurora 2 months ago. So far I love it. It had everything we need in a close proximity. Solon is right down the street. Chagrin is near by. A 15 minute ride to Legacy Village. We were torn between Hudson, Solon and Aurora and ended up here and I think we would have been happy in any of those areas. Our biggest selling point is that we were able to get more for our dollar here compared to the others and still get good schools/community. My only complaint is that it takes me a bit to get to rt 8 for my commute and aside from shopping and the water park there isn't a ton to do. At least that I've found yet.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the info regarding Aurora, as I have nothing else to go off of. It will be something we add to our list to check out!

Old 11-17-2015, 07:13 AM

What can I say, eyehrtfood...thank you, thank you for all of the detailed info! It's just what I was hoping for when I posted here. I appreciate your honesty regarding the areas while mentioning pros and cons for all

As I said before, we live in a large golf community here in NoVA. My kids adore it. My husband's career has us moving quite often and it's proven, by far, their favorite place. That being said, I would definitely prefer a more suburban area to rural. I think it would ease the adjustment period for them.

Hudson and Chagrin remain on our very short list. I do think either would be a great option for us! I am curious about Bainbridge...is there a negative connotation for attending Chagrin schools, but not living in Chagrin?

I should also clear up..I guess we aren't exactly a "young" family..ha! I was thinking more along the lines of families with elementary school/middle school children and not children headed off to college We are mid-thirties.

Thank you again for all of the great info. Headed out and will likely reply again later with more questions.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:00 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Have you checked out the Orange City School District?

Orange High School - Pepper Pike, Ohio - OH - School overview

Hunting Valley is the most exclusive suburb in Cleveland. Moreland Hills and Pepper Pike are also upscale. Perhaps check out the Hunt Club or Pepper Pike Country Club, given your family's enjoyment of country clubs.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...try-clubs.html

Brecksville has a popular public golf course at the Brecksville Reservation.

Here are some threads with different information if you haven't seen them.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...t-suburbs.html

See post 8 here about University Circle, one of the nation's great cultural centers with great resources for children. Many Clevelanders emphasize easy access to University Circle, especially if their children have an interest in the arts.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...questions.html

Consider the following in relation to the size of communities/high schools (e.g., Pepper Pike, Solon, Chagrin Falls):

2016 National Merit scholarship semi-finalists announced: See Ohio list | cleveland.com

Old 11-17-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Have you checked out the Orange City School District?

Orange High School - Pepper Pike, Ohio - OH - School overview

Hunting Valley is the most exclusive suburb in Cleveland. Moreland Hills and Pepper Pike are also upscale. Perhaps check out the Hunt Club or Pepper Pike Country Club, given your family's enjoyment of country clubs.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...try-clubs.html

Brecksville has a popular public golf course at the Brecksville Reservation.

Here are some threads with different information if you haven't seen them.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...t-suburbs.html

See post 8 here about University Circle, one of the nation's great cultural centers with great resources for children. Many Clevelanders emphasize easy access to University Circle, especially if their children have an interest in the arts.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...questions.html

Consider the following in relation to the size of communities/high schools (e.g., Pepper Pike, Solon, Chagrin Falls):

2016 National Merit scholarship semi-finalists announced: See Ohio list | cleveland.com

Thanks so much for the info! We actually do not golf what-so-ever In our area of NoVA, many neighborhoods are gated golf course communities...just the nature of the area, I guess. So while, yes, we do technically live in a golf course community, we don't care one way or another about golf coming back to OH. We do, however, love the other amenities our neighborhood offers us such as pools, bike trails, parks/playgrounds and schools within walking distance. For this reason, our focus is slightly more suburban coming back to Cleveland...would love to find some of these things in a neighborhood there as well

Old 11-17-2015, 11:33 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the info! We actually do not golf what-so-ever In our area of NoVA, many neighborhoods are gated golf course communities...just the nature of the area, I guess. So while, yes, we do technically live in a golf course community, we don't care one way or another about golf coming back to OH. We do, however, love the other amenities our neighborhood offers us such as pools, bike trails, parks/playgrounds and schools within walking distance. For this reason, our focus is slightly more suburban coming back to Cleveland...would love to find some of these things in a neighborhood there as well
If pools are important, focus on the availability of enclosed, heated pools. Many communities do not offer these, although local YMCAs serve as alternatives in many cases. Some communities also don't have outdoor pools during the summer. This likely is more the case in townships as opposed to cities. Check the recreation department at the website for any community under consideration. You might be able to use facilities of a nearby community by paying non-resident fees, but you might be put on a waiting list for any programs.

Some school systems have significant pools that are open to the public.

If bike trails are important, check the proximity of any prospective residence to bike paths, parks, etc.

The Cleveland Metroparks (really the Cuyahoga County park system) has excellent bike paths, as does Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:36 PM

33 posts, read 87,840 times
Quote:
What can I say, eyehrtfood...thank you, thank you for all of the detailed info! It's just what I was hoping for when I posted here. I appreciate your honesty regarding the areas while mentioning pros and cons for all

As I said before, we live in a large golf community here in NoVA. My kids adore it. My husband's career has us moving quite often and it's proven, by far, their favorite place. That being said, I would definitely prefer a more suburban area to rural. I think it would ease the adjustment period for them.

Hudson and Chagrin remain on our very short list. I do think either would be a great option for us! I am curious about Bainbridge...is there a negative connotation for attending Chagrin schools, but not living in Chagrin?

I should also clear up..I guess we aren't exactly a "young" family..ha! I was thinking more along the lines of families with elementary school/middle school children and not children headed off to college We are mid-thirties.

Thank you again for all of the great info. Headed out and will likely reply again later with more questions.
Glad I could add some thoughts to the mix.

Frist off, plenty of "young families" of the type you note ARE in all of these communities - but, especially, in Hudson.

In Hudson. We lived in a tennis/pool community there and wouldn't have traded it, or the "young families" that may daughter made friends with, for the world. My daughter was 4-14 during our time there and had plenty of neighborhood activities to keep her busy. We lived in a place called Winston Manor, just north of downtown. Chadd Ford's is a very nice swim/tennis another mile north - and is kind of the top of the top of the area, big houses, big lots, big attitudes... Hudson, Hudson Park Estates is very popular swim/tennis - though with more/older housing stock. There was a pecking order in Hudson neighborhoods. I think in Bainbridge, too. If you didn't live in "x" you might get looks. The south side of Hudson, for instance, were the smaller, older houses -and that wasn't exactly something the people on the north side/bigger houses liked... I never get that in Chagrin Falls - though we know folks with a staff/a gated estate/whose names are on hospitals, etc... and we live in a 100 year old smallish house in the center of the downtown/village (though that's kind of the deal/looked upon very well in Chagrin..) I Bainbridge, it's Auburn Township that is viewed lesser...

Chagrin has a development or two with a lake (or pool?) - but newish subdivisions aren't its style. The local red center or the Chagrin Valley athletic club (same for Bainbridge) are where people in the area go for swim/tennis. (or in your private, pool w/grotto in your mammoth back yard) There are, however, some very nice upscale (w/pool, tennis, etc...) developments in Bainbridge - for kids going to Kenston - where the folks there might ever so slightly think negatively of those who go to Kenston schools - but don't live in, say, in their Canyon Lakes (nice!) or similar subdivisions... (just sayin'....). Canyon Lakes IS very nice -a and we looked there - but settled on Chagrin. Laurel Springs is another very nice Bainbridge subdivision w/pool/tennis, etc... Close to Aurora.

There is not a negative connotation for children attending school in Chagrin who do not live in Chagrin - as those other areas (Bentleyville and South Russell) are very nice areas/well thought of - but less known places, regionally, than Chagrin Falls. There may be some 'tude from Chagrin Falls students to (in their possibly lesser) Kenston students - and there is a bit of rivalry between Bainbridge "Chagrin Falls" residents and Chagrin Falls village residents (but some would say only from the Bainbridge residents.... who don't like certain Chagrin civic events (Google: Pumpkin Roll) and whose district was gerrymandered by Chagrin Falls, years ago, to take on a strange little, heavily minority, neighborhood abutting Chagrin Falls, called "Chagrin Falls Park" into their district though it is a stone's throw from downtown Chagrin Falls - as, literally, are many Kenston school neighborhoods...) But I digress..

Old 11-17-2015, 03:35 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:

I lived in Bainbridge '99-'04, it's a great area and only couple miles from Chagrin downtown. If you live in Bainbridge you will not attend Chagrin Falls schools, most likely you will attend Kenston. There are a number of swim/tennis private clubs in Bainbridge. The two that come to mind are Chagrin Valley Athletic Club & The Wembley Club. Both have tennis leagues, swim team and paddle. They have indoor/outdoor courts & pools so lots of opportunities for kids and women, my wife and many of her friends play tennis leagues as I do as well. In fact I built the first house in the Wembley neighborhood, directly across from the club. Tough life... Both clubs are private and have dining, bar facilities. We enjoyed living there. For whatever it's worth, we almost built in Hudson in the mid-80s, bought a plot but decided against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland